WTB : Reproduction Thompson spare parts tin.

I read somewhere that the original boxes were typically lost or failed in some way. In numerous original FBI and police cases were found either tin cigar or harmonica boxes. Far less expensive and nowhere near as rare to find either in a period correct example.

I have a 1932 harmonca box

16795109004872879747238599020601.jpg

1679510938277539186260951599077.jpg

16795110459327516517492612287115.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2023 at 3:43 PM, colt21a said:

When that ad came out Curtis called me on it and wanted the five  M1's i had. I said i have a nice 1918 Winchester blue bar,{ He had jacked me around on a nice 98% 21ac years before. would not pay me $3,000 sent me a check for payment, of $2,000 i said ship gun back for full refund he said nope.} I have the gun now, tough beans, I sat back waited it out. When he called again on M1's he said oh you the big player now i said yes. why you worried? He said i want the Bar i said payment in full. he paid i shipped him gun without the wood Buttstock. and parts.

he called flipped out.you could feel the steam thru the phone. suing, lawyers, all threats. i said remember my Colt 1921AC. HE DID. I said we are even..and hung up... Also later i got a free MG-42 on another of his bad deals. sold it to Irv Kahn in Ohio for $900 bucks. so i was made whole again on the loss.>Later in years  when i moved to AZ we made up like 2 good ole boys, and everything was cool. of course i paid for the chinese dinner in full when we went out. men sometimes do that stuff.

I made many friends on both sides of Law and  order.

that is why i am still here.I think Marty is still around at 90. At shows i hear names and they say who?I said you would not know that name it  was 45 years ago.very very few are still around Mr 1971 in Florida still is. If they started in 1967 they have me beat.

Since i was dealing guns in the Marines in 68/69 to start. Well enough fireside chat.CAN'T BORE the new breed of guys.

Here is a link to an old topic on the same subject:

An Amateurs Guide for the Colts Thompson Submachine Gun by Tom Davis also has a chapter on the Spare Part Kit containers. It includes description and photos showing the differences between Gordon's containers and the original containers produced from the late 1920's.

I was asked by Shea years ago to put down some of the deals over the 50 years.And places i have been and the over 1,000 Thompsons i have seen, and the over 100 plus Colts i owned, along with many more other non Colts.maybe not like Roger.but way more than Terry and, and Fred.and Jerry. And i said i can mention hundreds of deals with Names.

And can even give you details of bad deals. or some con jobs. And he said well wait Ron that might be too deep there. And are some still kicking? and i said yes a few and a few well known names.  and A FEW well borderline deals, we shook hands and done forever. No more bizz. Made many a good friend and all would take my calls. Because yeah they made bucks off me and i would always pay back a favor  with a deal or cash.

Or would send them customers and they made thousands. I should know i checked it always...and always gave a guarantee or refund.And did not have to lie or b.s. some tale. {as a few did to me} yeah thats business there not the love of the history of the items,That i always put first.

And Dan said so a little toe stepping might not be good.And i said well if you want the real story.Even how some guns became what they are. Or the Ottawa Range story.the Auto ord. Colt RELEASE OF RECORDS. THE MAREMONT M-60 DEAL. THE BOOK Double Deal 2003

All about the Chicago Typewriter co. Arm ltd. and ARMCO.companies I owned,  Quotable Capone 1993,AND depts who i went to and tried cutting deals including Chicago P.D. and the CHICAGO TRIBUNE  Thompson. and the RACINE GUN #3363.And a few other well knowns. and my guide to Appraise and qualify a Colt  Commercial gun.

HE LAUGHED oh i guess the size of Gordons book I said maybe 2 of them.

Since we might go back to 1969 and that gun running deal....i told DAN nobody would care, or read the entire deal.

and over 80% are gone{PEOPLE} already. and current readers would have no idea.who the heck was who. As most started around  1990s today. And only  a handful left from 1969.

I handed over info to Gordon and Doug when they had been around.And even Earl. 

So when i get a lil teed or  read something and say oh well.Its because i have done all that stuff before. And seen items and things i never put in some book or down on paper.

Even my meet with Bill H. was a chance meet.and ended up a good friendship.Because Bill is a good and honest man.

My Wife of 48 years always says.... They won't believe it anyhow and I have been thru most of  it with you, "And i still don't"

So its fun to post here. And bore you with all of it. 

I did thru a family contact locate a  Moran GANG Hawthorne Hotel 21a. >Recently<As i still am in contact with a few around the u.s. and in Europe.I not only did Thompsons, but all the other semi and full auto stuff. a Steyr rep, Magnum Research. Clayco Import, The CHINA DEAL, And as Blake Stevens called me "The FAL NUT"

A tale for another day.RON K.

I like that only issue with SAR  Show, So many people never enough time.#1310 one i did keep for awhile like #5294 and #9131 and #8470 and #8780 aw Heck they all had a story to tell, But you get the favorites. I am glad you have it and also the others that they can enjoy. 

Excuse me, if I digress from the topic of this post, but Rons post above got me thinking.

Over the years, I have served and worked with many, what I used to call 'old and bold' soldiers. Guys who had served in the Foreign legion in Indo China, Algeria and many other small African wars in the 7O's and old SAS veterans who were serving before I was born...and I am 60 in May, where does time go. Most have passed away now, I was helping the widow of a former legionnaire who died earlier last month, clear through his belongings a few weeks ago.

I told all of them they should right down all the tales and experiences they could, otherwise the history will die with them. Not many took that advice.

I knew Tony Hunter Choat, through the Foreign Legion Association of Great Britain, as he was the secretary when I joined in 1991. Tony was a former legionnaire in the 1950/6Os, who went on to serve in the British army and ended up as the commanding officer of 21 SAS. He also served in Oman for a period of time with the Sultan of Oman's forces, as a lot of ex SAS guys I know did.

Daily Telegraph obituary for Brigadier Tony Hunter-Choat | ParaData

Tony never wrote a book, but kept notes etc. and recently his wife asked a writer to put the memoirs into book format, which they did and published the book last year.
https://www.helion.co.uk/military-history-books/a-legion-para-in-algeria-tony-hunter-choats-war-1957-62.php?sid=5dde80b62d1385113c0e343a48e3454e

I also worked for a few years with Peter McAleese, who is still alive a kicking, desite all the close calls in during his life. He served in the British Para Regt. then SAS, then fought in Angola before joining the Rhodesian army. Following that he served in the Republic of South Africa's 44 Parachute Brigade, as a senior NCO.

Following along recovery from a parachute accident in South Africa, he worked in the private sector, and another job which almost cost his life, due to a helicopter crash, was on a contract to take out Pablo Escobar. That story was dramatized recently by Netflix. 

Peter did wrote a book, now out of print, 'No Mean Soldier', and more recently updated that with 'Beyond No Mean Soldier'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-Mean-Soldier-Explosive-Recollections/dp/1910294012

I never read either book, I heard all the stories first hand over dinner, during the years I worked with Pete, and they never bored me. To people who have not served in wars or conflict zones, a lot of the stories may be far-fetched, as are other stories I have heard from other former SAS and legion veterans, but they are worth recording.

Otherwise, as I said, those stories die with the individuals, food for thought Ron, I am sure your stories would be very much worth recording. I for one, would love to hear the stories never mind read about them, if I had the opportunity.

• Like 1

THAT IS A GREAT POST YOU HAVE THERE ON FRIENDS, REAL INTERESTING I knew a few direct Selous Scouts when Rhodesia was going on and had the rouster from the last teams and wing numbers. And many great conversations and knew Bob Brown from s.o.f.. magazine fame.  And how he started off with it.s.a.s. and all that always interested me. serving in 1968/74 in the Corps why would i not.i WILL look those books up.

And i can guarantee crazy stuff happens i was friends with the Harris brothers who got run out of Africa for gold and some gun parts smuggling. And a few other close calls. DOGS of War movie i have a great tale on that one, and the gun and L.E.S. and the arms dept. And also how one of my Clayco import ak's ended up in Hasenfus gun smuggle, and how i ended up with a very cool Russian Dragunov from a merc who served in the Congo. #h271 a very early one 1971 manufacture.

i think the c.i.a.had a 1968 model captured in Nam,I know i had to talk to them on another gun matter And figured well lets talk. And had  few PSMS Pistols. very rare for people who  know what they are. I have to look up those books sounds very interesting. a good buddy in town has a number of Commando Fairbairn's with all the u.k. family history... heck fun never stops.thanks again for that book info.the most amazing thing after 38 years I got out clean.out of all the close calls, and cases. and gov. involvement.

{Those who never entered have no clue whatsoever.}

{2003}"Double Deal" Book. will give you a clue.

Ron,

We all have skeletons in our closets that can tell a tale or two. Over the years I have been in a few scrapes and keep going back! Burkina Faso and Nairobi earlier this year, teaching Hostile Environment Awareness Training, and I am off next week to Senegal, to teach the course to another NGO.

Laurence,

You won't regret it!