UPDATE: Merle .22 Conversion Kits

Today we were able to test a newly-assembled bolt with two different completed barrels in both an M1 and 1928 NAVY.  The tests were overall very successful, but we did identify some minor magazine-specific failures.  We also have a program tested successfully to machine the ejector groove in the incomplete barrels recovered from Merle's shop.

Now, the plan is to perform all of the machining necessary on the barrels, including the groove, chamber, and alignment tab.  Then the barrels, actuator assemblies, and bolt noses will be blued.  Finally, the ejector will be installed and tigged in place on each barrel.  Though we have all of the bolt components, each bolt assembly requires custom fitting of each part.  Finally, each kit will be tested for overall reliability. 

At this point, it is looking like the final price for a conversion kit will be $1200-1300.  We will be able to finalize the cost once we get the final quotes for the work needed to complete each kit. Merle’s family will be receiving a significant portion of the net proceeds.

We have both box and drum magazines, but all of the box mags need to be re-assembled, because Merle always modified the original follower for more reliability.  We have a limited number of drum adapter mounts for the Black Dog drums that we have, but those mounts can be moved between drums when shooting until we are able to arrange to make more adapters (unknown lead time).  Dan will be able to supply the modified Pietta PPS50 metal drums.  We were able to recover Merle's tooling to extend the cocking area of the Black Dog drum magazines, so that service will be available once tested.

Limited spare parts may be available once we have completed the first group of complete kits.  Merle's standard procedure was to require components to be returned to him for repair.  We have not yet determined if that process will be continued.

I will be replying via Email to all people that have contacted me about a kit or parts.

Roger

Edited by TSMG28

I can say that it was very interesting doing the testing as we found several small details we wouldn’t have thought of just looking at the kits, but seeing them in the raw, in process phase, it give a whole new appreciation for these kits. 

I will also say that I’ve never run a 22 kit in either my NAVY or my M1 I can say that it was strange with no recoil impulse from a 45acp….sure is fun!

I have four original black dog mags for the Thompson. They work with my Ceiner kit and hope they'll also work when I get one of these kits.

They were made from a plastic AR15 .22 mag with about a 1-3/4" piece of a tThompson stick mag spine screwed in place with four small wood screws.

Are these the "adaptors" you speak of for the modified drums?

John,

I expect your current mags will work with Merle’s kit, since his design is an improvement on the Ciener design.

However, the drum adapters are different. They are machined metal mounts designed and produced by Merle that bolt onto a slightly modified Black Dog PPS50 drum so that it locks in place using the normal mag catch.  Because this mount partially covers the manual winding slot on the drums, Merle also created the tooling and technique for extending that winding slot.  I recovered that tooling and will be able to perform this adjustment in the future.

We found a couple of the box mag adapters that you described, but as you noted, those were cut from original Thompson magazines. 

I will add a pic of the drum mount in the next day or two. 

Yep. My mags (early Black Dog, later Black Dog and original Ceiner mags) all work with both Ceiner and Merle kits, but as I have no cool drums, was wondering about sacrificing the early mounts to make a drum work 

Hopefully Black Dog is still making mags and maybe someone can make a run of drums too.

I'd buy a couple ....

1 hour ago, john said:

Yep. My mags (early Black Dog, later Black Dog and original Ceiner mags) all work with both Ceiner and Merle kits, but as I have no cool drums, was wondering about sacrificing the early mounts to make a drum work 

Hopefully Black Dog is still making mags and maybe someone can make a run of drums too.

I'd buy a couple ....

John, Blackdog Machine LLC still makes the drum used, they need the adapter and to have the winding area opened up. The metal Merle drum adapter he made and used was never sold by Merle separately.

https://www.blackdogmachinellc.net/drum-puma-50rd.aspx

They also still make the box magazines.

https://www.blackdogmachinellc.net/thompson-22.aspx

Edited by Bridgeport28A1

Thanks Ross, much appreciated.

Was invited to a friend's linespot at OFASTS last month and spent some time fine tuning mags. Sam got all his 30 rd Reising Christie mags shooting perfectly and I figured out a quick and easy way to tune all the Black Dog mags.....now they all work pretty good.

Maybe I'll buy a couple drums and a few more stick mags as being plastic, they'll eventually wear out!

Wonder if someone might be able to 3D print those adaptors?

Hey! Let's get shooting sometime soon!

Edited by john

Below is a pic of a Black Dog drum with Merle’s adapter attached to the back. It also has the longer winding slot modification. 

image.jpeg

Below is the adapter itself. 

image.jpeg

As with Merle, we only plan to sell the adapter mounted on a drum. 

Cool. Haven't looked at one close-up like that, but looking at it am sure you could speed up production and keep cost down by 3D printing those mounts 

The newer Black Dog stick mags use the hole in the plastic spine and I'm pretty sure the feed lips will wear out long before the mounting gets loose.

Maybe a dumb question, or pair of questions, but would threading the barrel for a 22cal suppressor be feasible? And if it is, would that affect the ability to use it on an M1 Thompson without a compensator and a 28A1 with a compensator?

Thanks! 

Mauser Matt,

I have one of Merle's kits with a suppressor adapter that threads onto the internal barrel sleeve. It extends the sleeve past the muzzle in both the M1 and 28 barrels with 1/2 x 28 tpi threads for adding a suppressor.  With a decent .22 suppressor the gun is very quiet. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, First Sergeant said:

Mauser Matt,

I have one of Merle's kits with a suppressor adapter that threads onto the internal barrel sleeve. It extends the sleeve past the muzzle in both the M1 and 28 barrels with 1/2 x 28 tpi threads for adding a suppressor.  With a decent .22 suppressor the gun is very quiet. 

Perfect! Thank you 1SG!!