Thompson Trigger Frame Value

Hey everyone, 

New member here and was recommended to come check this site out.  After 15 years of collecting, I purchased my first full auto, a late war Savage M1A1.  My collection has focused primarily on WW2 snipers and Marine weaponry, but I told myself its now or never.  With the gun is a lot of extras (still awaiting for everything to arrive to my dealer).  There is an extra USGI trigger frame with it that I will have no use for.  Trying to figure out what a good value estimate for it is.  I know pictures will help tremendously and will upload some when it arrives.  Just trying to get a ballpark figure.  Its an earlier frame as it has a serial number applied but does not match the receiver.

My other understanding is that the frame is perfectly legal to mail out because the Class III of the gun is receiver.  Thanks!

Edited by sport10990

Bare trigger frame or complete with internal parts? Every now and then, you will see one on Gunbroker.com - both bare and complete frames which should give you an idea of the market price. Like you, I received an extra USGI bare frame when I purchased my model 1928 TSMG. I finished filling it out with USGI internals as a "spare" and to learn how to disassemble and reassemble it.

Edited by katanafred
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, katanafred said:

Bare trigger frame or complete with internal parts? Every now and then, you will see one on Gunbroker.com - both bare and complete frames which should give you an idea of the market price. Like you, I received an extra USGI bare frame when I purchased my model 1928 TSMG. I finished filling it out with USGI internals as a "spare" and to learn how to disassemble and reassemble it.

I feel like GB always sets an inflated value.  Prices in forums like these or at shows sets a more true market value. 

sport10990,

Welcome to the Thompson community. And the Thompson forum. Congratulations on your "new" Savage M1A1. I am sure it will bring years of fun. 

Your extra M1 frame is worth $500 plus depending on condition and finish. Since the transfer has not taken place, I suggest not being in a hurry to sell off any extra parts until you are certain the Savage M1A1 functions properly with the frame on it now. One frame may fit and work better than the other one. Simple things like a worn magazine catch can make life miserable at the range. 

There are two Thompson associations in the USA: The American Thompson Assocation (TATA) and the Thompson Collector's Assocation (TCA). Both have annual Shows & Shoots in Ohio each year. If you live close enough, you should consider joining one or both and attending these events. This year, the TCA S&S is the last weekend in April; the TATA S&S is the first weekend in August - both on Friday (show) and Saturday (shoot). You will meet many of the Thompson forum members and see more Thompson guns than you have probably ever seen in one place. I guarantee a great time. You do not have to own a Thompson or have a Thompson with you to attend. Loaner guns at the range are usually available for those that bring factory ammunition. These are private events for members only. 

If you have any questions about the show and shoots, feel free to Private Message me or reach out at: tkd5501@fuse.net

TD.  

• Like 2

I am constantly checking the price and availability for the parts in the trigger frame because we need them and use them to complete trigger frames for the blank guns. You cannot buy a set of those parts for less than $200. I just added up my most recent list and it was $283. This does not include the frame itself. 
    We also make trigger frames and it takes about 3 1/2 hours to machine one from a solid bar 2 1/2” x 2” x 9 5/8”. This does not include the time it takes to engrave the fire control markings. You also have to add in the cost of the steel, the cost of stress relieving, and the cost to black oxide (blue).

CNC machining costs about $90/hr. If you take all of the above into account, you’re looking at not less than $400 to make a trigger frame and if you were to sell it for $500 you’re theoretical profit is only $100 which would put it in the “don’t bother” zone. And if you add $283 for the small parts, if you sold it for $750 your theoretical profit is $67 - even more of a don’t bother. And this example  is for a NEW manufacture frame - an original WW2 frame is worth more.

About a year ago I helped out a guy who had 10 new manufacture frames and the small parts and he wanted me to assemble and blue them so he could sell them. He sold them all for $995 and could have sold more. Again - not original G.I.

So based on all this an original stripped frame is worth at least more than a new mfg. one, and a complete one is worth not less than $995.

I mentioned in a different thread about how a lot of guys are living in the past and their frame of reference is 1980’s $195 complete parts sets. Talk to someone today who was born 15-20 years later and has no memories of that and you will be surprised at what they consider values to be.

One last note - many Thompson parts will never be made again because the cost to set up to make them will never be returned because at best you would sell dozens adding up to hundreds, not hundreds adding up to thousands.

Bob

Edited by reconbob
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, sport10990 said:

Bob, 

Thanks that helps out a lot!

Here’s some recent forum prices for parts kits 

https://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34987-sold-thompson-m1a1-parts-set/#comment-117299

https://weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=97280.0

and one that ended on GB yesterday  

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1044177483

I was not able to access Gunbroker or Weaponsguild. ( Perhaps because I am currently out of the country.) But the lesson - if there is one - to be learned from the Sturmgewehr auction, Is don’t make the same mistake and sell your parts for a fraction of what they are worth. A complete WW2 trigger frame as noted is not worth less than $1000. Just because some guy gave his away doesn’t mean that’s the current value. He also has a complete bolt with cocking handle, buffer pilot, buffer and all those parts are worth not less than $375. A grip mount not worth less than $100, a used buttstock assy with buttplate and swivel worth not less than $50, an M1A1 rear sight worth not less than $30, and a 30-rd mag worth not less than $20. So he sold his parts worth at least $1,575 for $1300. This does not include the cut receiver pieces which would go for what? $200? So he sold $1,775 of parts for $1300. 
   If the guy wants to give his parts away, of course he can do what he wants. But somewhere down the road if some guy who knows nothing posts and instantly sells a complete trigger frame for say, $250, doesn’t mean that’s the going/correct price. It means the guy who sold it sold it too cheap and the guy that bought it was lucky.

Bob

Gunbroker now, over at 4PM  eastern Monday. M1A1 kit GB number  1045902632  Looks nice currently $1125  Not mine

Edited by bug
Time change

4 hours ago, Got Uzi said:

That kit looks like it could have been a pre sample given the markings it had on it. 

Especially since the mag catch dosent match with the park color of the frame 

Edited by signal_4