Phila Ordnance Wh/kahr Pattern Semi Receiver

I receive emails on and off the board about the WH/Kahr type semi receiver.

We are now making the M1 pattern receiver 100% machined and finished ready to

assemble-and-shoot, so its a firearm and can only ship to FFL.

The receiver is machined from 4140 steel with all of the correct contouring, corner

rounding, etc. The bolt pocket is machined closer to original style, but has the semi-auto

dimensions. The receiver is drilled and tapped for special flat heads screws (steel) the

same size as original rivets. (included with receiver) The ejector thread is correctly

timed and the ejector fits flat against the receiver.

This receiver has the 0.1" step and will work with West Hurley and Kahr semi-auto

parts. This receiver is intended for replacing worn out/damaged lightweights, receivers

with ruined or stripped rear sight rivet or screw holes, receivers roughly machined, etc.

or for those who want to build a gun of higher quality. Price is currently $545. (which will

go up when production gets to the point that we have to pay the excise tax)

If anyone has any questions you can email me direct at Philaord@aol.com.

Bob/Phila Ord

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/reconbob/IMG_1826.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/reconbob/IMG_1834.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/reconbob/IMG_1830.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks very nice. Utilizing a Richardson style 2S-1 receiver for a '27 would IMO, be more beneficial since it pretty much duplicates the force to draw the actuator back like a real TSMG, since the bolt cavity has been extended all the way back, unlike those of N/K.

On that note, any update on the Polston, or is it dead?

I know that Doug proposes in his catalog a receiver with the pocket extended

all the way to the back. In addition you need to drill the recoil spring holes in the

bolt deeper, use different/longer springs, and make/modify the pilot assembly

with longer guides so the springs don't kink out.

So far I have not found anyone who has actually DONE this. Remember, Doug

is not selling a finished receiver, he is suggesting a way to finish a receiver.

Doug (to my knowledge) has proposed it, but not actually done it. I am willing to

be corrected but I don't see any way this modification would significantly reduce the spring

pressure/cocking force from 29 lbs. because since the bolt starts recoiling from

a dead-stop position (unlike open bolt guns where the forward momentum of

the bolt absorbs much of the recoil force) you need the heavy springs so you

don't beat up the gun. Maybe it would reduce the cocking force some, but not much.

If you have done this and you know that it works please share your results.

I started a new topic with the Polston update.

Bob

I was going by what Doug had listed in his catalog. I haven't seen one, nor have heard of anyone who has completed one. From the PIC on his website, it appears that at least one was finished.

receiver.jpg

I realize other parts need modification, and new parts needed.

I was using the catalog for reference. I did not know there was a photo on the

website, and yes, it sure looks like a finished example of what I call the "long recoil"

setup. I wonder if it was built into a gun or if the photo is as far as it got? Thanks

for posting.

Bob

Lionhart, nice to see you post again, I was kind of worried you had dissappeared. I've got an M1 semi receiver here I will mill out the bolt pocket all the way. Easier to do this on a M1 than a 27 as the actuator slot needs to be lenthened too. I actually did this on two post sample machine gun conversions (and M1 and 1927) using a specially converted bolt, but never tried the standard semi auto fire in either.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to dredge an old post, but...

I just got a Ciener 22 semi conversion kit. The price was right, but I have no semi! So I was wondering about this PO rec... what else would be necessary to make a 22 semi out of this? I know little about the semi lowers, can they be found at a reasonable cost and then with a few other parts build the gun?

What is the shape of this rec - exactly the same as a WH/Khar? So it would look like a semi as well as fit the semi kit I have?

Of course I would like to use a parts kit F/A lower, but what would be required to do that?

Semi's ain't my bag! Yet!

TIA for info,

Mike

Sorry to dredge an old post, but...

I just got a Ciener 22 semi conversion kit. The price was right, but I have no semi! So I was wondering about this PO rec... what else would be necessary to make a 22 semi out of this? I know little about the semi lowers, can they be found at a reasonable cost and then with a few other parts build the gun?

What is the shape of this rec - exactly the same as a WH/Khar? So it would look like a semi as well as fit the semi kit I have?

Of course I would like to use a parts kit F/A lower, but what would be required to do that?

Semi's ain't my bag! Yet!

TIA for info,

Mike

I have a Thompson M1 R/R made in semi-auto specs with all the parts needed to build it including the machining plans for the receiver. It's for sale... Not cheap but for sale.....

Mike, if you are wanting to make a semi auto 22 thompson, then a semi phili ordnance receiver would work. You would need the receiver, and standard barrel and sights, and the semi auto parts of the lower put into your full auto lower along with a couple spacers. You would also need to address the little "step" at the front of the receiver that keeps normal semi and full auto uppers and lowers from mixing. That is what would need to be done.

Now, would you have a functional .22 semi auto from all that? Before I was a manufacturer, I had a semi 1927 and I've got two of these kits here and the barrel liner in one has such an open chamber that the fired cases would commonly split along the side. Function was not at all dependable, and lastly, the accuracy was very bad.

Thus in my opinion, it would be a lot of work for very likely a poorly functioning gun. Far better to sell the kit to some collector and simply buy a ciener or blackdog .22 kit and stick it into your TSMG. You can even use the semi setting on your gun if you wish to experience semi auto .22 fire....

Hope this helps.

Dan

Z, What do you mean by R/R receiver? Do you mean you have a unfinshed semi reciever that is a registered transferable machine gun (but not finished)? Or do you mean you have a Richardson semi auto size receiver that can be made into a standard semi auto?

Dan

Number two....

Hi Bob,

Could you make a .22 bolt and the 16" .22 barrel with integral compensator you mentioned before that would fit your new semi receiver? Could it be made so that original 1928A1 lower parts would fit? That would make a very fun gun to shoot.

Dick

Dan,

If the barrel liner is crap, maybe I could use a 22 cal barrel (where's fortyfivecal?) made up in the Thompson shape. Or of course an A5 barrel.

Blaine,

I am interested in your R/R. shoot me an email with details... but I may need a 28 instead because I think that is what the kit is for (27 actually).

Last question is where do you find a semi lower floating around?

You could have a special .22 barrel made, and that would probably be a good route to go, but it would need a feed ramp installed so a bit of specialized work. Probably install and index mark the barrel, get the headspace right to work with the bolt, then work out the feed ramp. You could probably do it a couple ways if you think it through a bit. Take a look at your barrel liner, slide a 22 shell into it and see how much wiggle room it has. On the conversion, the ejector holds the liner in place. It doesn't extend the full barrel length and use a nut on the end like the ciener/blackdog ones which I think is part of the problem as it can wiggle around and probably is the cause of accuracy issues.

Kahr will sell you a semi auto lower...

Dan