Anyone here collect these? any actual known makers?

Being I'm in PA , I can OWN but can't POSSESS . ( i cant have one on my person outside my property)

Been wanting a set to add to the collection BUT all Im finding at the antique shops are rusty knuckles. I'm starting to think "brass knuckles " was just a catch phrase.

I have a set of brass knuckles that are made of aluminum instead of brass. The only markings are "NYPD". They look more like a souvenir then official issue.

I've never heard of anyone collecting these, probably is tho- I had a brass pair years ago, it had The Edge etched on the palm side. Don't know why I had them, maybe by default with the other outlaw stuff.

I remember they were big !

OCM

i got one today. needs cleaned up . $35 locally.

my fingers barely fit in the damn thing ( i can palm a basketball so that probly dont help) the rear portion that sits in your hand did have old blood on it , who knows - place got it in a big estate auction.

I'll clean it up, polish it a little and toss it in the "weird" curio cabinet.

Edited by StooperZero

There are some people that collect them as there is a book on them. Out of print and hard to find as I recall but I looked into it at one time.

I also have an aluminum one. It's lightweight but I guess it was the real deal.

Ron

My retired Sheriff pal said the police used to carry brass knucks, and use them. They would break a guy's jaw. Back in the day, when you could use them.

I found these at a flea market over 40 years ago. They fit my large hand perfectly. No Mfg markings, just NYPD.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/timkel24102410/stuff/knuckles001_zpspzghxmv9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/timkel24102410/stuff/knuckles002_zpsoydu2pbc.jpg

i have seen two at a local personal property / estate auction in the last five years. they were cast iron and black rather than "brass." a pair went for $50+ and another went for $10 or so. just depended who was there bidding. i got the cheaper ones. i see them a flea market (new reproductions) as belt buckles and outfitted with spikes every year here in VA. the only authentic brass set that I have i got in Tijuana back in 1992 when my buddy and i walked over the border and shopped as 15 year olds and then walked back into the US..."oh, you are Americans, you don't have to go through the metal detector," said customs agents.

usually most repros have a "made in china/pakistan" sticker.

Seriously though, you can tell . if it looks like time has gotten ahold of it VS looking squeaky clean then more than likely it's original .

Edited by StooperZero

• 3 weeks later...

R/R,

Please post, we'd all enjoy seeing them.

Darryl

they busted a kid with a pile of weed in his car this morning............. guess what was in his backpack along with cash and prescription meds???

Brass knuckles, along with the charges for drugs he was pushing, he get's the 'prohibited offensive weapon' charge to boot :D

last year 2 meth heads were duking it out in a parking lot locally, cops showed up and had a tazer party. both the dirtbags were wearing brass knuckles.

I'm still working on the set i got, trying to polish them up.