WH '28 running better.

Got a WH '28 awhile back for a decent price.  KW commemorative version... lightly used so removed the "bling" and it looks GI now.

However it always had some fail to fire issues... tried different mags and many fail to feed/fire issues however drums ran 100% because it fed directly into the chamber.

Step two..got a GM barrel.

Step three... Remove WH barrel....good lord they used three gallons on loctite on that thing.

Installed new GM barrel with NO loctite.  Reassembled...

Grabbed a magazine I knew that had feed issues.

Brrrp.. dumped the mag.  Tried again...no issues.

Need to shoot it some more but I think the GM barrel has fixed my issue.

Also of note... prior to this the gun was properly greased and oiled and ran about 775rpm.

New GM barrel and running it dry I hit 870rpm!

It has a Wolff recoil spring in it as well.

Added pics of the WH barrel next to a USGI barrel. You can see a shelf/corner/angle whatever that was causing my problems.  I have ammo with a sharp crease in the brass from that on the rounds that didn't fully seat/fire.

IMG_20240328_231440.thumb.jpg.c022aff82efbcec0306c32c80211da82.jpg

IMG_20240328_231445.thumb.jpg.0d17a7385dcca48bf71e2963846075bb.jpg

WH barrel on right.  Note sharp corner.

IMG_20240328_165529800_HDR.thumb.jpg.31f3685d29050924db3fdbe502d6f746.jpg

Edited by Jeremy

Jeremy,

Congratulations on changing out the barrel on your West Hurley. WH barrels are known for incorrect chambers. Years ago, SIG changed out my WH barrel and it improved functioning 100%. Yes, gobs of loctite was also present! 

Did you also change out what appears to be a 3/4-inch riveted grip mount common on the WH guns to a 1/2-inch USGI or reproduction milled grip mount? 

22 hours ago, TD. said:

Did you also change out what appears to be a 3/4-inch riveted grip mount common on the WH guns to a 1/2-inch USGI or reproduction milled grip mount? 

Lol no... screwed the GM barrel in turned around and saw the 1/2" bar on the bench.

Said dang....oh well next time maybe.  I already have vertical and horizontal 3/4" fore ends so no worries there.