New Wood Grips.

Hello everyone,

Just loving my new toy. It can eat the ammo. My question is where can I get new wood grips to replace my plastic black grips on this Thompson 1927A1 COMMANDO. And without to paying an arm and a leg. Seems every site I find there out of stock.

Thanks,

Mike

Hello everyone,

Just loving my new toy. It can eat the ammo. My question is where can I get new wood grips to replace my plastic black grips on this Thompson 1927A1 COMMANDO. And without to paying an arm and a leg. Seems every site I find there out of stock.

Thanks,

Mike

Could not ask for a better view of the Stembridge barrel and BFA

Are you sure your black plastic is not painted wood?

If it is wood, you can strip the paint and refinish -check the pinned forums for refinishing information.

Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Mike

Could not ask for a better view of the Stembridge barrel and BFA

Are you sure your black plastic is not painted wood?

If it is wood, you can strip the paint and refinish -check the pinned forums for refinishing information.

Yes they are or a type of fiber wood.I did thing I could strip, but removed trigger grip and looked under neath. Not real wood.

Mike,

I have the walnut buttstock from my Kahr 1927a1, wood only you can put your hardware (buttplate and swivel) on it . $20+$5 USPO

Dave

Mike,

Seveal years ago I had access to 1921 wood. I had a prominent gun stock maker (friend of the family) here in central Missouri make me several buttstocks and some vertical grips. I didn't want to machine my 1927A1 lower to accept the screw-on type adapter plate for the detachable buttstock so here is what I did. I took one of 1921 copies and decided to convert it to fit my 27A1. I filled in the slide area and the through hole for the rear screw that attaches the slide with bondo. Then I drilled a new hole for the rear mounting screw (with recess) to match the 27A1 lower. So it bolts on using the 27A1 mounting screws. I wanted to keep the rear of the stock like a 27A1, so I added bondo to the back of the stock so that the 27A1 buttplate would mount up, eliminating the cutout for the 1921 style buttplate. I was going to use an M1A1 buttplate (I still have it) that has the trap door in it. The 1921 stocks I had made were machined with the hole in the rear for the oiler. I also added a little bondo to the front of the stock so it would match up "perfectly" with the lower. I was thinking I would then go back to the gun stock maker and have some copies made. In the mean time the stock maker retired and sold the business to people I don't know. If the stock was going to be used on a commando I would guess you could simply paint it black to suit you and you would have a 27A1 with a 1921 looking stock! Or you could remove the bondo and install a 1928 style buttplate, remove the bondo on the front of the stock, treat the wood and run it that way. You would have to put some kind of a false finish on the area where the slide goes as the bondo would have to remain or you would have a big gap there (or remove the bondo and re-fit it with a walnut plug to suit). Plus treat the area where the original rear screw hole was drilled for the slide (or plug with walnut). Or send my prototype to Deerslayer and have him make you a new copy! The 1921 style buttstock really makes the 27A1 style guns look a lot better (in my opinion)! Once Deerslayer reads this, he'll probably have these available in the near future. He could provide you a complete set of wood (1921 style!!).

Mario Scarpino

What about that front sling barrel band on Bogey's TSMG?????? Is that a Hollywood invention or did some one (British?) use them? Looks like it would go well with the vertical front grip.

Doug Richardson offers a similiar band.

Does anyone have a photo of their actual military or police use?

Dan block makes excellent wood grips I would talk to him... He just made me a buttstock and it's worth every penny. Are you guys talking about the barrel band on the horizontal front grip? If so weaponssgt, who posted earlier on this thread has a ETO pic of a guy with the barrel band on the fore grip. Does anyone have examples or ideas on how to put a sling mount on the front vertical pistol grip for a 1928? (I'm building one from a kahr 1927, but still want a sling without going to a horizontal front grip.) thanks

British style with correct Enfield offset swivel.

-Darryl

My Savage Model of 1928 (civilian) had a ring for a sling-swivel similar to the type shown in the Bogart picture when I got it. It didn't seem original so I took it off. It was nicely machined and blued, but had no markings or manufacturer's name on it.

I assumed it was an aftermarket item that was put on by someone from the PD who had the gun before me.

(I know it's around somewhere since I never get rid of any firearms stuff, but where it is at the present time is unknown.)

The WWI Enfield rifle swivels were correct for the horizontal front grip Navy Overstamps by Colt.

I've also seen other modified Colts with vertical front grips using the same swivel.

As far as the WWII Thompsons, I think the Brit's used any comparable available swivel on this

mod. They also relocated the butt swivel from the bottom to the top of the butt stock.

The vacant mortised hole on the bottom was infilled by the armorers.

These swivel mods were not very popular with the American troops, so it may not be

appropriate for your needs.

I haven't checked, but I'm sure it's covered in the American Thunder book.

You'll find answers to most of your questions in it.

-Darryl

I have not seen AT2 available lately, but you will find this very valuable too! (not mine...!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120876621345?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I can't find the bOok for sale, otherwise I probably wouldn't have so many questions your right

http://www.ohioordna...oks_Manuals.cat

Try this place.

Jim C 351

They have it, but I thought American Thunder was what I needed? Is American Thunder II the same thing?

WWII502,

American Thunder II is the one you want. American Thunder is the original book (2000), but most of the content from it is also included in updated ATII (2004). See the FAQ section for photos of both books.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com