Late Mp 40 Bnz 44

soe

• 2 weeks later...

Is your 40 all matching? I'm surprised that the bbl nut is stil a hex as Steyr went to a 2 sided bbl nut in late 1943.

Jerrys - Simplicity of mfgr. The pistol grip & end cap are now one piece.

I'm looking for both a 44 u. 45 dated MP 40. Course the "hexspurtz" say that MP 40 production was discontinued in 1943. Guess that means your 44 and several others that I have seen over the years don't exist. Same must be true of the bnz 45 ser nr in the 9000 range that I held in 1958 or 9 was also a figment of my imagination. Yeah right - so much for the so called "hexspurtz!"

Sarge

Seen the same one you are showing here, but have never seen or heard of a 1945 date MP-40. I own a 660 code 1940 date stamped MP-40, and only about 23 of those known now in the MP-40 database.so not super Rare by any mean's. >but not that many around compared to 1941 through 1943 dates.i would trade my 1940 date in a minute for a 1945 late war date MP-40.I popped a quick note to a guy in Germany who know's MP-40's pretty well. and he mentioned would like to see a picture of the end cap.or side cap..since can't confirm either. more strange things are out there. heck maybe a guy thought a 1945 Bringback MP-40 would be neater then a 1940 date. Sarge you should have had that camera in 1959.. heck you could have sold the pictures to collector's.i would have bought one for sure.{ and on the barrel nut have seen both.}

now a 1939 dated 660 code Mp-40 would be neat to find.> have never seen one of those either. Time will tell. Ron/Colt21a

• 2 weeks later...

Want to trade your 660 40 for a 122 40? Since all my other 40s (41, 42 u. 43) are bnz except that one I'd sure like to find a bnz 40.

I found one many years ago, but before we could get anything worked out the guy moved.

No such thing as a bnz 39 40. Steyr didn't begin production till 1940. Besides anything dated 39 would be an MP 38. My 38 is a 1940, wish it was an earlier year.

Sarge

Want to trade your 660 40 for a 122 40? Since all my other 40s (41, 42 u. 43) are bnz except that one I'd sure like to find a bnz 40.

I found one many years ago, but before we could get anything worked out the guy moved.

No such thing as a bnz 39 40. Steyr didn't begin production till 1940. Besides anything dated 39 would be an MP 38. My 38 is a 1940, wish it was an earlier year.

Sarge

Sarge if mine was a run of the mill 40 sure. but since its a early slabside and have paperwork from the Vet that took it off a surrendering waffen s.s.troop.At the battle of the Colmar Pocket in Feb.1945 with his letter signed and pic's and original bring back paperwork.No chance. I have seen about a hundred or more. that don't have the story or proof to back it. up i consider mine just as nice as #5692 in Franks MP-40 book.if not nicer.and i know nota 1939 date MP-40 out there unless on some prototype table, and never did see 1945 end cap dated one.After they started going over to MP-43'S they considered Mp-40's.run of the mill.I feel the 1944 year was the last great for a fine sub-gun.before i stepped into the Thompson scene,I loved the MP-40's.Sold my one and only MP-38 over 30 years ago.{ to buy another minty Colt 21a} stupid move, some collector in Ohio is still sitting on it i'm sure. .Colt21a /MP-40 guy.

Ron, I"m a little bit surprised that after dealing for so many years with Thompsons that the final sub gun that you decided to keep was an MP40. So is it the appeal of an Mp 40 that made you keep one rather than a Thompson, or the value of the gun... just curious, and do you still shoot it now and then? I myself love both, and I admit it would be hard to part with my MP38, but hate to part with the Tommy gun too! Eventually we must part with all of them but I don't want to go there, no....not yet, not yet.

Mike Hammer

M.H. it might have been me looking at a copy of smith small arms of the world when young, anda ww2 vet showing me at a young age a MP-40, and his bringback stuff in Chicago, and going to Rockwell Hall, seeing flags on the wall and all.and when we moved in 1959 the house was once owned by a German priest who had a Swastika bricked into the front of the home.From that time i was interested in the German stuff.crazy huh?

then i went Thompson. then decades later back to the MP-40/over the years i have owned all the German stuff mg-34's mg-42's mp-38 mp-40,I always thought the gun was a cool design with folder and sleek looks.and the Tommy always looked cumbersome but still cool.my idea gangsters and Thompson's neat waffen s.s. with mp-40's neat also.funny how the mind work's sometimes twisted.

but i'm still a good guy.and go for the history more then anything.some today and even yesterday its all about the value and investment and $$$$.

that never entered the picture with me sure you have to have it today. my first one was #349F Mp-40 for $500.00 back around 1973/74 then a bunch followed after that. along with #4985 Thompson for $900.00, bought the THompson from L.e.s. Skokie ,il. and the MP-40 from Roger Cox.and heck 5,000 pieces after that. the rest is history and was all fun.. glad i lived it and enjoyed it i put more into it in forty years then some could do with a 100 year's.and it seems you always remember the first one's well a tommy and a Mp-40, the great duo of "History"

I won't even get into Browning Hi-powers, Garands,P-38's.Luger's, other Colt's, ak-47's and belt feed's.I had a old m.g. buddy come by last week.{ 25 years in the bizz} and we went over some of the old m.g. pic's.>i only Took pic's of around 50% of the stuff when i had the time.and he said WOW!you had the freaking neat stuff.I figure i had the record for minty new in box stuff for sure over the forty year's.When guys mention certain guns i would say yep got one new in box..I could probably think of twenty out of thousands i wish i had back. {and thats all} but hey we only rent the stuff on the stop over here anyhow. so it pays to get lean later on.Wow you did ask why i liked the 40 and i come up with all this... Must be the Lady serving good coffee to me this morning started it.or the cooler temps in Arizona in the Morning.

ha ha Ron Colt21/ Mr. Mp-40

• 3 weeks later...

Oh well, I had to ask. I used to know where a bnz 40 was, but it wasn't papered so I had to leave it alone. Not a big deal, but some day maby. More important that I find a 44 u. 45 dated MP 40s so I have each year of production. I've got each year for the MP 43/44s, but lack some marking variants.

I've also had a lot of "gunz" over the years and have gotten rid of some, But still got a lot. Got rid of my MG 34 years ago and all but 1 of my Mg 42s. Still have 2 BARs & 2 M1A1 Thompsons, a Bren and 3 Stens. Currently have 9 MP 40s - 4 are tube gun shooters and 4 MP 43/44-STg 44s. I've also got a dozen of the Garands you didn't get and 65 K98ks with 65 P.38s to go along with them. Browning HPs I've only got 3 - looking for 2 more, as well as 3 Lugers.

And then there is all the misc stuff - M1 Carbines, Winchesters & Colts for example.

Of course I have been at it a lot longer than you, 57 years to be exact. Got my first MP 40 and Thompson in the mid 50s.

I think they cost me $20 and $25 at the time. My first MG 42 cost me $100 in 1961.

Sarge

Sarge glad you made it back here.all sounds like nice stuff.just now set up the trust to leave it to the n.r.a. museum or someplace so others can enjoy it before the vultures pick it clean and its all spread out all over the planet.

I miss all my old stuff.but hey can't fit much in the box.and God has a nice shiny gold sword for me to wield.no paper trail or registration at all. ha ha..I'm down to just four p-38's now.and the last of the MP-40'S, if and when the s.h.t.f. have to travel light.since any fool knows a two to three ton safe is not easy on the back bone.now no more shooting have to conserve ammo for whatever the future may bring on whatever time we have left.

yep mortality the evil of gun collecting.and remember to keep them all well oiled.take care Ron/Colt21a

• 2 weeks later...

What to do with all your gunz is to buy a double deep casket and have them put on the bottom. That way you can sleep peacefull cause you know where they is.

Don't know exactly what I'm going to do with all my gunz, but one thing is certain - NO museum is going to get any of them!!! I've had to much first hand experience with museums, way to many are staffed with idiots, incompetants or thieves.

Either they will end up setting in a vault or get stolen or traded off.

I have a nephew that may get his pick of the pile and the rest will get sold off to other collectors.

Haven't really decided yet.

Sarge

• 4 weeks later...