Thompson found in wall in Chicago

Historic Tommy gun found in wall
April 14, 2005 at 2:07 PM
http://www.upi.com/img/clear.gif

JOLIET, Ill., April 14 (UPI) -- An Illinois man found a mint-condition 77-year-old Tommy gun in a wall of his house, but authorities took it and now he wants it back.

Andrew Mayes, a Lockport Township real estate businessman, was renovating a house he had just bought when he found the immaculate Thompson submachine gun stowed in a canvas bag, with about 400 rounds of ammunition.

Mayes called the sheriff's office and Deputy Dan Jungles picked up the famed "Chicago typewriter," as the notorious weapon of the infamous '20s gang wars was known, and took it in, the Joliet Herald News said.

Sheriff Paul Kaupas said the particular model "shoots real sweet" and wants to keep it. Mays wants it back and has contacted a lawyer about recovering it, though it's against the law in Ilinois to possess fully automatic weapons.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2005/04/14/Historic-Tommy-gun-found-in-wall/55051113502020/

I remember this story and I think there was a post about it here As I recall it was an M1, could be wrong about that. If your post above had a pic it didn't load, at least on my device here.

Thanks for posting.

GI Jive, do you recall the outcome of this one?

This was a GI 1928A1 was found in the wall of a house in Lockport, IL. I thought it could of been maybe a COLT 1928 overstamp, but from I remember and read more lately it was a mint 1928A1 Savage Thompson. It was found with about 8 boxes of .45 ammo, in the original 1940s boxes of different manufactures and some magazines as I recall. No drum with it. The Will County, IL Sheriff's Police is in possession of it.

Edited by Kocapuff1

The last complete Colt TSMG parts kit I saw went for 8K, a nice windfall:-)

Darryl

Hey Ron,

Yes, I remember that one. Keith is correct, the gun was a Savage 1928A1 in the 300,000 serial number range. The Will County Sheriff kept the gun after confiscating it. The exact serial number was posted ten years ago on the Board, maybe someone can find the old post?

I guess we're running out of things to talk about, we're re-hashing ten year old stuff:-)

Here's a new " Thompson wall gun " story. When they were building the new highway/Interstate in St Paul, I think this was in the early 60s.they had to raze some homes in it's path. One of the old houses, was one that the Barker's had stayed in ( Ma Barker). They found a L drum " in the wall" or something and one of the workers took it home- poof, gone.

I got this story from a guy that was working road construction at the time. A Ripley's Believe it or Not type story I guess. But ?

One of those things that's probably sitting in Grandpa's drawer. Fun little story anyway.

OCM

Here are the pictures. It is not a "mint" 1928A1 Savage Thompson, but definitely by the look at the clean-up of the receiver and metal parts it appears to be a GI War Trophy bring home (if it could only talk). It has a beautiful condition M3 Thompson sling on it.

GI Jive has confirmed this one is not in the BATF registry, so no form on it.

I hope you all enjoy the pictures.

Lockport Thompson.png

_TAB3543.JPG

_TAB3544.JPG

_TAB3545.JPG

_TAB3546.JPG

_TAB3547.JPG

_TAB3548.JPG

_TAB3549.JPG

_TAB3550.JPG

_TAB3551.JPG

_TAB3552.JPG

_TAB3553.JPG

It's a nice one. Too bad that it'll languish in a police vault. Thanks for posting the pics.