Vietnam era Thompson pouch ?

It's quite often that corrupt information gets proliferated over years and becomes gospel. This example is off topic but I am using it to demonstrate a point.

The attached medal can be found all over as a "widows medal" or Death Medal from the GAR (Grand Army of the Republic post war veteran group) to honor the loss of a veteran. This is due to an identification in Turner Kirkland's popular publication and another early publication which was an early attempt to identify veteran medals and badges. Neither had a reference as to their ID source.

Fast forward many many years and I start collecting CW. I buy a few of these Widow's medals. Then I come upon a medal with photo. The identification is problematic unless you fast forward the 1903 photo to today's standards for unions! Note Kirkland's ID never said widow just family member.

Further research and a discussion with a man out to prove the identity of the medal and the real ID is confirmed as the Malta Jewel from the Knights Templar. Search all over and you will see it listed incorrectly. The Internet is a powerful tool just be sure of the source.

A few early mistakes in my collecting career led me to invest in good quality books and understand what I am buying. Most of the time now I know more about the item than the seller and I give them information about an item.

I hope this is helpful and will lead people to keep good quality research alive. I would like to see members of the board eventually put together the whole story on these pouches and their variations.

Great discussion.

Ron

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

This is interesting...so are you saying that the Malta Medal, being more common, is sold as

the GAR Medal which is rare?

Bob

No, this medal had no affiliation to the Civil War, other than many vets also belonged to Masons. Knights Templars, and other fraternal organizations so one could have belonged to a vet, but it had nothing to do with a death of the veteran as publicized in at least two books and then carried on by sellers still to this day.

Back before the internet more people relied on books for information and other sources were not readily available. Now everyone relies on the internet where anyone can post and few rely on modern books. In both cases, the proof of the information source is paramount.

It could be that someone correctly id'ed these pouches, but I have yet to see any definitive proof of that occurring in all that I have read so far.

Ron

How about another country we gave US guns to that may have produced them? Greece, etc. Its certainly makes sense it could have been made for Vietnam, but it could have been any other allied country we gave guns to.