Thompson M1 Serial Numbers

Rust,

Unless you are getting a great deal, there will probably be better M1's for sale in the future. It has been my experience that excuses for something out of place, missing or just not right are red flags that should not be ignored. Remember, at some point in the hopefully very distant future you or you or your estate will be selling this piece of history. These same observations, i.e. problems or issues, will be present then. If the asking price is great for a shooter grade Thompson then you are probably alright. If you are trying to convince yourself this Thompson is correct, then do yourself a favor and continue your search. I have not studied the M1 Thompson enough to make any comments but some very knowledgeable members have made some excellent posts. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I guess better is relative. The original purpose of this post was to discover more information about my M1's (I call it mine, haven'e started the paper work on it yet) seemingly high serial number. And the issue of the apparent missing proof marks. Owner Mike has been terribly up front about the gun, and has produced many fine images for me too drool over. By all accounts, it is a beautiful gun (makes some of the ones posted above look down right ugly!). I'm really after an investment, something to shoot...

By all accounts it is a correct Savage M1. That was never in question in my mind. Just somewhat enigmatic. But you all have posited very plausible explanations as to why it appears to "pristine". To me, no amount of polishing (if that is in fact what became of the proof marks) and refinishing really detracts from the fact it is a Thompson from the 40's. But I can see how it would depend on ones perspective and what you're looking for in a gun. It will look savage next to my WH 28 which, by the way, is the most beautiful of them all;-)

Thanks for all the posts guys! C

• 4 weeks later...
511626 for my M1.

Mike, got questions about your M1. Please check your PM..

I just like your M1's historical lineage - just curious as to the '68 amnesty - when a vet. registered class III firearm - did he have to list what theatre it was acquired - PTO, ETO, Korea, Vietnam etc.. Which then could be potentially verified on the FOIA?

Tom

No, that information was not required. The 1968 Amnesty was for all unregistered NFA weapons, not just Vet bringbacks.