Changing M16 Upper Configuration

Animal

New to full auto ownership and new to the Board. I just purchased a transferable M16. I want to use a modern upper so I don't wear out the original barrel. I was told that I can change caliber and barrel length without issue. Just wanted to confirm that is correct?

Thanks in advance,

David

When you had the M16 transfered to you , it had a caliber, barrel length and overall length stated on the form . One of the advantages of the M16 system is that you can change out your upper recievers and buttstock / tube to as many variations as you wish and as long as you can change it back to the form's specs , the changes are considered temporary and are allowed .

My first FA after my M1 Thompson was an M16 just for this reason .

Chris

I've heard you have to be careful though. For instance, putting a sbr upper in place of a full size m16 upper can increase wear and tear on your sear unless you also adjust the buffer springs to withstand the higher rate of fire with a much shorter barrel. I had planned a similar move with a nice DD tactical upper I have, but have held out for something more in line with the full size upper on my m16.

I've heard you have to be careful though. For instance, putting a sbr upper in place of a full size m16 upper can increase wear and tear on your sear unless you also adjust the buffer springs to withstand the higher rate of fire with a much shorter barrel. I had planned a similar move with a nice DD tactical upper I have, but have held out for something more in line with the full size upper on my m16.

No it doesn't.

When you had the M16 transfered to you , it had a caliber, barrel length and overall length stated on the form . One of the advantages of the M16 system is that you can change out your upper recievers and buttstock / tube to as many variations as you wish and as long as you can change it back to the form's specs , the changes are considered temporary and are allowed .

My first FA after my M1 Thompson was an M16 just for this reason .

Chris

The caliber and lengths on the form is what concerned me. I plan on keeping the original equipment so I will be able to change back if needed/wanted.

Take it however you want. I'm not saying I know, just putting forth .02 cents from a vietnam vet and gunsmith who I'm friends with, otherwise I'd be switching out all day long as well.

There are volumes written on the reliablity issues of shorty barrels. But not "excessive wear on sear" or "adjusting the recoil spring" ? How do you adjust the recoil spring?

Really, there is nothing to worry about with the M16. I routinely shoot 556 through M4(14.5"), Commando(11"), CQB6945(10.3") and 9MM in 635 configuration. I never shoot it in 20". The first thing I did when I got the gun was get rid of the full stock,rifle tube, buffer and spring. The carbine tube, buffer and spring supports all the shooting I do. The 9 does use a heavier buffer than the 556. This is all well documented stuff. I'm currently waiting on a part from CMMG to run the gun in 22 LR. If you can only have 1 MG, the M16 is really a great choice. Enjoy it.

Bob D

Really, there is nothing to worry about with the M16. I routinely shoot 556 through M4(14.5"), Commando(11"), CQB6945(10.3") and 9MM in 635 configuration. I never shoot it in 20". The first thing I did when I got the gun was get rid of the full stock,rifle tube, buffer and spring. The carbine tube, buffer and spring supports all the shooting I do. The 9 does use a heavier buffer than the 556. This is all well documented stuff. I'm currently waiting on a part from CMMG to run the gun in 22 LR. If you can only have 1 MG, the M16 is really a great choice. Enjoy it.

Bob D

Pretty much the same as I what I will be doing. I will run 5.56 and 22. I have a 22 dedicated Spikes upper as well as the CMMG 22 conversion also, along with the parts to run full auto. Given the cost these days, I doubt I will get a another full auto. M16 was really my only choice given its versatility and the ability to run my current uppers. I was looking at the HK53, but I would alway still yearn for a M16, so why bother with the HK. The Uzi does look fun too though.

Bob D

Don't overlook the .300 AAC Blackout. It is a great round for an M16 owner.

Curl

Back to the paper topic - you can switch anything anytime, no problems. If you transfer it and it has different dimensions than when you got it, you are supposed to accurately describe it. Add a statement to your application that says "I installed a different barrel blah blah blah" and that SHOULD work.... used to work.... no warranty on results in the current state of the operation though.

Bob D

Don't overlook the .300 AAC Blackout. It is a great round for an M16 owner.

Curl

Yes, I have 300blk, but too expensive to run through a machine gun!

Back to the paper topic - you can switch anything anytime, no problems. If you transfer it and it has different dimensions than when you got it, you are supposed to accurately describe it. Add a statement to your application that says "I installed a different barrel blah blah blah" and that SHOULD work.... used to work.... no warranty on results in the current state of the operation though.

Thanks for the info

• 3 weeks later...

Short uppers work kind of counter to what you think of. You think of a longer barreled handgun as more controllable and better shooting because the weight up front helps a lot. But... rifles that you pop in a short barrels a strange thing happen. Let's take my M16 with 10" upper. It isn't optimal for velocity and spits out quite a flame with lots of flash and bang. If you get over that. It actually is less kick than a full length barrel. It's because the powder doesn't get fully burnt hence the lower bullet velocity, and the less recoil to the gun and the shooter.

So... No shorter barrels only wear out your ears faster.... Nothing else.

If you put a suppressor on you really need to watch it as you take a gun with less than normal kick, get it dialed in and then pop in a restrictive can which puts it back to 20" bolt recoil speed etc which is why gemtech makes a special suppressor bolt and or adjustable gas block.

I was just passing on what a Vietnam vet, gunsmith, and friend of mine pointed out when I tried to change uppers on my a2. He said make sure to swap out the buffer springs to accommodate the shorter barrel and faster rate of fire, or risk wear and tear on your sear. Take it for what it's worth. If you swap out buffer springs or buttstocks you won't have an issue period, but better to be conservative with a 25k+ weapon.

I went with the MK18 NAV spec upper and changed the buffer and spring. Love it. 1/7 twist rate and shoot LC green tip M855

That's a Colt upper with KA quad rail and comp.

FullSizeRender (6).jpg

Edited by Normal1959

I just started shooting 22LR in my 16. I'm using CMMG stuff and it has been flawless. I can't believe how much fun it is to shoot. I stayed away from 22LR because of the many complaints I'd heard over the years. Live and learn...

Bob D

PS Anybody know where I can get some cheap 22LR?? (HaHa)