Knob creek this weekend?

wwiifirearms

I've never been to Knob Creek, and thinking of driving down this weekend. Always wanted to see it, and thought there might be a slim chance of finding parts for my REWAT projects (Longshot Chauchat, MP18).

Any suggestions for someone going just for Saturday? Is it worth going on a Saturday?

If you can only go 1 day then go Saturday and plan on staying for the night shoot Saturday night. If you are looking for parts then the statement that best describes the Creek is "If you can't find the part at the creek it is because they never made it!" Well maybe not that good but almost.

Thanks! Thinking of arriving about noon and spending the day and night, then finding a hotel on the way back North.

Your best day for parts is typically on Friday. Another word to the wise-if you see something you want or need and its at a good price....buy it as it might not be there when you return.....Don't ask how I know lol

OP-did you buy the DEWAT MP18 from RIA last month??

Yes, if you can swing Friday, its less crowded. But if you have never seen the night shoot, that is a must for a first timer. It will take maybe 3-4 hours of asking for and digging through piles of parts. Some people don't know exactly what they have. You will get names from people to contact as well for parts. Good luck.

Your best day for parts is typically on Friday. Another word to the wise-if you see something you want or need and its at a good price....buy it as it might not be there when you return.....Don't ask how I know lol

OP-did you buy the DEWAT MP18 from RIA last month??

I bought my DEWAT mp18 from a private seller last year. I'm curious, do you know what the one in the auction sold for?

That one went for way too much IMHO....$11,000 plus the buyers premium

I feel a lot better have paid $8,000 (plus I waived a $1500 debt) for both the MP18 and Chauchat together. I figured at the time the Chauchat was worth about $4k and the MP18 about $8k. But having such a hard time finding parts to REWAT, I think I over estimated the Chauchat value.

Probably. The MP18's are usually fixable without a ton of work. The Chauchat is a rather extensive fix requiring a machine tools to do, even if you managed to find some parts (of which I saw none for sale at the creek) it's not that easy. Should you decide to send it out be prepped for a good sized bill, a long wait, and don't expect much when you get it back since a lot of these are done somewhat poorly. Bear in mind the majority of 02/07's don't own machine tools, so ask before you send it. Then you need to find some new ammo to shoot. I had one on the line shooting it at the creek and it ran well, however hardly anyone knew what it was and others were surprised to see me shooting it and how flawless it ran (better than the UZI I let the new guys shoot which had some minor light/weak ammo issues as it turns out).. Shooting technique is also very important and you can't just grab it and run it which is why Chauchat gunner school was 2 months of training. While I enjoy the gun, it's not for everybody and frustrates most. I'm looking for another one for a project should you decide to sell yours?

Several people at Knob Creek gave me the same name to contact about the Chauchat, and he happens to be about 10 miles from my house. I traded emails with him and it seems like he knows his stuff. He is currently working on two Chauchats, making new barrels. I'm going to follow up after he is further on those two. I expect it won't be cheap, just hope it is in my budget. I also got word that PK will likely be ready for my m1a1 later this year. Gunsmith budget may get hit hard this year. I did pick up two snail drums for the mp-18. One off GB for $999, which seems to have been a very good deal. I think the sellers very brief description and limited pictures made people assume it was a reproduction. I contacted the seller before bidding to answer my questions and ended up with a really nice original magazine. The other I got from a friend in trade. Cost me a couple nice rifles, but a fair deal for both.

I was there for three and a half days and this is all I found that I was interested in. :)

The Maxim jacket plug was the only item I was actually looking for at the show, found it the first hour I was there.

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/roscoeturner/Knob%20Creek%20April%202016_edited-1_zpsv1f5z5kv.jpg

Decent haul this time.

Lewis radiator jacket and barrel mount.

Lewis drum loaders

Thompson M1A1 parts kit

New in the wrap Thompson mags

Only .30 Lewis drums were $750 for 47rd and $1800 for 97rd. Too rich for my wallet.

It was freekin' chilly. Found a lot of treasures (for me at least). New M60E3 furniture, M9 mags, an M122 tripod, Beretta M92 barrel, stripped Colt 9mm upper, M60 trigger group parts, Russian laminated AKM stock, etc. All new and cheap. Love Knob Creek deals. Edited by Waffen Und Bier

I must say it was one of the best Creeks in many years. I never got out of the barn and I found a nice group of needed parts....ANM2 30 Cal dual gun mount complete for 2500. A Colt Marlin digger barrel in 06 for 700. It has an unfired bore too. PTRS ATG parts to complete my 50 Cal conversion. 97 rd Lewis drum 303. MG 81Z site cheap 300, 2-08 maxim locks at a price I winced at...Swaped a nice 08-15 jacket for some 08 sled tools and barrel. Didn't sell the M18 57mm Recoilless parts set or the pre Bren Gun. Sold 4 M10 45 PS MACs NIB, a Lewis gun and a MP5 Sear gun. Glad I left at noon Saturday. Way too windy and cold.

PTRS