West Hurley Thompson

railroader

I have just purchased a"like new" West Hurley Thompson, (just starting paper work)

and have heard quite a bit of the pros and cons concerning their quality at various

times of thier production. Mine has a four digit serial number beginning with 2. Would

this be an early or late production model. I have been searching but have been unable

to find any production dates. Would appreciate any info.

• 4 weeks later...
I bought #2127A and #2188A new in 1984. Doenst mean they were mfg then, but they were new in the box then........I have heard tales of these guns cracking the rear of the receiver in a vertical fashion on each side. I got stiffer recoil springs and added a buffer made from the sidewall of an old tire. I also lightenend the bolts by drilling 4 half inch holes through them. My brother has one also, it was used but I dont know his serial #. His device that holds the bolt back on the last round from the stick mags kept catching the bolt at odd times and I had to machine a small amount of matrial off the top of it. I have also changed the terribly stiff springs in the triggers/sears to imitate the '21 Colts. I seem to remember dinking w/the mag catches but I cant remember why. Maybe just a smooth up. So far we have fired many thousand of rounds w/ no problems. Edited by heckinohio

As the owner of several thompsons - by drilling holes in the bolt you are on the way to seeing a cracked upper. Speed bolts are the reason the frame crack. Dont shoot this bolt - replace it ASSP.

If you crack your receiver, letr me know, I'll buy it cheap for paper weights. Really I would. And yes, your speed bolt will break the back off.