What is thread diameter and pitch on a BAR or FND barrel?

I know they're the same, but am interested in mounting a flow-through suppressor on them but don't want to cut down and rethread a barrel.  I think TROS can make an adapter to 5/8X24.  Thanks for the Board! BP

The muzzle threads for the 1918 BAR drawing are

.67 +.0015 / -.0000 by 28 THD U.S.F. R.H.

Threading is .6" long from muzzle to shoulder

Not sure about FND or if they changed the thread for the 1918A2

Edited by Mongo

18 hours ago, Mongo said:

The muzzle threads for the 1918 BAR drawing are

.67 +.0015 / -.0000 by 28 THD U.S.F. R.H.

Threading is .6" long from muzzle to shoulder

To be honest, I've never heard of, or seen, a 2/3" ANYTHING, much less tap or die. We just don't think that way here in the USA. LOL My math doesn't come up with a fractional size that makes sense for a tap or die.

Where to I find such a rare beast? I want a thread protector, and my searches have come up empty. The rubber one that came with my rifle seems a little inadequate, but it's now clear to me why that's what they gave me.

V/R Karl, 68coupe

44 minutes ago, 68coupe said:

To be honest, I've never heard of, or seen, a 2/3" ANYTHING, much less tap or die. We just don't think that way here in the USA. LOL My math doesn't come up with a fractional size that makes sense for a tap or die.

Where to I find such a rare beast? I want a thread protector, and my searches have come up empty. The rubber one that came with my rifle seems a little inadequate, but it's now clear to me why that's what they gave me.

V/R Karl, 68coupe

You questioning the great John Moses Browning 😜

I think thread sizes were not nearly as standardized in the early 20th century as they are later so they just went with what looked right? It is a strange size.

2 minutes ago, Mongo said:

You questioning the great John Moses Browning 😜

I think thread sizes were not nearly as standardized in the early 20th century as they are later so they just went with what looked right? It is a strange size.

Who am I to question brilliance? I just need to make a thread protector that will stay put, as they seem to be made of unobtanium. I'm doing good to keep my firearms running, much less invent one that lasts forever. ROFLMAO

Karl, 68coupe

1 hour ago, Howlin Mad said:

Thank you. As they say, that's good enough for gov'ment work. I don't want to bung up the threads on the rifle, and a hair loose is much better than a hair tight. I can use a rubber o-ring to snug it down without fouling the threads. I may even make it out of aluminum to be extra sure. I've found the taps on line at several sources, ranging from $17-$50 (dependent on quality & material, I'm sure).

V/R Karl, 68coupe

I wonder what the thread is on my Swedish Kg m/37 is. I have several thread protectors on 5 or 6 of my barrels and flash hider on my other one.

Colt made the original Swedish BAR guns so I wonder if they are in imperial threaded.spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Mongo

3 hours ago, minimike said:

Thank you! That's a better option than making one myself from scratch. I have emailed them to inquire if they would be interested in making thread protectors. Awaiting reply. I'll keep the board posted. If they do run with it, I'll share with the semi board, as well.

Karl