Thompson Food

On the advice of forum members I have been looking for Winchester ammo.

Just picked up 800 rounds and they had plenty more, so nice to see ammo on the shelf again!

I saw that but didn't have time to wait for it to ship might get to visit and shoot my gun this weekend!

Natchez has PMC Bronze for $17 a box + shipping... not my favorite but good price!!

Natchez has PMC Bronze for $17 a box + shipping... not my favorite but good price!!

thanks

I can get Winchester white box or Federal premium all brass for $37 and change for 100 off the shelf FINALLY. No delivery so its usually about the same price. I have had no problems with either. The Remington 100 round packages I have had issues with. They seem to not have enough powder and the gun cycles noticeably slower.

Around here (Oregon) a local store chain called Bi-Mart has 200 round boxes of Winchester White for $80. Not Bad considering most stores have 50 round boxes for $24 - $27.

Remington UMC is usually more expensive and makes my guns dirty as hell...

Edited by 06AngusSG

Around here (Oregon) a local store chain called Bi-Mart has 200 round boxes of Winchester White for $80. Not Bad considering most stores have 50 round boxes for $24 - $27.

Remington UMC is usually more expensive and makes my guns dirty as hell...

I also thought the Remington UMC was awful dirty when we shot the M1A1 recently. I really like the Winchester ammo, and to prove I'm a newbie - I was amazed by how big the dimple in the primer is with a Thompson.

Check out Natchez again - I just saw they now have S&B (My preferred ammo) for 18.79 a box (+ fees).

Best price I have seen on S&B for several years!

Check out Natchez again - I just saw they now have S&B (My preferred ammo) for 18.79 a box (+ fees).

Thanks for the heads up!

cubguy,

Its obvious that you don't reload. If you did you wouldn't have ask the question.

The boys who do a lot of Thompson shooting usually reload and shoot their reloads.

They are very careful and trust their ammo more than factory ammo.

The guys that shoot guns without comps frequently load lead bullets.

The guy shooing comp guns load plated bullets.

Either bullet is much easier on the rifling than FMJ factory ammo. You could probably shoot a million cartridges and not wear the rifling to any extent.

Its also less expensive than factory ammo.

Something to keep in mind for the future.

Jim C

Thanks for the heads up!

Palmetto has S&B for 14.99 a box now.

WOW ! At that price, I think I will get more. It is good for when you do not get to hang onto the brass!

cubguy,

Its obvious that you don't reload. If you did you wouldn't have ask the question.

The boys who do a lot of Thompson shooting usually reload and shoot their reloads.

They are very careful and trust their ammo more than factory ammo.

The guys that shoot guns without comps frequently load lead bullets.

The guy shooing comp guns load plated bullets.

Either bullet is much easier on the rifling than FMJ factory ammo. You could probably shoot a million cartridges and not wear the rifling to any extent.

Its also less expensive than factory ammo.

Something to keep in mind for the future.

Jim C

You make a good point Jim, I have reloading equipment but haven't reloaded for years.

I probably won't shoot this high condition Colt that much maybe 1000 rounds a year who knows!

I've never owned one before!

Thanks for the heads up!

Palmetto has S&B for 14.99 a box now.

might have to try some of that!

Maybe this is blasphemy... But the M1 Thompson that is in the process of being transferred to me has shot many hundreds of rounds of steel case Wolf or TulAmmo without a hiccup.... That's what my uncle has usually shot through it for the last few years. I'm not sure if I'm going to do the same thing when it becomes mine, but so far, the only problem he has ever had was with CCI Blazer aluminum cased 45... He had 4 bullets get stuck in his barrel after a squib... That was the last of the aluminum case that's been shot through it. (No damage to the gun or people, thank God!)

I have lots of brass cased ammo stocked up for when this one arrives to me.. But I don't think I'd be afraid to shoot steel through it again.

Thoughts?

Shot lots of Wolf/Russian ammo thru the AK, tons of light strikes on the primer. Ran great on semi.

Ran bulk 45 ACP from the cops, in his WH - no problem at all. Didn't even look or ask what it was. Mag catch change and China L drum, ran killer.

My Pal's son, said the Tommy was really dirty when they cleaned it.

OCM

Guys remember we are only stewards of these guns. If you have a original Colt, Auto Ordnance or Savage shooting corrosive steel case or cheap ammo is not being a responsible steward of your Thompson. Its like putting regular ethanol gas in a fine classic car. You may get buy with it for a while but one day it will bit you.

If you can afford to own a Thompson shoot the best ammo you can or buy a good machine and reload your own.

That's my 2cents be a good steward.

Frank