New M1 AO Thompson post sample conversion

Hi, I’m looking to get a post sample M1 Thompson for my SOT. Endless searching for Saw Cut M1’s haven’t been fruitful. I managed to find a gentleman that claims with a bolt modification, and a couple receiver modifications along with an original lower parts kit, it can be done? 
what’s the best way to source and build a post sample? Thanks!

Best way to do it-do it right and quit the cheap/easy way of “let’s weld it back together” and machine a receiver. Been there, done that, looks a hell of a lot better PLUS you can take pride in knowing you did it from the ground up….not the “quick and easy way” 

Thats what being an 07/02 manufacture is about, doing it right and having something to be proud of. Too many times I see 07/02’s who have no clue how to actually manufacture something other than half ass welding something together or assembling a firearm like a Lego set. 

10 hours ago, 110 Sass Actual said:

Hi, I’m looking to get a post sample M1 Thompson for my SOT. Endless searching for Saw Cut M1’s haven’t been fruitful. I managed to find a gentleman that claims with a bolt modification, and a couple receiver modifications along with an original lower parts kit, it can be done? 
what’s the best way to source and build a post sample? Thanks!

Have you tried Bob Bower at Philadelphia Ordnance?  I believe he still makes high quality M1 dummy receivers.  If you are an 07/02 he should have what you need to lawfully complete an M1. 
Email: philaord@aol.com

Edited by 1921A
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

Here's what an amateur re-weld looks like

https://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27172-ww2-era-auto-ord-1928-for-sale/#comment-243415

Pure garbage.  Do yourself a favor and give up on the idea

I believe the assembler of that one was a "Niel Smith", Mentor, OH

7 hours ago, 1921A said:

Have you tried Bob Bower at Philadelphia Ordnance?  I believe he still makes high quality M1 dummy receivers.  If you are an 07/02 he should have what you need to lawfully complete an M1. 
Email: philaord@aol.com

+1 , great advise.

1 hour ago, SP Sarge said:

I believe the assembler of that one was a "Niel Smith", Mentor, OH

I hope you are mistaken.  Neal Smith is a well-known and well-regarded NFA manufacturer/gunsmith.  I find it inconceivable that he would have had anything to do with the creation of that abomination

I mentioned this in another thread, if you are not in a hurry and you were to attend a Thompson event this summer, either TATA or TCA, you will find at least two steel M1 dummy receivers that will be there for sale in dummy guns. Plus a couple more 1921/1928s. Maybe unmarked early Richardson or Phili Ord, not sure, but they will be there.

55 minutes ago, 110 Sass Actual said:

I’ve tried to reach out to Bob at Philly ordnance for a couple months now.. absolutely zero contact with him unfortunately. Is he out of business I’m assuming?

No. He is away right now and due back soon.