Bipod for horizontal foregrip ?

Hi,

I would like to adapt a bipod on my 1927 A1 long barrel,

for more stability, and also to have the look of the 1923 models.

I have an extra foregrip that i can modify with no regrets if needed !

I prefer an old manufacture (like WW2), rather than a current one.

any idea welcome

paul

1923thompson-bipod.jpg

The bipod is not attached to the foregrip. There are bipods that clamp to barrels. That would be my first start point if I wanted it to look like the 1923 model. The second point would be for Dan Block to make a new foregrip that is shaped like the 1923 one with the wider and deeper finger grooves.

Definitely that bipod is barrel mounted, but it will mar your barrel.

Now making a bipod on a hand guard might be interesting.. or maybe add a bipod adapter to the handguard, like a harris bipod adapter.. or picatinny rail to use more modern bipods.

Are you going to start with a bipod?

Because I have different models (http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23353&hl=), I will shot at longer distance with the Commando

Definitely that bipod is barrel mounted, but it will mar your barrel.

Now making a bipod on a hand guard might be interesting.. or maybe add a bipod adapter to the handguard, like a harris bipod adapter.. or picatinny rail to use more modern bipods.

I do not want to mar the barrel :blush:

I'm thinking to adapt on the forearm, but modern bipods don't have a vintage look, not match with the gun !

Ivan, I contacted Paul about your dad’s Thompson wood you sold me but he declined due to shipping to France. Guess he’s looking for ideas to build his own. As my build evolved into a 1928 take down stock style sbr instead of a British military build I never did anything with your dad’s nice stock work. As my wife used to say about keeping things that you’re not using, ‘it ain’t eating anything.’ Maybe a M1A1 eventually.

• Upvote 1

I was able to get a fore end from Dan and am trying this bipod

If I raise it I can use a C drum also. It clamps on the barrel and I did not tighten enough for it to mark barrel with some electrical tape. Not exactly the way I want it but getting there7991760B-39C0-4224-B912-735FD1415F96.jpeg

Edited by Vettom

Thanks everybody for interest

Barrels are cheap. I would not worry about damaging one..

In France it is not easy to own an extra barrel, it will be counted like a full gun !

I think it's been mentioned before that its a version of the Hotchkiss bipod.

Hotchkiss bipod seems perfect but not easy to find (I really want a vintage one, not modern)

my project is to add an axle to the front of the forearm, and so to fix the bipod on it instead of the barrel (sorry, my technical English is not very good ! )

The two things I can see you doing is making a custom handguard and add the bipod to that.. like Ivan example.

Other idea is to add a heat resistant material between the bipod and the barrel, helping to prevent marring of the barrel when clamping it down.

Thanks everybody for interest

Barrels are cheap. I would not worry about damaging one..

In France it is not easy to own an extra barrel, it will be counted like a full gun !

>

I think it's been mentioned before that its a version of the Hotchkiss bipod.

Hotchkiss bipod seems perfect but not easy to find (I really want a vintage one, not modern)

my project is to add an axle to the front of the forearm, and so to fix the bipod on it instead of the barrel (sorry, my technical English is not very good ! )

Check out an Israeli FAL bipod.

I remember a post about something like this. A quick search found this post by md66948, but photos were deleted. It had to do with a knurled knob sticking out of the front of the handguard. Barrel sized for clamping a bipod to.

can you post a couple of view pictures of the top of the Bren Mk3 bipod where it goes on the barrel?

At least these may be obtainable thanks in advance