Book Review

BOOK REVIEW:

I thank Mr. Yenne for a free copy of his new book.

This is my review of the new book TOMMY GUN by Bill Yenne, St. Martins Press 2009.

I will start off by saying, as everyone has probably noticed by now, that the publisher reversed the picture of the Thompson on the dust cover, including all the internal chapter pages. This is an insult to the gun and not a good sign.

After reading up to chapter 9, I had to put the book down because of pure embarrassment frustration.

This book is an embarrassment and an insult to Thompson history. This is nothing more than a collection of myths, legends, hearsay and outright lies. Mr. Yenne has done nothing more than perpetuate all the lies and myths that have been previously written. It appears that most of this came right off the bullshit section of the Internet.

I strongly recommend that Mr. Bill Yenne recall this book and re-write it, after doing extensive research in all categories and subject matter.

I challenge Mr. Yenne to provide me with his documentation for Rorke, the Post Office Thompsons and the Marine Corps information.

All of this documented information was in the last edition of my Colt Thompson Serial Numbers book. All he had to do was ask for it.

Bottom Line: Someone who knows nothing about Thompsons should not attempt to write a book about them. Original research is the only answer. Perpetuating someone else’s bullshit stories does not make a writer. Mr. Yenne should try another line of work.

Gordon Herigstad

Researcher

I couldn't agree more. I slapped the cover shut after reading the last half-sentence on page 5. Been collecting dust on the back of the toilet ever since....

I never did buy the book when i saw it at b&n book store. i ended up with Hitler's S.S. probably a better read. and great pic's...Der Fatherland.

i am kind of Burned out on Thompson reading. since i have all the Master's works on my shelf.and enough pictures to keep the picture hunters away.

thanks for the short report Gordon stay safe. Ron

Ouch!!

I guess I’m in the minority here, but I appreciated Bill writing about the Savage and Bridgeport 28’s and M1A1’s in The Big One. It was Bill’s 70+ pages on World War 2 and the numerous Medal of Honor winners with the Tommy that made the book to me worthwhile. Then again, nothing against Colt owners but i'm not much of a Colt fan. For me, it's always been the Thompson in WWII. I guess as a kid in the 70’s (prior to cable TV) the Thompson love-affair started with re-runs of Vic Morrow in “Combat!” (not Robert Stack in the “Untouchables”) that eventually led to my ’28 Savage in '06. The Colt though is a thing of beauty and with today's prices would love to scoop one up with a USMC history.

Tom

Ouch!!

I guess I’m in the minority here, but I appreciated Bill writing about the Savage and Bridgeport 28’s and M1A1’s in The Big One. It was Bill’s 70+ pages on World War 2 and the numerous Medal of Honor winners with the Tommy that made the book to me worthwhile. Then again, nothing against Colt owners but i'm not much of a Colt fan. For me, it's always been the Thompson in WWII. I guess as a kid in the 70’s (prior to cable TV) the Thompson love-affair started with re-runs of Vic Morrow in “Combat!” (not Robert Stack in the “Untouchables”) that eventually led to my ’28 Savage in '06. The Colt though is a thing of beauty and with today's prices would love to scoop one up with a USMC history.

Tom

Sgt. Saunders was using a Colt TSMG in "COMBAT!" Love is blind.

Ouch!!

Tom

A long thread on that very subject - http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/ind...ost&p=49261

I too have found the book a disapointment, especially the public enimies section which seems to propagate rumor more than fact. Books by Burrough, Maccabee, Girardin and Helmer are meticulisley researched and backed up thousands of hours in FBI files, witness statements and familily interviews. Too bad, I hoped the art work was the only stumble.

Gordon, on the bright side..... the viola cases were AWESOME! :rolleyes:

It does seem astounding to me that you could write a book about thompsons yet somehow get the illustrations wrong???

I don't understand how you could write an entire book on a piece of technology and not know EXACTLY what it looks like inside and out to the last detail.

Ouch!!

Tom

A long thread on that very subject - http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/ind...ost&p=49261

Duly noted. More of a reason to buy a Colt.

Gordon - it would be most interesting for many of us here if you could

describe some of the incorrect facts and myths in the book vs. what you

know to be the correct facts from your years of extensive research.

For example, you single out Rouke, The Post Office, and the Marine Corps

as being indicative of the authors incompetence but those of us who have

not read the book do not know what you are refering to and what claims

or facts that the author has wrong.

Regards

Bob

• 4 months later...
I just finished reading Tommy Gun by Bill Yenne and have to agree with Gordon on some of the things he said. However I enjoyed the book.It gives a different perspective and another voice in the history of the Thompson. It's not a Tracie Hill ,William Helmeror Frank Iannamico book but I did enjoy reading it. I enjoyed reading the last few chapters after Russell Maguire sold out. I didn't look at the few pictures , the other books have the best.