1921 Rear Grip

Any excuse to play with 'my toys', as the wife calls them.

This morning I took some pictures of the pistol grips, side by side, of my 3 digit 1921, Savage 1928 SN 18344 and 'TOMMY GUN' Stamped US19218A1 SN 162650.

The only grip which appears to have any markings is the US1928A1, which has an 'S' stamped in the area usually hidden, when attached to the trigger frame.

P1110900.JPG

1921 is on the left, Savage1928 centre and US1928A1 on the right, the US1928A1 looks 'larger' than the 1921 and the Savage 1928.

P1110899.JPG

P1110905.JPG

Below are some other photos showing the 1921 (left) next to the US1928A1 (right).

P1110901.JPG

P1110902.JPG

P1110903.JPG

P1110904.JPG

In my files I have the comparison photos below, showing the difference between an early Savage 1928 and Savage US1928A1. I am sure these two photos were downloaded from this forum in the past, so I hope the member who originally posted them, does not mind me adding them to this reply.

Pistl Grip Details.jpg

Pistol Grip 1.jpg

You can see the same differences on my 1928 and US1928A1 in the 'threesome' pictures above, although there is no 'S' stamp on my Savage 1928.

I hope these photos are of some help to you.

Stay safe

Richard

Richard the M (strombeck-becker) mark on your 1928 grip could just be no longer visible!? The Savage grips I've seen tend to be a wider flatter grip as shown in your picture, all the strombeck-becker grips I've seen tend to be a smaller more rounded grip like the 1928 and 1921 shown in your picture, I thought all savage and AO guns had grips and stocks made by savage, strombeck-becker or Dittenborn, if I'm wrong please correct me

Thanks alot!! wow these look beautiful!! i would like to have these toys. how were they making this thick dark color?

by the way, question is, i have met today a guy which in his collection have a 1928a1, and straight away i noted his rear grip. it looks much different and more beautiful in terms of design and size compared to standard 1928a1 grips (who

looks more a similar to rocks than grips imho) and feels alot different when handled. Is this coming from a 1921?? he swear it was with the gun when he bought it. Well, cause if its from a 1921 im gonna make him a offer he cannot refuse :happy: :happy:

My phone is camera its literally on its way to the cementery sorry for bad quality picture.

P.s

the bottom screw cavity seems like slightly smaller and the bolt head wont fit unless really forced. (maybe too precise for 1928a1 bolts?!)

http://i63.tinypic.com/6fz7s6.jpg

Edited by Joseph_T

The horizontal travel of the wood at the base of the trigger guard is typical of the Colt grip. I have never seen one that pronounced and obvious before. I do see variations of this feature in photos but I'm sure lighting and photo angle can vary the effect. I hope Gijive, our resident Gripologist, weighs in here.

Bob D

Edited by bug

Yes the picture it is a bit distorting the view of the item in reality, its not actually that straight, this saturday i should be back at north so i can take some more pictures.. and if we get an approval that this is a 1921 grip i will try to buy it aswell.

As far as color, for any Thompson or other ww2 gun stocks/grips; it is all dependant on the usage and the particular piece of wood. Usually if it had a lot of use, they tend to darken with age. Manufacturers didn't waste time staining. Most were just dipped in linseed oil and shipped out. Obviously Colt spent more time with their wood furniture as it usually has a nice lustre.

Usually it is not too difficult to spot a Colt grip. You can see that the back and front edges of the grips are parallel vs the curving contours of a ww2 produced grip.

Andrew

Here are some pictures of various grips, including the tell-tale way to spot a Colt grip immediately. All Colt grips I have ever seen share the same unique characteristic.

Colt Grip Ser # 12074.jpg

Notice Colt grip meets the bottom rear corner of the trigger guard, starts straight back before curving downward at approximately a 45-degree angle.

Early Colt Grip.jpg

Early Colt grip, notice the smaller size.

Later Colt Grip.jpg

Later Colt Grip.

Dittenborn Grip-2.jpg

WWII Dittenborn Grip, notice where the grip meets the bottom corner of the trigger guard and curves downward immediately.

Dittenborn Grip.jpg

Dittenborn mark.

Savage Grip.jpg

WWII Savage Grip, same characteristics as described on Dittenborn grip.

Savage Mark.jpg

Savage mark.

Strombeck-Becker Grip.jpg

WWII Strombeck-Becker Grip, exhibits the same characteristic as other WWII grips.

Strombeck-Becker Mark.jpg

Strombeck-Becker "M" mark.

I didn't have an early Savage grip to photograph, but they tend to be smaller than the later Savage grips. Hope this helps distinguish a Colt grip from a WWII grip.

Edited by gijive

Hi Ross,

I have a couple of Savage marked grips, but they seem to be the later fatter style. I don't have a really early one. I believe they also changed the position of the "S" stamp from the early ones to the later ones. If you have one you want to send, I'd be happy to photograph it and post it. I'll return it to you promptly. Send me a PM and I'll send my address.

middle one is early S...notice the placement of the S and the larger font

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/sandman%20S1928%20grip-middle%20one%20is%20real_zpsfvsqq0lj.jpg

here's a side profile of mine...mine has the correct off center/larger S stamp

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/DSCN3928_zps3xuie4x4.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n531/waukeshaplumbing/DSCN3929_zpsd4vm7yky.jpg

Edited by huggytree

Huggy,

Thanks for the additional photos. That's a good photographic example of what I was referring to on the WWII grips. The grip meets the bottom rear of the trigger guard and goes straight down at 45-degree angle. No vertical line straight back for an eighth to a quarter of an inch before making 45-degree turn downward.

gijive, you will find some pictures in a private message.

Here is the one I consider a smaller Savage grip. It is on the left in the group photo.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/TW56/Savage%201928%20grips/fullsizeoutput_1a9d.jpeg

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g374/TW56/Savage%201928%20grips/fullsizeoutput_1a98.jpeg

Edited by Bridgeport28A1