http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/03/daniel-zimmerman/atf-reveals-the-number-of-registered-machine-guns/ Can anyone confirm these numbers? From the another site: Robert, I see many writers on your site making statements about how many machine guns exist on the NFRTR. To be sure, lots of folks have speculated on the number since NFATCA obtained the transferable number ~10 years ago from then NFA Branch Chief, Ken Houchens, at Knob Creek. Back then, the transferable count was a little over 182,000. For several years NFATCA has been battling DOJ/ATF for release of current numbers. After a rejection and several well-fought appeals we have the numbers. The total number on the books as of February 24, 2016 is just under a half million: Pre 86 (transferables): 175,977 Sales Samples (pre May keepers): 17,020 Restricted 922(o) (posties): 297,667 There is a caveat in that there is a built in margin of error resulting from manual entries to disparate systems. A copy of the FOIA response is here:http://www.nfatca.org/pubs/MG_Count_FOIA_2016.pdf Jeff Folloder Executive Director

Edited by giantpanda4

it sure would be interesting to see a break down by model to know the rarity of certain guns.....i see speculation on every gun how many are out there.....my guess is M16/AR15's make up the largest segment.

From what I've read: M16 variants are estimated to be around 50K; the MAC family about 40K; Thompsons approximately 11,700; Uzis 9K'ish; HKs 10K'ish; Reisings 10K or so also.

YMMV, etc.

I believe Fleming & Qualified HK Sears number approx 6,000 total.....

i dont doubt 50,000 M16's....they are everywhere

the Mac's is what im surprised with...it seems like there is 5-10+ M16's for sale for every Mac...i see many more Uzi's for sale than Mac's....id believe 20,000 Uzi's and 20,000 Macs

maybe some day they will be able to tell you exact numbers....it would sure be interesting

I am learning there are a lot of Macs out there. I just found out one of the local cities by me had a Officer who was dealer and back in the day just about every officer in the city bought one from him. I saw recently on GB there was auction going for transferable receivers 5 at a time.

Im not surprised on the MACs

I knew a dealer that had at least two hundred new in the box transferrable SWD 9MM guns about 15 years ago or so. I believe I paid $5-600 at the time if I recall. Good little gun for entry level class 3, had lots of fun with it.

But I do wonder why they don't come up for sale as often? I seem to remember when they were not very expensive, there were far more out there.

the Lage upper has changed the gun.....with their Max 31 you can turn it into a 71 round Soumi drum machine....it more than doubles the size of the gun and doesnt resemble a mac anymore....it is where my interest is in the mac 11...im guessing it is where others have found their interest......everyone is looking for one right now

the Lage upper has changed the gun.....with their Max 31 you can turn it into a 71 round Soumi drum machine....it more than doubles the size of the gun and doesnt resemble a mac anymore....it is where my interest is in the mac 11...im guessing it is where others have found their interest......everyone is looking for one right now

It's my favorite SMG with the Max-31 upper to go shoot during competition days at Malabar gun range. I've stuck a Gemtech suppressor on the end and the gun is now very long, also very quiet, reliable, and doesn't climb. With the Suomi drum in place it's a really fun gun to shoot.

What about m2 carbines and stens, seems to be a lot of those around. I'm having a hard time believing m16 and MACs alone make up 50% of all transferables. I have no doubt they are the most numerous, but hundreds or thousands of other types, I have doubts that just two types make up such a large percentage.

But I do wonder why they don't come up for sale as often? I seem to remember when they were not very expensive, there were far more out there.

They have been bought up, as simple as that. People need to remember, the late 90s was two decades ago. That is when the big change in the machinegun collecting market changed with the explosion of the internet. Imagine how many thousands of people have bought M11/9s, that up until a few years ago were the cheapest common machinegun available, in the past twenty years. The people that only had a few dozen would have sold out in two decades even if they only sold one a year. The people who had a few hundred may still have some but alot have sold out too.