Forward grip valuation/sale

I will ask the board members to comment and provide a good sale price for this grip. I have posted pictures of all sides and I believe the photos provide a good representation of it's color. It has plenty of scrapes, dings dents and gouges, but no cracks that I can see. This grip along with a few other small metal pieces will be the last of a collection of Thompson items to be sold off. I appreciate all who purchased some of my other items I had listed. If you want to make an offer, that is fine. If nobody on the board wants it, I will list it on ePay at the end of the weekend. Thank you

post-260238-0-20588300-1462047719_thumb.jpg

post-260238-0-29655700-1462047761_thumb.jpg

post-260238-0-92274500-1462047763_thumb.jpg

post-260238-0-69574700-1462047766_thumb.jpg

post-260238-0-96026500-1462047769_thumb.jpg

post-260238-0-11503900-1462047772_thumb.jpg

post-260238-0-87062200-1462047774_thumb.jpg

post-260238-0-25082500-1462047777_thumb.jpg

post-260238-0-77927700-1462047777_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mywifesgunakillme

thought it could be an early S unmarked one...the pic of the back doesnt look right for one, but the side profile does...

from my comparison drawings and pics i dont think its a colt

i dont have comparison pics for bridgeport or hurley

Edited by huggytree

Does a standard rear grip screw fit into this grip with threads showing /would work? The reason I ask is the countersink looks awfully deep. The originals had of course a different size/longer bolt for the front grip but some of the repros are deeply countersunk and use the more common pistol grip screw. Just a thought to try and narrow down pedigree.

Not sure if it is the angle of some of the photos but it does look a little out of proportion.

TC

Not sure if it is the angle of some of the photos but it does look a little out of proportion.

TC

TC,

That is because it is a reproduction. It is not an original, despite the dings and aging.

The screw that I have goes all the way through the grip with threads showing on the other end. I don't know if it is the original screw that came with this particular grip or not, but was the only one of it's kind in the lot so I assume it was for this. I appreciate the input and will price this on eBay as a reproduction and let it go.

The below picture shows the difference in length between the grip screw (top) and vertical grip screw (bottom). The vertical grip screw is longer. Many, if not all of the West Hurley vertical fore grips use the readily available GI shorter grip screw - for obvious reasons. The shorter grip screw does work but usually will not protrude through the grip mount. Sometimes the shorter grip screw will only tighten into the grip mount a few threads. One fix is to deepen the screw recess on the vertical fore grip. I assume this is done with many reproduction grips.

grip and fore grip screws crop.jpg

From what I can tell the vertical fore grip screw is 4.75" long when just measuring the shaft and threads. The grip screw is 4.5" long, again, when just measuring the shaft and threads. I did not measure the head of the screw because different manufacturers of these screws (Colt's and WWII production) may have slightly different size screw heads. I am sure reconbob knows all the measurements

I measured the entire length including the head of the screw, and it turned out to be 4 7/8". It sounds like it's not the correct screw for a vertical grip. Mine also has a more rounded head like the top one in your pictures. The bottom one looks flat, or at least less rounded on top. I assume this one is a reproduction all the way around. I posted it on eBay for $65 and a Buy Now for $350 just in case someone determines it is in fact a real grip and is willing to buy it for the estimated value of $300-$400. That way I can sleep at night knowing I didn't get taken for lack of knowledge.