The Old Man and the Sea (and his Tommy Gun)

Forgive me if this link from guns.com was already posted in the past, but it is a great article about Ernest Hemingway & his Thompson on his boat, the Pilar, circa 1935

with some great photos.......

http://www.guns.com/2013/07/06/the-old-man-and-the-sea-and-his-tommy-gun/

hemingway_and_his_m1921_tommy_gun_going_after_some_grey_suits.jpg

Ernest_Hemingway_Aboard_the_Pilar_1935.jpg

hemingway_fishing_with_thompson_2.jpg

hemingway_and_son_Jack_waiting_for_a_bite_on_the_pilar_with_his_tommy_gun_in_hand_note_the_massive_size_of_the_reel.jpg

the_pilar.jpg

Edited by azboater

Years ago, I use to go to Bimini a couple times a year. I would hang out in the Complete Angler. This was where Hemingway lived while there. On the wall were original photos of Papa firing his Tommy off the docks in Bimini at the sharks as they would swim by. Hanging out around town with his Tommy and on the boat. Few years ago, the Angler burned to the ground. Destroyed all the originals and lots of original letters Papa wrote. I spent many hours, and Beck's beers, in that room reading and just thinking of what it would have been like to have been there.

The Thompson wasn't the gun of choice for his suicide, the double barrel shotgun did the trick, very messy but effective.

Mike Hammer

Well story has it he won it in a game of chance from W.B. Leeds. The Leeds family was associated with U.S. Steel so when they (USS) gave up their Thompson's' one of them may have been spirited away from the company by Mr. Leeds and that may be the one......

• 3 weeks later...

"Papa" was a real character for sure. During WWII, he'd take the Pilar out from Cuba and look for German subs. He apparently took a hard knock to the head while covering the Spanish Civil War in the 30's and it did something permanent. Got worse as he got older. Bought a foreign sports car and would not let his mechanic change the oil in it, because he said that it "wouldn't be a genuine foreign car if he did that." i.e. put American oil in it. I guess all of these sorts of things led up to his eventual suicide.

BTW - If you can't get to his house in Cuba, you can check out his "crib" in Key West if you get there. He had a urinal taken out of Sloppy Joe's to be used for his many 6-toed cats watering hole on the property.( Sloppy Joe's, where it is now, is not the original location. The "real" Sloppy Joe's is where Captain Tony's is now, and it's a much better bar if you make it down there.)

Gunhistorian,

Don't you have to admit that "Captain Tony's" where the original "Sloppy Joe's" was located, is a much better bar than where the supposed "Sloppy Joe's" is now?

Now you know a bit of the "true" history.

BTW - If you ever go to EYW (Key West), take the trip to Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas. Great trip. And while on the way there, by boat or seaplane only, the least visited US Park in the US, you will pass the Marquesas Islands, where Mel Fishcher found all the gold and silver, etc., from the "Nuestra Senora de Atocha". If you ever go to his museum down there, which I would recommend, they had a gold bar that was enclosed in a plastic/lucite case where you could reach in and hold it in your hand, but couldn't get it out. Homo Sapiens, being the rather intelligent species that we are, one of them figured a way to get it out, and absconded with about 4 pounds of gold.

BTW - The "Nuestra Senora de Atocha" went down in a hurricane in 1622. I asked some of the curators whether they were through with all the lawsuits about who owned the treasure in 2002, and was told, they fought off the United States first. Then they had to fight off the State of Florida. (Keep in mind that none of these existed when the ship went down.) And now they were fighting off lawsuits by Spain, and the descendants of the people who were on the "Nuestra Senora de Atocha" and hoped they would win the lawsuit. Does that tell you what governments will do do "get you" when there are $ in the balance?