Wh Description On Sturmgewehr

THis is how its described for 16 large-

1928 Thompson .45cal, West Hurly, 100% factory original, all numbers match in overall exc. Condition museum quality. Fired very little. Has not seen the light of day for years. finned barrel, cuts compensator. Lyman rear sights, Blish principal locking system, Highly polished stock and fore grip. Marked Auto ordnance corp. West Hurly N.Y. , U.S.A. on reverse side marked U.S. model 1928 Thompson submachine gun caliber .45M1 comes with 2 Auto Ordinance Bridgeport CT factory 30rd magazines, one Seymour Products Co 20 round, and one Auto Ordinance factory "L" drum. which is also in exc. condition. front pistol grip and adj. rear sight,

notice it has to mentions its museum quality ( is that NIB) and the rear sight twice?? I doubt an original Lyman sight on a 28 was a common feature.

I ask in my email to the seller the simple questions-

Referencing the below described weapon can you show me any pics that indicate it has a Lyman rear sight and where it might be marked “U.S. model 1928 Thompson submachine gun caliber .45M1” anywhere upon the receiver. I look forward to seeing this rare WH item.

Caveat--

If its someone here you should know better unless the pic show it all to be the case.

Maybe I'm missing somethng (and if I am, I'm sure someone will point it out to me) but what's wrong with that guy's post?

Is your beef with "museum quailty"? I'd say that finding any TSMG, WH or otherwise in 100% factory condition (or close to it) would be a tough call these days since the newest TSMG is 20 years old.

Or is it the fact that mentioned the rear sight twice? (FWIW, I know of two WH '28s that came directly from WH that did have Lyman adustable sights installed.) At least few WH '28s had a fair number of OEM parts on them as they left the factory...as time progressed and the stockpile of OEM parts diminshed, WH was forced to manufacture more and more of ther own parts.

Or is it the bit about being marked "US Model 1928 Thompson Submachinegun Caliber 45M1" on the left side? The WH '28s were marked this way. Here's a close-up of a WH '28 for sale by John Thedford of Naples, FL:

http://www.nfasales.com/28_HURLEY_5-6_001.jpg

I fail to see anything "creative", false, or even misleading about his post.

Flame away!

the only thing i never liked about the wes-hurleee's you can cut up your hand's just handling the gun...too many sharp edge's.military and colt did not have that problem,including any w2 original m1 or m1a1...

maybe that is why i alway's looked at them as "good shooter's"or good police "rack" gun's... when the local's had to call out the troop's.

and years earlier gun's had lyman's and military part's. and had been marked as such..1928 with the m1..later gun's before the end run in 1985, much worst finish on some. made up later type part's and site's.and no lyman's.and wood that paul bunnion, wink! would not be too proud of. { the luck of the draw}

i owned a few to say the least.........and one compared with a colt, well let's say ww2 manufacture,{special order and serial #6444}

then again that's the market...not too much different then today.. slop it up and get it out.supply and demand.

some part's from some supplier's are great other's marginal...and some outstanding.

i can see by the pic's a normal wes -hurley probably still new..just think around 1941 if somebody found a colt 1921ac like that!!

he could have got around $500.00.. wink! time's change.

have fun. take care,ron

I just found the use of terms like "100% factory original", "all numbers match", "museum quality", "highly polished stock and fore grip" and "Blish principal locking system" creative in describing a WH 28. All presumably accurate but sounds like it was written by the marketing department, not that there is anything wrong with that.

I would descibe my arsenal re-worked mismatched M1 as "Meticulously assembled by highly trained ordnance experts from hand selected USGI parts"

Fellas, granted many WH did have many OEM parts including Lyman ladder sights- but his mentioning of the rear sights twice makes me wonder a little tiny bit about this one-especially without good pics.

My WH is at PK's so I didn't have it here to see the 45M1 aspect, My Colt doesn't so ergo my comment.

Its the Puffery in the ad I found a bit over done. a bunch- Primed to impress no doubt and I understand that but he is making a lot out of the normal standard features of any 1928.... its the hype I can't stand I admit it...

And few WH would ever qualify for a "museum" - Mine was new inthe box 300 rounds ago but it doesn't belong in a museum either, especially given the existence of much finer workmanship in the Colts- but that is among us I realize and many who haven't seen a Thompson could truly belive otherwise- and that is whom this ad was written- seemed to be aimed a fooling someone- something I can just not abide-

Sorry if it upset anyone out there but I will stand by it till I see the pics.

Mark

I still fail to see what is deceptive about the ad, and how it could fool anyone. The seller never impled it was a militray of Colt TSMG. ABout the only thing that might not be true would be his statement about it having a Lyman rear sight, and even as stated above, it is quite possible that it does. As far as what belongs in a museum, I've seen plenty that I didn't hink should be in one (Barbie? a grilled cheese sandwhich with an image of Christ??? empty bullet shells found at Graceland?), but that's not my decison to make. Just like the American Historical Society gold-plated "museum quality" semis...I guess that's deceptive too. The only thing I see that hints at outragousness is your your own perceived outrage that it could be called "museum quality."

Bill-

I am not "outraged" about any of it I think its silly

and I never used the word deceptive- not once never I might if I get a look at the top of that receiver but not yet.

I used the term Puffery- which is the way I see the ad obviously some might not feel that way and you evidently don't- that is cool no biggy chill out.

Fully transferable $16,500 Or Best Offer to high bidder

Now thats the way to sell on the Sturm board right?? A bid??

hahahaha- then, what is the little bump there on the barrel... a sling swivel?? I don't know, mine doesn't have it nor the white lettering either. Must be another OEM feature I don't have.

• 2 weeks later...

This fella emailed me and I finally got him to admit it was NOT an original Lyman sight sorta what I suspected. I understand from him others have told him other atributes of his ads on other boards are incorrect.

He says he is an old fella who just wants to sell the 1928 and a 1927 A-5 before he dies- that is a direct quote. Seems a good sort, at least via email. Told me his best offer was 12K onthe 28 and 3K onthe 1927. I don't know diddly about the 27 but thier owners/sellers seem to place a value on them from 3 to 4 grand. If his story is true and anyone here is looking for a 28 or a 1927 you might give the guy a shout and see if you can buy it from him and make yourself a good deal also at 13 or 14K- I told him its not going to bring the asking price of 16K so you be the judge.

Contact for him is Frank Aleo at figinfo@gmail.com

Mark

OldFALGuy,

Embellished or not, who takes the seller's description without a grain of salt? Pics and price speak the louder. Personal inspection and test fire speak the loudest.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Sven

Norm,

That is exactly what I told him to do with the pistol- and run-

Sevengunner-

I agree with you but 95 out of 100 there is no inspection now with the Internet- and this was a little puffery on his part and it was from not knowing I think, I don't think he is a bad guy- Thing is he did it on several boards and put pictures on gunsammerica with a stock on the pistol !!!

which I told him he needed to remove quickly He probably hasn't. He said he was too old to be interested in learning anything just wanted to sell them- If I didn't already have a WH at PK's spa I would take it and save a grand or two.

Mark