NOS Savage finned barrel

1 hour ago, reconbob said:

I wish you all the best. It seems like M1928A1 parts are dead now. I recently

sold a M1928A1 MINT/NOS barrel on GB and it went for $230.

Bob

That sounds pretty low for a NOS barrel, mine is at that now after 3 days. On GB it seems to be all in the timing.

I got some tips from a High-volume GB dealer... start at .01 or a dollar to generate interest and bids, start and end on a Sunday at 9:00 - 10:00 PM when most people are home, and end at an even time e.g. 10:00 not 10:07 etc.  If you look at past auctions that started out high, they usually generate zero bids. If you get lucky you will get two  bidders in a mano-a-mano contest and you will win. (I know I have been in such contests) On low-interest parts valued at less than $100.00, do a buy it now or you will likely give the parts away, and you can advertise them elsewhere and end the listing if you sell it.

Back in the 1990s the Pacific International Inc in California was selling original Thompson barrels NEW in the grease for $22.00  each.

They were advertised as 1928 finned barrels, but some were M1 and some smooth 1928 barrels, me and a friend bought a lot of them. I can remember being disappointed (at $22.00) when I unwrapped a few and they were M1 barrels! I spoke with a salesman (in those days you had to call, and talk, on the telephone to order parts) He told me that they found the barrels stored in the Philippines. Those barrels are all long gone now, sold most with parts kits when barrels were banned from import.

I bought a finned barrel from Bob when he first started selling them about eight to ten years ago but I forgot how much I paid. Bob do you remember they were bought directly from you not GB ?

On 2/21/2024 at 8:44 PM, inertord said:

It appears that the ready availability and low cost of aftermarket TSMG Barrels has brought down demand for USGI Barrels. 

I'm kind of a purist, as are most Thompson guys and gals.  I would not put an aftermarket barrel on an original WWII gun, a West Hurley or a post sample probably.

• 4 weeks later...

This always happens when something becomes available as a reproduction. Franks right you can't beat NOS ! Those barrels are probably ok for a shooter grade gun. A lot of Thompson owners want the correct markings on their parts.