Tannerite

huggytree

anyone use this stuff?

my employee had a 25 person 5,000 round shootout style Bachelor party this weekend which included 15lbs of Tannerite

i had never heard of the stuff.....he said the shock wave was crazy...he was 100 yards away from the blast...it blew up the tree stump and left a crater in the ground.....it also got the police dept. to his property....no legal issues w/ this stuff.

takes a .223 to set it off...needs to be a high velocity bullet

this video isnt his party....its just a fun one i found in case anyone else is ignorant of the existence of this stuff too

Edited by huggytree

Shot some last week for the first time. Nothing like this video just some 1 pound jugs and a 6 pounder. Pretty cool stuff but I would venture that what people are doing with it will someday get some attention. I believe the idea is that the 1/4 pound containers are what was intended to be used.

Ron

i heard the 1lb is = to a 1/2 stick of dynamite for comparison? is this true?

i figure ill buy some to try it and let the family shoot at it for a surprise.....

i also agree it will soon get some attention as i was shocked it was legal when i saw his video with 15lbs and a disappearing tree stump

Commented on this before - this stuff is a legal EXPLOSIVE. People get maimed and killed by it regularly because they forget the first big rule in EOD/ Breaching. "If you can see the bomb, the bomb can see you." Small charges are fairly safe, but large ones accelerate fragments of whatever is being blown up and can strike you or those around you. we have had several near miss events at MG shoots where wood, metal and concrete chunks have flown into the firing line and spectators. My wife got missed (barely) by a chunk of plywood flying off a target that was placed WAY to close to the firing line and tannerite placed on the back while shooting at OFASTS. I saw it coming and moved her. There are a lot of videos of Stupid near misses on youtube.

who told you it was not incendiary ? go watch the video from OFASTS of tannerite getting blown up - fire ball all the time particularity when there are other combustibles in close proximity- the stuff is a binary explosive. Their "kill the car" is a perfect example - ( google OFASTS shoot) Here are some explosion shots from training - I am the guy holding the bomb blanket for the breacher team.first pic is a fracture charge with C2 (sheet explosive) and det cord, second is just det cord.

http://photos.imageevent.com/blinde/workpictures/websize/Red%20Team%20Fracture%20Charge%20Mod.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/blinde/workpictures/websize/Red%20Team%20Classroom%20Shot%20Results.jpg

It would be non-incendiary.......until you put the aluminum powder in!!!! Or you could go old school and use mostly fuel oil like at the rock quarry, but then you'd need more than a high speed bullet. Ahhh the physics of high explosives, people always hide them "behind" something effectively making a shaped charge......pointing the object directly toward them and surprised when they bleed faster than they can duck. I recall back in the day when Dan Tanner himself used to sell direct at the creek before he went big time. These days I can't imagine the staff of attorneys he has?

There are plenty of laws/rules regarding the use/handling and storage of HE in most states, but few people in LE are aware of them and many are federal. I did know a guy that mixed at home, then went to the range and somehow got caught.....after the fact?

Dynamite is really a product name that stuck to a lot of explosives, like Xerox to any photocopy, but yeah for generic purposes it's all high explosives even though they are not remotely related other than they both contain nitrogen.

Like everything fun, start small, work your way up, pause along the way to think and observe what's happening. Almost no one buys an M2HB as their first MG.

I can't recall where I had heard that Tannerite it was non-incendiary but I've always had that impression. I stand corrected. Thanks.

no problems - we were just at a small MG shoot Saturday, and while the tannerite did not start fires, it was certainly explosive ! We all learn from others experience - that is "wisdom". repeating errors is the problem we try to avoid. forthe first 10 years of my MG career it was hard to find info - books, magazines and so called "experts" were the only choices. I still learn new stuff every day from guys on these boards. There is simply no way I could accumulate 1/10 of the thompson knowledge that guys here have ..... you need to filter the chaff though.