USPS registered mail - WARNING!

On 3/14/2024 at 11:14 PM, reconbob said:

On the third attempt to prove the value of the $2500 M1A1 parts set I succeeded. Sending a copy of the original invoice along with copies of the USPS money orders used to pay for it were not acceptable proof of value.

I went back through emails and orders and sent copies of emails where two separate customers requested a quote for the parts set and my reply that the price was $2500. I also sent copies of the two separate invoices and the postal money orders used to pay. And I included a copy of a Gunbroker invoice where I sold an M1A1 parts set for $2500.

I am older and wiser now. I have sold machine guns in the past in the $15K-$20K range and sent them registered mail. But how could I prove value if they do not accept the invoice and a copy of the payment? Unlike the parts sets I could not backtrack and find multiple quotations and invoices for the same item. They were one of a kind. 

I can see it now - sell a transferable Thompson for $25K. It gets lost. The post office, who know nothing about machine guns, see that a post sample sells for $3K and considers that to be the value of the gun. No thanks.

Bob

I'm glad you got some resolution, in my experience dealing with lost, damaged shipments, you must be persistent. They never pay on the first attempt hoping you will give up. 

I wonder WHAT happened to the parts kit? Pretty big box to go missing. The missing signature is a mystery.

Once I had a registered mail shipment that was lost, the PO found it locked in their cage, apparently they forgot about it.

5 hours ago, Frank Iannamico said:

I'm glad you got some resolution, in my experience dealing with lost, damaged shipments, you must be persistent. They never pay on the first attempt hoping you will give up. 

I wonder WHAT happened to the parts kit? Pretty big box to go missing. The missing signature is a mystery.

Once I had a registered mail shipment that was lost, the PO found it locked in their cage, apparently they forgot about it.

My guess is that it will eventually show up. My PPSH sat in a locked storage bin for 41 days... nobody checked it! Unbelievable.

It is still the US postal circus.

I'd recommend contacting your state Representative or state Senator.

Technically it's a public corporation as it's no longer a department if the dot.giv, but your rep or senator will get things moving.

Worked at the St Paul USPS iffice 30 years ....There's a reason I refer to it as the postal circus. That is .....

The clowns are in charge!