• 4 months later...

Didn't Vic Morrow play Dutch Schultz in a movie or episode of The Untouchables?

He had the starring role in Portrait of a Mobster. Warner Brothers 1961. Not a bad flick, they used some footage from the 1939 Warner Brother film, The Roaring Twenties.

He appears in two Untouchables episodes.

in search of blank adaptor for my thompson , any help appreciated

I don't have any personal interest in shooting blanks ( :rolleyes:), but a movie armorer/07 friend tells me that you first start with the blank.

Different blanks can vary in power level, and the diameter of the restrictor, and possibly recoil spring, needs to be sized accordingly.

A Cutts is easier to adapt -a restrictor can be installed inside it. A ring sight barrel needs to be drilled and tapped for a restrictor.

He also said Swanson blanks are the most common he has seen used with Thompsons.

You might wish to contact Reconbob (here on the board).

He has by far the most Thompson blank firing experience, along with some other very unique blank innovations.

Edited by mnshooter

I have shot a lot of blanks and will caution that they will ruin a barrel very quickly. I have never shot them out of a live thompson but did out of a ppsh and mp40. My recommendation is buy a blank fire thompson and dont beat up your live gun.

Since we're enjoying Combat! again, a detail from one of Sandman's original photo posts:

Notice the heavy weld at the front of the receiver nose, melted into the rear of the barrel.

As the blank firing barrels required frequent removal for cleaning (and often had visible wrench flats), this had to be a Dewat prop.

Also: Not enough detail retained here to be certain, but that looks like a 21 actuator.

ADDED:

Though that is definitely a 28, possibly a Navy actuator was grabbed from the parts bin to complete the dewat?

Parts were parts, back then.

welded.PNG

Edited by mnshooter
  • Upvote 1

Since we're enjoying Combat! again, a detail from one of Sandman's original photo posts:

Notice the heavy weld at the front of the receiver nose, melted into the rear of the barrel.

As the blank firing barrels required frequent removal for cleaning (and often had visible wrench flats), this had to be a Dewat prop.

Also: Not enough detail retained here to be certain, but that looks like a 21 actuator.

Marc,

Sharp eye! I noticed the the same thing in that picture several years ago. I was thinking at the time that it was probably a DeWat that was ReWatted for live fire and blanks. Your assessment makes sense though, because most of the Colt guns that were blank adapted had the fins ground flat near the front for the quick barrel changes. It is a 1928A1 and not a Colt. Interesting stuff, at least to this old Combat fan.

Saunders carried an unusual "M1911", as seen in S19E3, and a few appearances in other shows.

It had a top rib and adjustable sight at the extreme rear of the slide; very Gold Cup like, but definitely not a GC.

Never have figured out just what it is.

Not the best photo, but here it is.

No external extractor, and some sort of enlarged front bushing; possibly a blank adapter of some sort.

Also shows Vic's short index finger, the reason for always using his middle finger on the trigger.

Marc,

I don't have access right now to some publicity stills from "Hear No Evil", where Saunders is temporarily deaf. There are some close up stills of him holding the 1911 pistol, which I believe is actually a 9mm pistol adapted for blanks, based on the muzzle diameter. It has the adjustable rear sight. Maybe it is a Gold Cup series pistol, apparently they were introduced in the late 1950's. I believe in one of the photos you can see the round emblem with the Colt Trademark "Horse" on the grip. I'll check my photos when i get home in a few days and make another post on this topic.

For what it's worth the term Gold Cup appeared on the series 70 commercial M1911. Prior to this guns were roll marked "National Match". The original National Match was introduced with fixed sights in 1932. An adjustable rear sight became available in 1935. Commercial production of M1911 pistols was suspended in 1942 so that Colt could focus on the war effort. The National Match then re-emerged in the commercial market in 1957. These guns were still roll marked "National Match" on the slide but interestingly enough, came in multi-color boxes that said "Gold Cup". Then, with the 'improved' Series 70 pistol the roll marking was changed to Gold Cup.

Sorry - much more than anyone here cares:)

Yes the loadable military jacket Have the dvd series seems like everybody else has and music man Mills sent me the combat series log book. a great read.w/o going thru the shows does anybody remember Chip firing a 1911 45 auto in the series.And never once can i remember them picking up a MP-40 if they ran low.RON K.

There was one episode about a country boy who turned out to be an odd but effective soldier. He uses a captured MP40 if I recall correctly.

Private Lovelace