Magazine Base Plate Review

I ordered some magazine floorplates for my 20-30 round magazines from Numrich Gun Parts Corp and this is what I got. I think they have all been cleaned up and refinished, some are pretty pitted. But I do think they are serviceable, and at $4.86 a plate, I can't complain.
Mark

post-275737-0-20087700-1650759174_thumb.jpeg

If the word "pitted" or something similar was not included in the description, I would complain about a few of them. However, the floor plates do look serviceable.

I don't recall ever having any that didn't have the two processing dimples on them.

Were there any GI floorplates that came like that?

I believe there was only one manufacturer of the thirty-round magazines that used the dimpled floor plates. Roger (TSMG1928) would know for sure. I know that the 1970's MGC replica Thompson magazines used the dimpled floor plate.

Gijive is correct. Seymour is the only WWII manufacturer who used the dimpled floorplates, and only on their later 30-round mags. MGC chose to copy the design. I do not know if MGC adopted it intentionally, or simply copied a Seymour mag.

The military mag drawing that shows the dimpled floorplate design change dates it as 12 October 1942. Because it was an alternative solution, it was not adopted by the other manufacturers. Seymour also manufactured their mags much later in WWII than any of the other companies.

Gijive is correct. Seymour is the only WWII manufacturer who used the dimpled floorplates, and only on their later 30-round mags. MGC chose to copy the design. I do not know if MGC adopted it intentionally, or simply copied a Seymour mag.

The military mag drawing that shows the dimpled floorplate design change dates it as 12 October 1942. Because it was an alternative solution, it was not adopted by the other manufacturers. Seymour also manufactured their mags much later in WWII than any of the other companies.

Roger,

Thanks for weighing-in on this. Sorry I got your screen name wrong, I was doing it from memory, I should have looked it up.

I ordered some magazine floorplates for my 20-30 round magazines from Numrich Gun Parts Corp and this is what I got. I think they have all been cleaned up and refinished, some are pretty pitted. But I do think they are serviceable, and at $4.86 a plate, I can't complain.

Mark

attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_3f38.jpeg

I am curious, why do you need extra floorplates? I have many, many magazines and have shot Thompsons for many years and I have never needed a replacement magazine floorplate, what's the need?

Sure Mike,

I picked up about 18 30 round magazines, and two of them had the little tab at the back of the base plate broken off. The magazines were in good shape, but the tabs had failed when the previous owner had cleaned them. I decided to replace them (I guess I didnt need to replace them, but they were broken so, why not?) and I decided to pick up a few spares, just in case. I have also ordered a few followers, just in case.

Mark

Edited by Rabbit57

I thought about the comment left by TD, and I contacted the seller. They agreed to replace the badly pitted plates, and this is what I got today as replacements. I am pretty happy about how this turned out, these plates are much better. I did not really think about returning the plates, its surplus and sometimes you get what you get. But next time something like this happens again, I wont hesitate to ask about replacements.
Mark

post-275737-0-69070600-1651529679_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1