You know how I'm always praising the M1A1 ?

Looks like I'm not alone in my adoration.

Kowabunga.

Buyer bid $37,500.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/721349141

I've noticed the price of M1s and M1A1s climbing but this is a new record.

Gunbroker sometimes has some crazy bidding but it's generally soft once you go past $30k. The big money $30k and up guys seem to prefer auctions like Julias.

some sucker bought the story....sad thing is it still didnt sell!!!!!!

thats the guy with the long story about saving it off the back of a boat in italy and stripping some black paint off of it to reveal a brand new gun

Edited by huggytree

some sucker bought the story....sad thing is it still didnt sell!!!!!!

thats the guy with the long story about saving it off the back of a boat in italy and stripping some black paint off of it to reveal a brand new gun

Actually, this particular $37k bidding pre-dates the full throttle BS story.

The uber BS was added later.

This awesome story needs to be immortalized. FYI, it's been kept in a walk-in vault. Not a regular dumb old gun safe, but a walk-in vault. WOWSERS!

"All Original, 1 30 Round Magazine, that is all if ever had, it hasn't been FIRED for over 30 years, and was NEW when I shot 2 mags through it. It is all matching, No SN on lower as is correct for a late WW III TSMG. 44-45 It's Auto Ordnance On the Form 4... A little history on it. Yes it has clear Inspection Marks. It was made by Savage. This Gun is Literally New. This firearm was new in the crate at the end of WW II, it's one of the last to come off the line. A young marine who was stationed in Italy when the War ended for him, was on a ship bound for America. many miles off the coast, before they docked in New York, they were given general orders to throw over the side all of their firearms that they were bringing back as war trophies. They also got rid of tons of firearms they didn't use. He was tasked with taking cases of new Thompsons and throwing them over the ship into the water, one at a time, when he got to the last one, he just couldn't do it. He broke it in half, stuffing it in his sea bag, and expecting to get search, but no one got searched and the marines and sailors simply walked off the ship. I was in a small town in Ohio, in search of a TSMG used by John Dillinger in a bank robbery that the local police had confiscated, and still had. I wondered into a hardware store and saw This TSMG hanging on the wall, above the cash register. The young marine, was now an older gentleman that owned the hardware store. After he got it home from the war, when he cleaned off the grease it was parkerized? He thought it was UNFINISHED, as the 1928 TSMG he carried in the war was blued. after cleaning the grease off, he covered it with black paint. He then hung it in the store of his grandfathers, then fathers, then his... Everyone joked about it being a replica, and he laughed also... Then he heard about the 68 Amnesty, and registered it. I wondered into the store many years later and over a few drinks he told me the real story after I told him why I was in town. I offered to purchase it, and I did. Upon receiving it, I took it to my fathers gunsmith shop, and upon stripping it down, I realized that it had all of the original grease inside? I assumed that it was all rusty, etc, as the gentleman had told me it was Unfinished, I assumed, all of the finish was worn off... Putting it in the dip tank with Safety Stripper all of the black paint just peeled off, and I was left with this treasure! I took the wood and careful hand rubbed in numerous coats of boiled linseed oil, careful disassembled it with nylon and leather covered tools, and then carefully reassembled it, as I had done hundreds of times before on other TSMG's. I took it to the range, and since I had never fired a actual M1A1 TSMG, I fired 2 magazines of match ball ammo through it, noting that the sights were dead on out to 100 yards. I then carefully cleaned it, and it has been in a vault, inside a walk in vault room ever since."

Well, my 1928A1 was hitlers personal gun, smuggled back to the US by Mr. Numrich himself and sold to a collector named Hugh Hefner, who kept it under his bed with all the "dust" bunnies. All the hottie girls got to "handle" it.

That 37k bid is all bs. I have had that gun on my watching list for months. The highest it ever got up to was $30k and the last listing made it to $25k. The seller did that 37k bid himself somehow to show the other bidders how valuable it is. The Italian hardware store story!! Yeah!! Edited by Petroleum 1

My thompson was smuggled to Argentina by Hitler himself(he always hated german guns and loved the thompson)......His kids came to the usa in 1968 and registered it

$75,000 reserve on my thompson.....

I know where one is signed by the Smurfs.

I actually used a time machine to take my AO/Kahr M1SB back to D Day and jumped in with 506th PIR - Dick Winters was my stick leader and I helped him clear German gun positions all that first day before coming back. I had my iPhone to take pictures but the battery ran out before I could get any. But, you can take my word for it. I'll sell it for just $15,000. Move quickly - it won't last long at this price!!

Edited by Devious6