Why are we filling drum magazines with grease?

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 5:59 PM, Sterling Thompson said:

Hello Mr. Quaid,

On the copy of machinist drawings I have number D6535504 titled "Rotor Assembly" there is a note that states in all capitol letters quote, "SPRING CASE TO BE PACKED WITH GULF SUPREME CUP GREASE #3 OR EQUAL BEFORE ASSEMBLING TO ROTOR."

This was done after the rotor spring was riveted to the rotor spring case and the hub pin was staked. 

I hope that this will clarify your concerns as to if this was done originally.

Sterling Thompson

IMG_0542.jpg

That is one heck of a 1st post.  Thanks.

Looks like I'll be leaving the grease in my drum.

I'll bet that the reason that everyone is greasing their drum mags nowadays is because someone saw that note on the AOC drawing in the past.  It would be a real coincidence if everyone just spontaneously decided to lube their drums with grease.

This drawing also answers the question as to why there is no grease port or factory grease tool - lubing was done prior to final assembly at the factory.

Edited by Doug Quaid

14 hours ago, laurencen said:

if I recall correctly some said fill with grease until it comes out the crimps around the assembly, have to be honest I made the grease adaptor, tried filling and regret it as the grease is now turning almost liquid and leaking out, not a lot but enough to be a pain, fortunately its never going to be used in my lifetime here up north the second drum I pumped 4 or 5 shots and its good.

one can only guess with the rotor filled up with grease in cold weather it must slow down the rate of fire, be easy to see shoot a drum, put it in the freezer and try again.

interesting this not was never quoted until now

have a great week everyone

Why not just pump a new load of grease in it and let the old stuff get squeezed out by the new?

5 hours ago, Doug Quaid said:

Why not just pump a new load of grease in it and let the old stuff get squeezed out by the new?

Like I said, a few drops of oil will do just as well. I doubt any of us use these things in a war/field environment. 

36 minutes ago, Rekraps said:

Like I said, a few drops of oil will do just as well. I doubt any of us use these things in a war/field environment. 

But that would take care of the leakage from the grease breaking down.

8 hours ago, Doug Quaid said:

This drawing also answers the question as to why there is no grease port or factory grease tool - lubing was done prior to final assembly at the factory.

Given the fragile nature of Thompson L drums in a wartime environment, I guess the projected useful life of a drum was such that any future maintenance would not be required. Basically, throw it away if any issues develop and get a new one.  And/or use box magazines until a new drum can be obtained. 

All good stuff!!!