Model of "L" Drum?

I have a friend who was given an L Drum by his father or grandfather. I asked him for some pictures so I could identify it and get an idea as to value. This forum seems just the place. From what I gather, it appears to be a "1st Gen Worcester Pressed Steel drum" (TUTB), or shown in the Drum Magazine Guide on this forum as a "3rd Model New York Drum". Maybe they're the same thing. The detail of the lettering (such as the comma between "N.Y." and "U.S.A." and the clipped "A" in "PATENTED") along with other items drives me towards that model. The winding key has "301" stamped on it, though what that may mean I don't know (Originally on Drum No. 301?).

There are a lot smarter people than I on this Board (nearly everyone) so I was hoping for some confirmation as to what my friend has. Value maybe?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Doug

L Drum Back Cover 3.jpgL Drum Front 2.jpgL Drum Front Plate 4.jpgL Drum Base Interior 1.jpgL Drum Rear Plate 2.jpg

Hello,

Yes, you are correct, it is a a 1 Generation Worcester Pressed Steel Drum, circa 1928/1929. Sometimes collectors refer to it as a 3rd Generation Colt Drum, same drum either way. The drum you picture needs some attention, e.g., ooil and maybe a slight dent in the cover. Is it for sale? PM sent.

DFisch,

My best guess on the 301 stamped on the key is that it was used by some police/sheriff office to link the drum to a gun, or just as an inventory code. It was definitely added after production, and is not connected to the earlier numbered drums.

Chopper is right on. Ive seen them go for $2,000 but that might be a bit much today. $1,500 should be the low end.

Maybe $2,000.00 in excellent condition. In my opinion, the rust issues on the pictured drum don't warrant even a $1,500.00 price tag. I would rate the drum as fair to good condition. I guess we will find out if the drum turns out to be for sale and someone offers $2,000.00 for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I ended up buying the L Drum from my friend so now I'm wondering what amount of "restoration" is typical/desired. There are a couple of dents in the cover and discoloration of the rotor. I've only cleaned the oily dirt from the inside using gun oil and rags, but no solvent yet. I'm not sure if I want to fix it up too much since I sort of like the look of the patina from its life of use. My friend thinks the drum may have been used in a prison decades ago when his G-father worked in one.

I didn't want to try solvent yet since I can't "un-use" it if it defaces the rotor. I'm not too worried about the body and cover as they have the normal finish that solvent shouldn't hurt.

The drum seems quite sturdy compared to the Taiwan repro drum I have.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

d

IMG_5164.jpg

IMG_5165.jpg

L Drum Base Interior 1.jpg

Also - Am I correct in thinking it is fine for use? Should I grease it like I did the repro L-drum, just to make sure it has proper lubrication? This may sound kinda silly, but since I don't have a gun to use them in yet, would someone at the TCA shoot in September be willing to try out this and my repro drum to make sure they function correctly? And no, this isn't a trick question (though I'm sure it sounds like one); I'd feel better knowing they work.

d

Edited by DFisch

Doug, my gun is available as well.

I also could easily rectify your no gun issue... that drum would look good on #6781. I will have it there...