Were Magazine Housings Bent on Purpose?

I purchased this original mag housing. I was curious about the bent ears. Do you think this was bent on purpose. It seems too coincidental for both sides to be bent like this.  If this was on purpose, do you think this was considered a suitable fix?

100_1514.JPG

Edited by Sgt
clarity

13 hours ago, Sgt said:

I purchased this original mag housing. I was curious about the bent ears. Do you think this was bent on purpose. It seems too coincidental for both sides to be bent like this.  If this was on purpose, do you think this was considered a suitable fix?

100_1514.JPG

I'm sure others will chime in, however I have never seen this. Most likely it was caused by the housing striking a hard object and bending them in. 

There is no on purpose bent mag housing. However i am sure you know from the start of war conflicts.  Like taking the bolt and carrier out of M-16's. the bolt from K98's and the bending of barrels or running them over with any threaded veh. to make them non function for any enemy that might come across them did happen. Since in all wars the winners at the time would grab up whatever they could, and damage and destroy what they could not carry or haul away.Som e who knew removed firing pins thinking this was a quick fix on some. the enemy thought it works we good looks  ready to shoot. And some would just burn up the wood stocked rifles. figuring once the wood gone. and the metal cools off you just have the metal action,Many a AK found without top covers thinking it will not function {it does.} OR IN WATER COOLS TO SHOOT UP THE WATER JACKET.dumb.

just imagine you have a case of MP-40'S YOU can't get the mags inserted in. And notice wait the bolt and spring tele unit is gone also.

It is always good to watch any WAR movie they never check a mag or to see is it full loaded or what?  or take a extra mag if laying next to it.Very few go into that detail..SGT.Alvin York {Gary Cooper } picked up the Luger,But as we know he used his supposed 1911 with one in chamber to have 8 to shoot the ones running at him with bayonets drawn,

However a great movie scene,Anyhow enjoy the MP-40

Very good comments! Agreed! That must have been an accidental dent. Even though it doesn't look pretty, the mags fit perfectly in this surplus part, so I may leave it as is. Which part of the mag housing is most likely to cause the mags to fit loosely? Would it be the mag latch, or more likely to be a worn housing? 

Edited by Sgt

• 1 month later...

I don't believe that to be an "accidental dent" at all. That looks like an intentional bang by something such as a ball peen hammer. That was done to make the mags fit tighter in the well to reduce wobble, which can sometimes cause feeding issues. Normally, this magazine fit can be dealt with by the small tabs in the back of the mag well. I'd recommend against messing with these if you don't know what you're doing because they'll break off. This may be the reason for the ball peen lick to the mag well to keep the mags tight. Note that original MP.40 magazines can have varying tolerances as well. Some fit perfectly, some will be too tight, some too loose.