How to get more details on a FOIA Request?

I have a 1928 that I have done a regular FOIA on that shows it was a 1968 amnesty gun. It shows acquired in 1940 but the line that states from where obtained is redacted. That is what I would of course like to find out. No desire to know the original owners name etc. Seems I have read there is a way to delve deeper into the FIOA records but I don't know how other than the first common step. Can someone point me in the right direction?

quinn1964,

Welcome to the Thompson forum.

I am curious as to the date of your FOIA packet.

I have had some success over the years in deciphering Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) packets. I find the information can be very valuable, especially with Savage Thompsons. If you would like my insight, contact me at: tkd5501@fuse.net. 

7 hours ago, First Sergeant said:

TD is 'Da Man' when it comes to FOIA requests. He has helped me in several requests that were returned within a relatively short time. 

Amen.

6 hours ago, Colt Chopper said:

3rd that !!!

4th that! Tom helped me with a second request that resulted in more information than the first.

Sixth on Tom helping me with my FOIA.  

He's very knowledgeable.   I suggest that you send your papers to him.

As far as squeezing more information out of ATF goes, the registration documents on your gun are technically tax records and there is no way on God's green earth that you are getting them to un-redact anything.

I got very lucky - they screwed up and didn't redact the letterhead on a letter, so I know the police department that originally purchased my Savage Commercial.   But getting that information was a complete fluke.

I actually had a year long written correspondence with the head of the FOIA dept begging and pleading with her to tell me who owned my M1A1 and no dice.   I tried to wear her down and nothing came of it.  

Government people live by rule books.

If anyone was ever able to squeeze more information out of them, I'd love to hear about it.   

It really is a shame, because the institutional information is harmless.  If ATF tells you that your Thompson belonged to the San Francisco PD, how does that hurt anyone?

Edited by Doug Quaid

On 2/15/2024 at 10:50 AM, TD. said:

quinn1964,

Welcome to the Thompson forum.

I am curious as to the date of your FOIA packet.

I have had some success over the years in deciphering Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) packets. I find the information can be very valuable, especially with Savage Thompsons. If you would like my insight, contact me at: tkd5501@fuse.net. 

Just sent you an email! :D