M1-A1 BFONG

Jeff,

I am in the same "boat" on 1928A1 Upper and 80%-Receivers.....waiting on "lists".

I hope that Bob is doing well (health).........I believe that Bob is just overly busy at this time.........just be patient waiting, and send an e-mail every few months (?). I'm sure that he will get back with us soon.

Regards, RichardS.

US Army, RET

Blanksguy2001@outlook.com

Edited by Blanksguy

I am also on his list for an 80% 1928 display receiver. Speaking of the ATF, did anyone else see where the ATF could have their new determinations and revised definitions of 80% parts could be as soon as early April? It sure seems like we are living in "extreme" times.

Yes, I recall the earlier "thread"..........at that time, Bob was waiting for a "Determination" from Tech.-Branch about changing the Bolt-face/size to accept standard .45ACP-Blanks as the initial BFONG was approved by Tech.-Branch using a reduced diameter-rim Blank.

I believe that Bob is just real busy.......and we all need breaks some time.

Regards, RichardS

US Army, RET

Blanksguy2001@outlook.com

It is said that "unfinished (80%) receivers" will have to be "DROS"'-ed in CA starting soon.

After accepting their "nominal fee", the state will provide a serial number to be engraved vividly on the item, and there will be the usual background check and 10-day wait.

Want one in CA? Better get an order in. ...Phil

Edited by anjong-ni

I bought the 28 as a barreled upper assembly and added my own TSMG lower and Lyman sight to save a few bucks. Runs and looks great, Edited by anticus

Bob announced his blank only M1A1 on 12-24-2016. Prices in 12-2016 were advertised as the following. I am offering these to board members at a pre-production price of $2495. The special blanks for the gun sell for $25 per box of 50.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20191

Edited by Bridgeport28A1
  • Upvote 1

OK. I'm stupid but can someone break down the BFONG acronym for me. I figured out that B=blank, F=firing but cannot figure out the rest, and I do play WORDLE now and again.

I am sorry I did not see this sooner. here is an update -

Yes, I sent the ATF a gun with a bolt that would fire standard .45 blanks, and over one

year later they ruled this was not allowed. (Don't ask their reasoning it will drive you crazy.)

So I am making the original gun with the reduced rim blanks.

I do keep an list of people who are interested in a gun, and after the wait for ATF I am

making more guns. I have also (finally) found a machine shop to make the major components

so that I can concentrate on assembly, bluing, etc. and I expect to get more and more guns

out there.

The price for the gun was originally $2495 for the M1A1 and $3650 for the M1928A1. I will

have to revisit these prices because everything has gotten more expensive. Steel has almost

doubled in cost since the beginning of last summer, And the original parts used to complete

the guns have also become harder to find and more expensive. The entire trigger frame and

stock assembly of the gun is standard G.I. Thompson. I make trigger frames but all of the other

parts are G.I.

The blanks are made from new/virgin brass cases with a crimped end. The original price for the

blanks was 50 cents a round. (Now over 5 years ago.) That was when primers were 3 cents each.

The current price of the blanks is 67 cents each and this almost entirely due to primers being over

4 times the cost of what they were back then. It seems that the cost of primers is slowly coming

down and the cost of the blanks will come down as well. The blanks have always been sold in

200 round boxes.

I cannot predict delivery time because no deposit is required to be on my list, and I do not know

how many people will drop out when it is time to actually buy the gun.

I appreciate those hanging in there with me on the project. I will say this - the gun is all machined

steel, and looks, weighs, feels, and sounds like a real Thompson. The only thing missing is bullets.

When the gun was finished and approved, we spent weeks working on the ammo. We had to find a powder,

a blank adaptor size, etc. and there was no source of reference for this because it had never been

done before. The initial firings the gun fired too fast, and the empty cases were violently ejected a great

distance. But we got it figured out. Also, we fired the gun with a decibel meter to make sure that it also

sounded like a Thompson and went BANG instead of "pop".

Bob/Phila Ord

Thank you for the update, Bob. The organization I work for (WW2Armor.org) owns one of your M1A1 BFONGs and it is a work of art. They really are externally indistinguishable from a live gun. We're getting low on ammo for it, so we'll have to plus up here soon. Thanks for what you do! I may have to get on your list to get one of the barreled receivers to go along with my personal transferable M1 Thompson....