Thompson Tokarev conversion......

While rummaging and finding the 9mm conversion mag I asked about earlier, also dug this out.....Have had it for about 10 years and was one another of those things I dug out of a bin at the Creek during my wandering. From pictures I saw in another thread, It looks to match the Chinese conversion and that was the tale I got when I bought it. Was hoping someone here might have seen one sell and had an idea what it's value is. The PPS43 mag fits well, but will have to have the retention tab cut a hair to fit the adapter latch. I assume this was done to allow for setting the mag height in the conversion. In fitting this to a receiver it looks like something is missing to help it latch to the drum slots......or possibly requires drilling and tapping a hole on the underside of the nose piece.

If any one is interested in it, I'm not emotionally attached to it and am always up for a trade. :D I was going to build a Tokarev Thompson , but if I do I'd prefer to do it with an M1A1 and a modified CZ26 mag. of which I have a nice selection. It will be a stupid simple mod to the mag requiring no mods to any part of the weapon other than the obvious ones to the Bolt and barrel. Also considering some experimentation with a sleeve that could could be made to fit a 45 barrel. Extending/making an ejector will be easier with a M1 as well.

Look forward to your comments.

Rudy

post-262160-0-83857200-1664916972_thumb.jpg

post-262160-0-24339600-1664916989_thumb.jpg

post-262160-0-26700500-1664917001_thumb.jpg

post-262160-0-51136500-1664917015_thumb.jpg

post-262160-0-63854200-1664917028_thumb.jpg

post-262160-0-70070900-1664917036_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist,

The kit looks correct as a probable Chinese version. The PPS43 mags do not need modified, but the mag adapter does require modification to the trigger frame for its installation. Typically, the ejector does not need modification/extension. If you were to make an M1-style conversion, you could use the barrel for that. It sounds like you have a better approach for magazines than what the Chinese used in their 1928-style guns. The relief cuts on the lower sides of the bolt are only required to accommodate the feed lips of the PPS43 mag, which sits very high in the feed area. Feeding of Tokarev cartridges from the original WWII U.S.-made magazines (vary rare to find) or 9mm cartridges from UD42 mags, with the appropriate barrel and bolt of course, does not require these relief cuts.

To answer your question about value, it is hard to say, since these kits are not sold that often. As Dan mentioned, the bolt in the kit that Richard had for sale was modified this year by him. It also had a new-made barrel, so the only period parts were the mag adapter and mag. It is hard to validate the age or source of these kits. Yours includes an actuator and Blish lock, and also what appears to be a modified lock. I would be interested to know if the actuator and bolt are of U.S. manufacture. They should be marked if they are. If not, and assuming the actuator is not a West Hurley cast actuator, that could add a little more to the value of your kit.

I have seen these kits go for anywhere between $400 and $600, but it could be higher. Hope this helps.

Edited by TSMG28

Mad Machinist,

Oh, do we miss the Creek. I remember a kit like yours for sale at Knob Creek years ago by a seller towards the back of the pole barn. I cannot remember the price but it was not cheap. He also had a few extra parts for this conversion, perhaps a barrel.

Mad Machinist,

Oh, do we miss the Creek. I remember a kit like yours for sale at Knob Creek years ago by a seller towards the back of the pole barn. I cannot remember the price but it was not cheap. He also had a few extra parts for this conversion, perhaps a barrel.

Probably the same one...... :D I had something he wanted......so I traded for it

Edited by Mad Machinist