Trouble Installing My 80% Display Receiver On My Lower

Perhaps I'll get this resolved myself before anyone replies but I just got my Philly Ordnance 80% receiver and I'm trying to get it on my lower. It was going on very tight and now it's halfway on and just stuck. It's won't budge at all now in either direction. Am I doing something wrong?

Even when I first place the upper onto the lower I can see that there is no play at all. It's so tight that even if I was able to get the upper onto the lower there wouldn't be any need for the latch spring and button as there would be no way it would move at all. I don't have another lower to try it on though :(

Who made the display receiver?

I doubt it was a Philly Ord.

As in all things in life, you get what uou pay for.........

-Darryl

I got my reciever from Bob and it slid right on the lower and has normal play. You have checked to see if their is anything under the reciever that is holding it. It could be a bolt head from where you bolted your accuator knob or bolt. Just a thought.

Good luck

Frank

I actually did get a Philly Ordnance receiver. I have no experience with Thompsons so I can't say if it's the upper or my lower parts kit. I now Bob has a very good reputation so maybe it's an issue with my lower? I'm hoping I can send it back to Bob so he can have a look to see what the issue might be. Even when I first start to slide it on it's VERY tight. I'm going to have somebody else take a look at it too, maybe another set of eyes might help but I think there is an issue somewhere, just not sure where...

Phillies,

Don't force anything and create a bigger problem. Contact Bob. He will make it right. Bob will probably see this thread and contact you. He likes happy customers.

Yes, I would have jumped on this earlier but I was traveling. I have made many receivers

and we take special care with the fit of the trigger frame. The fit of the trigger frame to the

receiver is checked before the receiver is removed from the milling fixture so it can be corrected

if necessary.

Anyone who gets a receiver from Phila Ord and has trouble fitting anything can send the

non-fitting parts back with the receiver and we will identify and correct the problem. 99% of the

time it is not the receivers.

If a barrel does not fit (and its been a very long time since this was reported) most of the time

its because the barrel is an aftermarket barrel, or because the tip of the square thread has been

bent when the barrel was unscrewed from the receiver and pushed against by the flexing of the

grip mount.

If a trigger frame does not fit most of the time its some slight damage or defect to the frame.

The frame could be bent or warped, or there could be a slight dent or ding on the rails or some

other glitch.

This adjustment and fitting is done at no charge to the customer. The exception to this is when

there is a REAL problem such as a badly bent frame which would require straightening, or as

mentioned a frame that someone tried to "tighten" , or, we have even had some rewelded frames

which were badly done.

I will report back when I get Phillies parts...

Bob Bower/Philly O

I have received Phillies receiver (made by Phila Ord) and trigger frame. An intitial

inspection seems to indicate that there is some type of burr or galling of the trigger

frame. Here is a photo of the receiver - note the bluing is scratched off along the rail

as far along as the frame would slide on:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/reconbob/IMG_2640.jpg

I have tried several trigger frames we have here and they all slide right on without

difficultly:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/reconbob/IMG_2644.jpg

I am assuming by cleaning and deburring the trigger frame here that all will be

well. One factor might be that the trigger frame has been painted black and maybe

there is some crud mixed in with the paint stuck in the corners of the rails.

Bob/Phila Ord

• Upvote 1

If it's what I think it is I've seen it on a lot of the Russian 28 kits I've handled and some of the as-new 20 round mags also. I have no knowledge of what it is but I imagined it was some sort of rust proofing. The parts looked as if they had been dipped into it.

Bob D

I started on Phillies trigger frame, and after more checking it turns out the

frame is bent. Here are photos of the frame on a granite surface plate. The frame

is supposed to be dead flat. You can see that with a weight sitting on the front part

of the frame the tail is lifted far enough above the surface of the plate that you can see

daylight. You can fit a 0.008" shim under the frame at the back. This frame will have

to be straightened with a press.

I do not think that bending like this is caused by any normal use or handling of the

trigger frame. When a frame is assembled to a receiver you can't bend it. If its disassembled

from the receiver you'd break the stock off if you were trying to bend the frame like this.

I have seen this before and my opinion is that this is a result of long-term stress relieving

of the steel. If the original blank was not, or improperly stress relieved (war time production)

eventually the part will bend since it is so thick on one end and thin on the other.

Bob

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/reconbob/IMG_2646.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/reconbob/IMG_2645.jpg

I just happened to notice that the front buttstock bolt mount is pinned to the frame. I had an AOC M1 parts kit with the frame having the front buttstock bolt mount completely machined. My WH 1927 had the front mount pinned. I also have an M1(A1) frame remnant that is also completely machined with a GEG stamp near the rear stock bolt hole and an "A" to the left and a "C" to right of the rear stock bolt hole. Could the warped frame be a Numrich frame? If not, does anybody else have a G.I. frame with a pinned front mount?

Doug

The bent frame is an original military frame with the GEG stamp. I wonder how

you could bend a frame like this even if you wanted to. There is no way it could be

done by hand even if you tried - you can't get any leverage. Even if you wanted to

bend it on purpose you'd have to set it up somehow in a press or a vise to be able

to mechanically bend it. Doing this would scar/damage the frame somewhere besides

the bend. Thats why I am sticking with the stress relief...

Bob