Senator Long Louisiana Thompson

It’s possible. He had a slew of bodyguards and state police with him who did carry Thompsons, whether Thompson’s were guarding him in the hallway that evening in the capital is unknown. I have researched the so called “assassination” for 30 yrs. 50 rounds were shot into Weiss’s body. Weiss was blamed for shooting Long but I don’t believe he fired a shot, its likely the bullet that ended Long’s life came from the fusillade of bullets that his bodyguards fired at Weiss after Weiss tried striking Long. There were many ricochets in that marble hallway, any one of those rounds cold have hit Long. The killer bullet remains in Long’s corpse to this day, we will never know if it was a .32 from Weiss’s browning or a .45 from one of Long’s bodyguards. But With that amount of firepower directed at Weiss, it’s definitely possible a Thompson was fired in that hallway.

Edited by Mike Hammer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ivan said:

Thought Weiss was using a Colt Pocket Hammerless .32 auto ?

Be rather ironic if Long was accidently killed by his own goon squad.

Dr. Weiss obtained the Browning .32 in 1929 when he began his medical internship in Paris. He traveled to Belgium to get a shotgun for his father at the Fabrique Nationale plant. While he was there he picked up this pistol for himself for $8 U.S. Here is a photo I took of his gun several years ago as it is now housed in the Old State Capitol in Baton Rouge. 

Oddly enough Long was never X-rayed after he was shot so the surgeons were just fishing through a bullet hole to find something. After his death and at the mortuary, a Dr. Lorio opened Long and pulled out a bullet. He said it was a .45 or at least a .38 and not smaller. This bullet must have conveniently disappeared because it would have shown it didn't come from Weiss's gun but from one of his bodyguards. It is believed there was still another bullet inside him when he was buried, Long was never autopsied.

After reading everything I could get ahold of on the subject over the years, it's my opinion that Weiss never had the gun on him in that hallway that evening. I believe Weiss confronted Long and attempted to punch him. When this happened I believe Long's bodyguard Joe Vitrano attempted to shoot Weiss but accidently hit Long in the back. As soon as the first shot was fired, everyone who carried a gun, (and it must have been several) open up on Weiss. Year's later several people claimed that there heard Vitrano mumbling that "I killed my Boss".

There certainly may have been a Thompson being carried by one of the state troopers guarding him that evening. As far as I know there is no record of who shot a gun in that hallway that evening or what guns they might have used, that would be interesting to know.

The crime scene photos do not show Weiss's gun at the scene, why, maybe because he didn't have it with him. Weiss's car keys were never found on his body or recovered. Witness's claimed Weiss's car had been moved from where it was originally parked outside the Capitol. Weiss kept that pistol in the glove box of his car. I believe the gun was retrieved from Weiss's car after the incident and used as evidence to his assassination attempt and forever labeling him as a lone crazed killer.

This is a very compelling and interesting story even after all these years. Long could have been President in 1936 and history could be a Weiss Gun.jpggreat deal different than it is today if this incident never had happened. If you are interested in reading more about the Long killing, here are a few books that shed some insight into the events that transpired.

IMG_5166.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5167.jpg

Edited by Mike Hammer

I’ve got some nice stills of Brodrerick Crawford from that film. While he didn’t have a Louisiana accent, (thankfully) Crawford did a great job in the personification of Long and the power he wielded over people.

Another Hollywood film was done about Long's brother Earl, it was called "Blaze" starring Paul Newman. I got to play a small part in that one. They had one or two of Earl's old cronies that I worked with on set. The only benefit for me was I met Blaze Starr and we kept in touch till she passed away some years ago, a sweet lady. Newman didn't even remotely resemble "Uncle Earl" but that's Hollywood for you.

Edited by Mike Hammer

Thanks for the info Mike Hammer ! 

Yes things would have been different if Kingfish had beat FDR for the Demonrat nomination. 

Strange Ranger has the big question though.

Weiss shot 50 times WITHOUT a Thompson ?!?

How many of Longs goons actually fired their weapons ?

• Upvote 1

I forgot to mention that within walking distance of the Baton Rouge Capitol where Long was shot is the "Capitol Park Museum". It's worth a visit if you are in the area and touring the state capitol. There is a Huey Long exhibit and on display are two Colt Thompson's which may have been used by those who guarded Long. The guns are displayed so that the serial numbers are not visible. I suppose I could ask the curator if he might be able to provide that information. But I believe that these guns were part of the cache of 12 or 13 Thompsons that came from the Jackson Barracks in New Orleans. Some of those guns were damaged by flooding from Hurricane Katrina. We had a discussion here several years ago started by the boards' "halftrack". (see the link). It would be nice if we could get a recent update on the status of those guns.

Thompson.jpg

20 hours ago, StrangeRanger said:

The real question may be: "How did the guards shoot Weiss 50 times without a Thompson?"  Seems pretty certain that a Thompson was involved

"Those in the Capitol that night said it sounded like machine guns or firecrackers.

Bystanders scrambled away, bullet shells littered the floor and gunsmoke burned eyes and fogged the view."

Robert Travis Scott  The Times Picayune 9/5/2010

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of I believe 12 Thompson’s that was loaned or given to the Huey Long detail that are now part of the LANG museum collection at Jackson Barracks.  Some went underwater from Katrina.  And yes, some have missed matched parts now. 

IMG_1730.jpeg

IMG_1724.jpeg

IMG_1729.jpeg

IMG_1734.jpeg

IMG_1726.jpeg

Edited by halftrack
  • Upvote 1

If you are in the area by all means the Louisiana State Capitol building is a must see. It's a magnificent piece of architecture. It was built in 1931 around the same time as The Empire State Building and boasts some of the finest Art Deco work ever made. It is the tallest state capitol in the U.S. When you go to the back hallway where the shooting took place, it's like stepping back in time as nothing has changed since that fateful evening on Sept. 8 1935. Some bullet holes from that event are visible in the marble halls and columns, it's very eerie, and you are often alone to peruse the area. I have visited there many times over the years and always bring visiting guests there. 

Gov. Long's body is interred on the grounds in front of the capitol under a huge Bronze statue. The best view of the grounds and gardens is from the observation deck at the top of the building. Best of all, it won't cost you a penny to go up there, unlike the Empire State Bldg.    

state-capitol-building.jpg

Louisiana_State_Capitol_Top.jpg

800px-Huey_Long_Statue_&_Burial_Site.jpg

o (1).jpg

Picture 175.jpeg

Picture 174.jpeg

Picture 176.jpeg

DSC00678.jpeg

DSC00686.JPG

Edited by Mike Hammer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2023 at 1:10 PM, 1gewehr said:

Nice AVG jacket!!!

Thanks. I am a bit of a flight jacket aficionado. That is one of many leather flight jackets that I own. One of my hobbies is getting the blank jacket and fixing them up with Patches and doing a "Good Girl" nose art painting on the back, all of of my own design. I also make leather patches as well. The back of this jacket has the "Yippee-Ki-Yay" painting on it, here are a few more paintings that I did on some of my other jackets. Great stuff!

IMG_5318.JPG

IMG_5319.jpg

IMG_5320.jpg

Tail Wind.jpg

• Like 1