Apex Gun Parts has Original Sten Mk II Bayonets Available

I noticed in Small Arms Review (SAR) Magazine that Apex Gun Parts has original Sten Mk II bayonets available. They're not cheap, but I had to order one when I saw them. There are 2 different manufacturer markings available, and they're either $325 or $345. Original Sten bayonets are hard to find. I felt I had to add one to my collection. When I get it, I'll add photos to the Sten pinned reference section.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

It's the most expensive bayonet I've ever purchased. Not sure if it was a good purchase yet, but I have a pretty good Sten accessory collection to accompany my Mk II, and I just went with it, since they are very hard to find.

David

• 2 months later...

I noticed in Small Arms Review (SAR) Magazine that Apex Gun Parts has original Sten Mk II bayonets available. They're not cheap, but I had to order one when I saw them. There are 2 different manufacturer markings available, and they're either $325 or $345. Original Sten bayonets are hard to find. I felt I had to add one to my collection. When I get it, I'll add photos to the Sten pinned reference section.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Thanks for mentioning the original STEN bayonets that we have for sale at APEX Gun Parts.

We purchased these when we bought all the STEN kits.

The STEN bayonets were pretty exciting as no real quantity of them has been available on the surplus collectors market.

We had these examined and consulted with the gent in the UK (Graham Priest, author of "The Spirit of the Pike: British Socket Bayonets of the Twentieth Century") who appears to be the only person who has examined any of these and has taken the time to document these STEN bayonets.

We were hoping to gain a true understanding of all the markings found on the bayonets, but that knowledge is being gained SLOWLY!

There just isn't much reference material from that time.

Below are images of the two variants we are selling.

Richard

STEN_MK2_Bayonet_E_Marked.jpg

STEN_Bayonet_Z_Marked.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looking a bit closer, I think the STEN's shown in that photo are all Mark 5's.

The Mark 5 STEN used the standard issue spike bayonet that interchanges with the #4 Lee-enfield service rifle.

I have read that Mark 2 STEN's and bayonets were used during the drop at ARNHEM.

I do like seeing these wartime photos!

Richard

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Thanks for mentioning the original STEN bayonets that we have for sale at APEX Gun Parts.

The STEN bayonets were pretty exciting as no real quantity of them has been available on the surplus collectors market.

We had these examined and consulted with the gent in the UK (Graham Priest, author of "The Spirit of the Pike: British Socket Bayonets of the Twentieth Century") who appears to be the only person who has examined any of these and has taken the time to document these STEN bayonets.

We were hoping to gain a true understanding of all the markings found on the bayonets, but that knowledge is being gained SLOWLY!

Richard

GP is probably the best man to authenticate them so there you have it, It's a shame you can't send to the UK or I think I'd have one to replace my repro. Or do you ship bayonets to the UK, I know your laws are equally as stupid as ours.

Richard,

You are correct, I was in a hurry when I posted that and did not catch which Sten model they were carrying.

The Mark 5 STEN used the standard issue spike bayonet that interchanges with the #4 Lee-enfield service rifle.

I have read that Mark 2 STEN's and bayonets were used during the drop at ARNHEM.

Richard

I find it interesting that at 11.5" a repro bayonet fits an original loop stock, however these at 12" do not? Any reason the Brits would make a MKII bayonet that won't fit a MKII butt stock? I had a pic to post, but for some reason I cannot post it or even post the link? I wonder if the expert took out a tape measure?

This is a MKII type 3 stock I am referring to of which pictures seem to be very scarce as well? I have a couple other loop stocks (originals, one that came on an original gun) that are the same length as this type 3 so I'd say the stock length is consistent based on that.

Edited by johnsonlmg41

Richard,

You are correct, I was in a hurry when I posted that and did not catch which Sten model they were carrying.

Richard

No worries!

It is a great photo!

Thanks for sharing it!

Richard

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Richard

GP is probably the best man to authenticate them so there you have it, It's a shame you can't send to the UK or I think I'd have one to replace my repro. Or do you ship bayonets to the UK, I know your laws are equally as stupid as ours.

Unfortunately I would have to be licensed as an export business and would have to have paperwork in place to ship bayonets overseas.

The US declares bayonets as "implements & articles of war".

As a policy we ship no parts or products outside of the USA.

Our expert on Commonwealth material communicated with Graham Priest, sent pictures and talked over details of these bayonets with him.

We have sold quite a few to collectors and everyone has seemed pleased about the bayonets.

Richard

I find it interesting that at 11.5" a repro bayonet fits an original loop stock, however these at 12" do not? Any reason the Brits would make a MKII bayonet that won't fit a MKII butt stock? I had a pic to post, but for some reason I cannot post it or even post the link? I wonder if the expert took out a tape measure?

This is a MKII type 3 stock I am referring to of which pictures seem to be very scarce as well? I have a couple other loop stocks (originals, one that came on an original gun) that are the same length as this type 3 so I'd say the stock length is consistent based on that.

These bayonets are not designed to fit in the loop stock. They were designed to be worn on the belt using the P37 Bayonet frog. Perhaps you've seen one fitted to the clips in the stock that were intended for the cleaning rod.

Hmmmmm should I buy one of these? If so, which one is correct for a WW2 MK2 Sten?

I have that WW2 amnesty registered bring back Sten with an original ww2 sling, so this would be badass, but damn...$300+ for a bayonet. Decisions decisions.....

Hmmmmm should I buy one of these? If so, which one is correct for a WW2 MK2 Sten?

I have that WW2 amnesty registered bring back Sten with an original ww2 sling, so this would be badass, but damn...$300+ for a bayonet. Decisions decisions.....

If it helps, the gent who assisted with the research on these bayonets already owned an original example of one.

He had purchased it years ago out of a documented collection.

The price he paid was close to $500 and that one was devoid of most of the original finish.

To our knowledge all the bayonets for the STEN Mark 2 are WWII production.

The bayonet was phased out of production before the war was over.

Richard

Fair enough. Which one is better? What are the differences between the E and the Z?

If it helps, the gent who assisted with the research on these bayonets already owned an original example of one.

He had purchased it years ago out of a documented collection.

The price he paid was close to $500 and that one was devoid of most of the original finish.

To our knowledge all the bayonets for the STEN Mark 2 are WWII production.

The bayonet was phased out of production before the war was over.

Richard

What is the difference between the E and the Z? Why is one more expensive?

I cannot say that one marking is "better" than another.

Time will proove out these details as more information is discovered.

For now what I have to go on is the numbers that I have received of each variant.

The fewer that were available the more they cost.

I have already sold out of some of the markings.

Richard

I've been meaning to post photos of the Sten Mk II bayonet that I received from Apex Gun Parts a few months ago, but my time has not been my own of late.

Here are some photos of the bayonet. I've read what some have said about these bayonets possibly being reproductions, and I have to say that I see no reason to doubt they are original. I think these survived somehow, and are original.

The bayonet I received has the "Z" or "N" marking on it, depending upon which angle it is read. I don't know the significance of this particular marking. It has a maker's mark of "B. & J.S. Ltd." I have seen this marking before, on one of my Sten magazine loading tools. Some basic internet research revealed that B. & J.Sippel Ltd. was a silversmith in Sheffield who also manufactured British bayonets during WWII. Here's what I found from a website about sterling sliver cutlery:

"Information about the B. & J. Sippel Ltd. is sketchy, but we've learned that Sipple was a cutlery factory in Sheffield, England, that closed in the 1970's. Two brothers from Germany began the company, and one of the founding brothers, Benno Sippel, died in 1946. In 1934, the began marking their silver and silverplate flatware with the name SIPELIA. Sippel also manufactured British bayonets."

Here's a photo of the bayonet installed on my Sten Mk II:

Sten_with_Bayonet_Web.JPG

Here's a photo of the bayonet itself:

Sten_Bayonet.JPG

The B. & J.S. Ltd. marking:

Sippel_Bayonet_Marking.JPG

Laidler's Sten book mentions 3 manufacturers of this bayonet, but does not mention B. & J.S. Ltd. This is probably due to missing archival information, and few available physical examples.

Here's an example of a B. & J.S. Ltd. silver spoon marking:

B+JSLtd_Silver_Spoon.jpg

You can also see the B. & J.S. Ltd. marking on the Sten magazine loader to the far right in the following photo:

Loader_Comparison_Marked.JPG

I'm curious if all examples acquired by Apex were marked with the B. & J.S. Ltd. marking.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

This site mentions B. & J.S. Ltd. as manufacturers of this type of Sten bayonet.

http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/submachine_gun_bayonets/submachine_gun_bayonets.html

This one also mentions B. & J.S. Ltd. as a British bayonet manufacturer.

http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/brit_bayo.html

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com