I Want To Buy A Thompson,

My name is Larry, I have been a member of the Smith and Wesson Forum since 2002 posting under the name silvercorvette and when I mentioned getting a Thompson it was suggested I check this place out.

I have wanted a Thompson for over 40 years but living in Long Island NY made it pretty much impossible. I retired from the police force back in 1990 but I didn’t get out of NY till last year. Last year I finally escaped from NY and moved to Anderson SC. I am a little short on money but last Tuesdays election scared me into doing something right away before it may become harder to get them. I want to spend somewhere around $20,000 give or take a couple thousand. Hopefully I can find a nice Colt shooter. I want something nice but not something too nice I won’t want to shoot it. A few months ago I talked to one of the owners of the range I belong to and I got the impression that the local police won’t give me a hard time signing off on the paperwork.

How do I know I am getting a good gun when it may be thousands of miles away, and even if I had it in my hands I would not know what to look for and what to avoid before I lay out what I consider a huge sum of money.

I also read some of the threads on this forum and it looks like most people take out the original parts and replace them with less valuable parts so any advice regarding that would be helpful.

Thank you for reading this

Larry

Anderson SC

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the board and to SC. I highly recommend Henry Graham in Easley, SC for your Class III transfer when you find the right gun. Yes, if you want a Colt and a shooter, buy a 1928A1 parts kit now and swap out parts when you get your Colt.

How do you know if you are getting a good deal?? Hard to say.....It's hard to just say trust the seller, but I've not been burned on the quality of the guns I have bought from reputable gundealers 7 times over...ask for lots of photos, post them on here, get opinions from some of the "Rabid" Colt lovers :lol: before you make the big step....

My name is Larry, I have been a member of the Smith and Wesson Forum since 2002 posting under the name silvercorvette and when I mentioned getting a Thompson it was suggested I check this place out.

I have wanted a Thompson for over 40 years but living in Long Island NY made it pretty much impossible. I retired from the police force back in 1990 but I didn’t get out of NY till last year. Last year I finally escaped from NY and moved to Anderson SC. I am a little short on money but last Tuesdays election scared me into doing something right away before it may become harder to get them. I want to spend somewhere around $20,000 give or take a couple thousand. Hopefully I can find a nice Colt shooter. I want something nice but not something too nice I won’t want to shoot it. A few months ago I talked to one of the owners of the range I belong to and I got the impression that the local police won’t give me a hard time signing off on the paperwork.

How do I know I am getting a good gun when it may be thousands of miles away, and even if I had it in my hands I would not know what to look for and what to avoid before I lay out what I consider a huge sum of money.

I also read some of the threads on this forum and it looks like most people take out the original parts and replace them with less valuable parts so any advice regarding that would be helpful.

Thank you for reading this

Larry

Anderson SC

Larry,

I live in anderson,SC also.

Out going Sheriff Crenshaw is a gun guy from way back probably no problem.

Don't know that much about incomming John Skipper some say he is a really nice guy.

The few times I have talked to him seems kind of uptight to me and his ex-boss was an antigun asswipe.

City Chief is ex-FBI and is suppose to come with attendant hangups on us nuckle(sp?) dragging

hillbillys but may be ok for retired LEO. Skip and Jerry of Skip-J probably more intune than I.

Don't hold your breath till you find even a shooter grade Colt for 20K.

From what I have read a lot of guys are locking up the "originals" and buying West Hurleys to

shoot. these can be found from about 12K up but may need some work to run well, so

factor that in. I've wanted a Thompson all my life but now that we in SC can legally own one

they are way outta my price range.

Good Luck in your quest

Fred

I have talked to a class 3 dealer S&W forum member who lives in TX. He said be expects to get two Colts in soon that he has been waiting for since Sept. One is a Boston PD gun, & one is a Toledo PD gun. The price hasn’t been set but he said somewhere around $25,000. $25,000 is pretty much my upper limit but as any collector of anything knows when you find something that is a very good deal there are always a way of find some extra money or finding a way to make the deal work. He emailed me the pictures that were emailed to him and the quality wasn’t that good, so when he gets the guns he will take better quality pictures and send them to me, and I will post them here. I hope to wind up with one of the guns but I want a back up plan and continue looking for other guns in case the deal falls through

When I get better pictures I will post them

Boston PD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/silvercorvette/Bostongun.jpg

Toledo PD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/silvercorvette/toledogun.jpg

Edited by silvercorvettefromsawforum

You'll of course be spending some serious money for any gun worth having. I'd strongly suggest that you travel to personally to inspect any gun that you are seriously considering. I'm certain that most sellers will offer at least a three day inspection on your end, but by that time, you've already completed the Federal transfer process, waited your six weeks or so, and paid the required fees. You also own the gun as it's been fully paid for. To return it, you'd have to reverse the entire process.

I've enjoyed traveling over the years to inspect prospective purchases. You meet some great people, and you'll find that optimized descriptions and flattering photos can be art forms! There's just no substitute for a hands on inspection.

I had thought about that, when I was in NY I flew to Boise Idaho to look at the 1962 Corvette I was going to but. The gun will wind up in TX and I live in TX for a short while before I wound up here so it will be nice to go back and visit TX. But the problem is I have spent so much time traveling all over the place looking for a place to move to, plus I have been back and forth to NY about a dozen times in the years since I moved to SC so I am kind of traveled out. I am so sick of traveling I am not going to travel back to NY to visit for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Plus I just got a puppy a few months ago which makes it a little harder to travel. The dog has made 8 car trips between NY and SC since I got him.

The people on the S&W forum are a good bunch of people and for the most part very honest so I probably trust someone that has been a long time member of the S&W forum more than I would trust some other person I haven’t met in person. Maybe I can get someone to watch my dog for a day and hop on a plane and return the same day like I did when I bought the Corvette it probably won't cost much more than $300 or $400 plus car rental.

Maybe I will get lucky and find something closer to SC before the gun arrives in TX. 25K is a lot of money to put up for a gun I haven’t even touched so one part of me wants to follow your advice, but I am just too traveled out and really need a break from traveling.

i spoke to Jerry last night at Recon Ord.he said the market is crap right now and can hook you up with a nice Colt for $20,000.00 that he has in stock. so pop him a call 920-922-1515.you can trust him the gun will be what he says it is.stuff is out there. and not at lasts year's or two years ago price's. i give a darn what other dealers say. the m.g. gun economy is down.....so don't pay anymore then what you might feel is right.even consider a military for less money. and Hurley's can be gotten for $10,000.00 i just passed on a few.also attend the s.a.r show in phx if you can make it with moolah in hand. CASH will talk at that show.and if they don't take a offer. then they take it home. alot of guys will still own alot of iron in 2009...and in my book thats not a good place to be.{ you only need a few items to protect family, honor, and the american way of life}

and on the ammo issue. never worry, if it gets that bad. you can take it from the dead.they won't be using it.

that is my effort to calm the wackjob masses,that feel we are in for anarchy!or whatever they may call it.wink!

Ron

Ammo isn't a problem, I have plenty of rounds of all kind of stuff, I only have a few thousand of .45 ACP but I have plenty of brass, primers, bullets and powder. Plus Dillon 650 that is sitting in my new garage collecting dust because I haven't unpacked it in the year I have moved into my house in SC. I am going to make that call right now.

Call made I left message on answering machine

If you are only going to shoot it once or twice a year then sure, get a Colt, but if you plan on taking it to the range and doing a few dumps with 50 and 100 round drums then you may want to opt for a 1928 A1 model instead of a Colt.

This will leave funds available to purchase plenty of 50 and 100 round drums, stick mags and ammo.

Now, if you really not picky I have seen some West Hurley Thompsons going for about 12K and would leave you with plenty of cash afterwards.

Just my 2 cents.

I spent an hour on the phone with Jerry and it looks like I will be sending in a very large deposit check tomorrow. The only thing that concerns me is he doesn't do pictures, he said he doesn't ven own a camera. I am tempted to fly out and look at it but the gun is returnable so the cost of returning the gun if it doesn't turn out to be as described would be less than the cost and time of me flying out. I am going to trust the recomendation and reputation and go ahead with obtaining the gun. Does anyone on this forum live near his place of business? I would feel a lot better if someone could drive over and take a look at the gun.

Larry

I live a couple of hours from Jerry and have done business with him. My second NFA purchase was from Jerry before I became a dealer. Good guy and and I talk to him often. I always have questions he seems to have the answers. Anyway you can trust what he states as the condition of the gun. If it is the gun I think it is I have seen it first hand. PM me if you want

Later Joe

Stockpiling ammo may be a thing of the past if they pass that ammo ID law. One of the sections of it states that any and all un-marked ammo in civilian hands must be disposed of by Jan. 1, 2012....
What about the thousand or maybe hundreds of thousands of us that do or own reloading?

I am assuming they will state you can only reload X number of rounds. That is of course provided they don't somehow ban the reloading components like selling jugs of gun powder.

This is kind of OT, but relavant to the last couple of posts.

If you have ANYONE at all that you know in GA, please urge them to vote for the Republican in the Dec. 2 runoff. This may be the only chance to keep the Senate from being fillibuster-proof.

Things are looking very bleak if our new Marxist/communist commander in chief starts doing what all think he will do.

If we don't start working right now on future conservatives getting back into Congress, this country will be pretty much done as a free Republic/democracy.

I don't like to be negative, but things are probably going to happen quite quickly.

Look for possible Executive Orders that don't have to go before Congress.

What also concerns me is that if our new leader is effective in any way at solving the economic crises, he may feel drunk with power and have such a big following that he and the Dems can pass any and all of the anti-gun stuff he wishes to see implemented.

I hope I am terribly wrong...

Maybe I will get lucky and find something closer to SC before the gun arrives in TX. 25K is a lot of money to put up for a gun I haven’t even touched so one part of me wants to follow your advice, but I am just too traveled out and really need a break from traveling.

I hear you, brother, but when there's this much money involved, it becomes a business trip, and therefore necessary!

Edited by TSMGguy

Well on the news last night the Brady group has already started issueing statements on how things are going to be !

They said citizens who do not break the law have nothing to fear. It is a matter of can we have anything without being outlaws !

I think it will be a matter sticking your head in the sand in shame when they make us all outlaws and come to collect our arms, or telling them HELL NO we will not be your enslaved subjects. Remember those who surrender their freedom for security soon have neither.

I could be wrong, just my .02 of the writing on the wall.

i spoke to Jerry last night at Recon Ord.he said the market is crap right now and can hook you up with a nice Colt for $20,000.00 that he has in stock. so pop him a call 920-922-1515.you can trust him the gun will be what he says it is.stuff is out there. and not at lasts year's or two years ago price's. i give a darn what other dealers say. the m.g. gun economy is down.....so don't pay anymore then what you might feel is right.even consider a military for less money. and Hurley's can be gotten for $10,000.00 i just passed on a few.also attend the s.a.r show in phx if you can make it with moolah in hand. CASH will talk at that show.and if they don't take a offer. then they take it home. alot of guys will still own alot of iron in 2009...and in my book thats not a good place to be.{ you only need a few items to protect family, honor, and the american way of life}

and on the ammo issue. never worry, if it gets that bad. you can take it from the dead.they won't be using it.

that is my effort to calm the wackjob masses,that feel we are in for anarchy!or whatever they may call it.wink!

Ron

Here is an update along with a thank you for all your help.

I think I almost own a (Colt) Thompson.

I got in contact with Jerry at recon Ord the same day or a day (I am pretty sure it was Monday) after colt21a made the suggestion to get in touch with him. Jerry said he does not believe in pictures and does not own a camera. He had three guns one of which was described to be in excellent condition. I didn't feel comfortable doing business under those conditions but I checked around and he does have a good reputation so I sent in a deposit for over 1/2 the cost of the gun. I got in touch with someone from the S&W forum that is close by and he was able to look at the gun for me. He isn't a Thompson expert but he did verify that the gun is excellent condition appearance wise, excellent bore etc. He took some pictures of the gun and I will post them here when I get them but as far as I am concerned I am getting this gun as soon as I can get up the rest of the money. I just hope it doesn't take too long to get my paperwork processed.

I haven't been feeling that well, I retired on a disability pension and have spent most of my time in bed the past couple weeks but I hope I will be feeling better when the gun arrives but I have a feeling I will shoot it even if i feel like crap. Lets face it I Have waited over 40 years for this so I am not going to let anything stop me from shooting it.