Synthetic Motor Oil In A Thompson?

Located just above the pistol grip, I use a Fram 34-A . Manual says every 300 rounds, but I think you can do 500.

( good one BTW )

From a mechanical engineering professor's viewpoint (for whatever that's worth), I think you could stand in front of the motor oil shelves at Autozone, close your eyes, and pick any oil at random and it would work just fine in a Thompson.

The pressures and clearances are so different (and so less stringent) in a Thompson compared to a modern engine that any oil that would work at all in an IC engine (i.e. any sold by a reputable company) would work just fine in a Thompson.

• Upvote 1

From a mechanical engineering professor's viewpoint (for whatever that's worth), I think you could stand in front of the motor oil shelves at Autozone, close your eyes, and pick any oil at random and it would work just fine in a Thompson.

The pressures and clearances are so different (and so less stringent) in a Thompson compared to a modern engine that any oil that would work at all in an IC engine (i.e. any sold by a reputable company) would work just fine in a Thompson.

That sums it up quite nicely as far as "will it work'. Low cost and availability of motor oil vs the various gun oils is also a consideration. As for gun storage, look to control RH and temperature swings first, then assure there's a light coat of oil on it.. Oh and don't store your guns in cloth or leather....

Bob D

Years ago I bought a "miracle syn gun grease used by the military", it came in a very small squeeze tube and was very expensive.

When I started getting low on it, I ordered another tube. I was surprised to get a super-sized grease gun tube of the same grease.

It was the same grease from the same manufacturer, on the grease tube it had recommendations for wheel bearings and other high sheer

automotive use.

In my mind, it's all a ploy to charge the gun guy more for it being sold as a gun product, similar to what happens to boat products to boat guys.

It's the same product, just packaged and marketed differently with a much inflated price.

I've been using Napa Sil-Glyde Lubricating Compound in all of my guns, including the 1911's.

It's inexpensive and has all the properities that I need.

Non melting

Non frezing

Non gumming

Weatherproof

The advertising and looks of most fishing lures is there to catch the fisherman,,,not fish.

-Darryl

Thanks for all the info folks, I have learned a lot. i may try the Mobil 1 someday, but I think for right now i will stick with my Hoppe's 9, Rem Oil and Mil Tec Grease.

Interesting topic, thanks. It's one of those whatever you're comfortable with things probably. I don't have enough guns to worry about gun oil costs or anything, so I'll just keep doing my normal thing, plus I get to go to the gun store and BS with the ClassIII guy, look for 38 Supers and stuff like that.

Always interesting to hear another take on something like this.

OCM

I think any oil that also protects against rust will work just fine. If it was me, I'd use a light

thin oil. The greatest concern with Thompsons is you don't want to put a synthetic oil that

is not formulated to combat rust and store your gun and discover that it has rusted - even if

its only a speck! And usually we are cleaning our guns, so the oil is cleaned off and replaced.

So, a thin oil to lubricate and disolve the power residue. There are many good oils for this.

A couple of things - WD-40 is a good rust protector, but a poor lubricant. Hoppes No. 9

bore cleaner (which smells so good) was first formulated back in the old days when copper

fouling was a problem because they had not yet figured out how to make hard bullet jackets

.So one of the things that made it so popular was that it disolved copper...which means

it also disolves nickel. So keep away from nickle plated guns and parts. (M1921). Also

Hoppes No. 9 is useless for cleaning a bore through which you have fired corrosive ammo.

Completely useless.

Bob

Edited by reconbob

I use Mobil 1 5w30 in my SBR thompson. when i clean i put regular gun oil ( a light coat ) for storage. as far a a rust inhibiter mobil 1 in my mind works great. you have to coat the whole gun before you shoot get it hot and the metal poors will open up and the oil will soak in to the gun. i tryed this on a shot gun i have had rust issues with. works good. in my mind people like a moter oil for there lubercant because it stands up to the high temps. if you take a barring out of a crank it will not rust for a long time because the oil soaks in to the metal. but back to the regular gun oil i use gunslick. it dont sting and i think it is a little thicker than rem oil and others.

Oh off the thompson subject i use 30w or 40w in my 1919. i have never had a problem after i switched to that.

Ryan