Good Source For REASONABLE M1A1 Barrels - NOS USGI or Equivalent?

Just out of curiousity, you emphasize REASONABLE. What

Goes that mean? NOS barrels are up on Gunbroker all the time

In the $250-$350 zone. That seems reasonable to me for 75+

year old parts. What do you want to pay?

Bob

Excellent points, Bob.

Well, there's an old saying - "I can't buy & sell at the same time"

It would be foolish to post an estimated price - that by nature inflates asking prices

I prefer thing simple - you tell me what you want for an item, I will say yes or no - no wasted time on either part

I believe that the typical GB buyer is an impulse buyer - almost nothing listed is a true auction, seems that everything is "buy it now" - IMPULSE!

Thanks

It is clear from you initial post where you emphasize REASONABLE that

you don't think most prices are reasonable, therefore you want to pay far

less than the prices that are out there. Which is fine, but there are reasonable

prices out there. MINT M1 barrels in the wrap were $90 30 years ago. There

are fewer now than there was then. I don't think you can expect to pay under

$200 and that would be a steal. If you want the most reasonable barrel you can

get, get a Green Mountain barrel. They are top quality and (I think) about

$100. Of course if you are trying to keep an original gun original this does

not help you, but it's reasonable.

Bob

Green Mountain M1 Barrel. A lot of barrel for the money.

While the Kahr PM9 is currently my favorite of all the ultra compact 9mm carry guns,

I feel that doing anything on anything "tom-son" by Kahr is not worth using up an original anything. (And, yes, I once owned one).

Edited by mnshooter

While the Kahr PM9 is currently my favorite of all the ultra compact 9mm carry guns,

I feel that doing anything on anything "tom-son" by Kahr is not worth using up an original anything. (And, yes, I once owned one).

Thanks for the Green Mountain tip

I too carry a PM9 on a daily basis, have for years

My Thompson (circa 2000) has had thousands of rounds through it without a hiccup - in my book, it's earned the bucks to SBR it!

My Thompson (circa 2000) has had thousands of rounds through it without a hiccup - in my book, it's earned the bucks to SBR it!

Glad to hear you got a good one.

A couple more things:

Unless they have recently changed this, the Green Mountain Thompson barrels are made with a chamber very close to commercial 1911 barrels - they advertise a "full auto" chamber, but not a GI spec chamber.

The True Thompson Military chamber is considerably more roomy than the commercial 1911 chamber.

This may or not matter; I have used these tighter chambers (GM barrel in a 28 Thompson) for many thousands of rounds without a single failure to chamber a correctly dimensioned round; I also prefer the less bulged brass for reloading.

If you want GI spec chamber, Dan Block/Deerslayer and other Thompsonsmiths on this board can ream the chamber to military dimensions, as well as install the barrel and work on any other function bugs.

Edited by mnshooter

Glad to hear you got a good one.

A couple more things:

Unless they have recently changed this, the Green Mountain Thompson barrels are made with a chamber very close to commercial 1911 barrels - they advertise a "full auto" chamber, but not a GI spec chamber.

The True Thompson Military chamber is considerably more roomy than the commercial 1911 chamber.

This may or not matter; I have used these tighter chambers (GM barrel in a 28 Thompson) for many thousands of rounds without a single failure to chamber a correctly dimensioned round; I also prefer the less bulged brass for reloading.

If you want GI spec chamber, Dan Block/Deerslayer and other Thompsonsmiths on this board can ream the chamber to military dimensions, as well as install the barrel and work on any other function bugs.

Thanks!

Not sure about Merles .22 kits but my Ceiner won't fit in a barrel that's tighter than mil-spec.

Mnshooter and I got some green mountain barrels and as they come "in the white", I dropped them at Glenrock Blue in Douglas Wyoming on my way out west. Picked them up a week later on way home and they were gorgeous.

Doug at Glenrock Blue has a basket special....you can do several barrels for one fee ($65 I think? As of a couple years ago anyway).

He does some of the nicest bluing in North America and I think a lot of work for the filmmakers guild.I

He also does an oxide that looks exactly like Dilute but is (as he says) a lot more durable.

I haven't tried one of the Green Mountain barrels yet but had bad luck with a Numrich barrel. And when I took that off, as it's about .982" OD, I had to wrap it with rosin paper to get the wrench right enough to crack it loose!

Not sure if Kahr barrels are undersized but it wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by john