Form 4 Transfer Time

Stampcollector

Got approval on my Colt 27's today. 6 months - 9 days from time check cashed. . Considerably faster than previous transfers.

my last trust was 7 months exactly delivered to my door....my latest stamp has not been approved yet and its a week past 7 months.....i see on NFA tracker they are a month further ahead for some people...some trusts are down to 6-6.5 months...

im usually right with the NFA tracker curve...not this time

Got 2 batches in this week, one just under 7 months, the other 14 months. Have a couple I'm told will be cleared next week...about 6+ months. Still have one out 17 months and others at 10 months and counting. The one thing you can count on is lack of consistency, much of which is not often the fault of the examiners. 1-2 months for a background check from FBI, supposed errors in original registrations, and I've missed a few things on forms. One examiner is very proactive and got on them, another won't return phone calls? Multi state transactions and different forms yield wildly different results, 3-5 examiners. Some C+R guns direct, others not, and through a different SOT (but I do all the forms and correspondence, so no loose ends) . All to entities. NFA tracker is completely meaningless. HTH

both of my newest purchases are guns and that not been transferred in probably 10-20 years+.....the Sterling tube may be 20-30 years since last transfer

i wondered if that would effect the transfer time...all my other guns had been transferred over and over again in a 5-10 year period before i got them

also both are local form 4 direct to my trust...no dealer....not sure what that does either?

Edited by huggytree

That would be interesting to know how recent an item transferred, if it plays a part in how long the paperwork takes. I would assume those like yours Huggytree that you mention that were last transferred without computers will take more time digging up the records before even beginning the normal process

They seem to be fully vetting everything going to non-SOT's. If it goes to an SOT they seem to pass it through even if it's incorrect information. Of the last 8 that needed corrections all had been recently transferred to the SOT without any corrections, then when they came to me, the corrections suddenly became an issue. It's likely they figure if the gun becomes an issue it's always available for inspection at an SOT's location on demand. Once it goes to an individual, it may be decades before it can be seen/inspected again.

IIRC Doug did not release the sterling tubes until the early 2000's in two or so separate batch offerings and that seems to be when Rick bought them and got into it? Recon bought significantly more (at least double from memory), had the Andrewski's build them and sold out years ago. Form 4's to an individual from another individual take about the same time as from a dealer. Prioritization is given to SOT's regardless of the form.

Rick wont tell me how many he has or how many builds he has...curious how many more he has

when the record is just a tube and now its registered as a gun with dimensions id assume there is more to the process....id think they would ask rick for the info?

ive always been with or ahead of the curve...and on this sterling im a bit behind....guess ill find out if there's a reason or not

the tubes were not cheap, he could only afford so many and has not done nearly as many builds as the Andrewski's simply due to finances. I think John did more builds in a good year than Rick has done in 15 years. The guns were effectively registered with the specs of a complete gun, not the dimensions of the tube, none of which is particularly relevant in the registration process unless someone questions it and requests actual dimensions. For what DLO was getting for tubes, you could get a STEN cheaper and have it converted which is why that was a popular option for those that did not want to be held hostage to the random release of tubes from DLO. I opted for sten tubes personally for a number of reasons, but mainly cost and availability.

Form 4 individual update. Just called the ATF and check was cashed 10/24/17 and form 4 approved 4/18/18. Just waiting to hear that the form and stamp have arrived to my dealer, which she said could take up to 30 days from approval. Times arent too bad right now!

Vinny, hope that helps with your October submission as well.

-Andrew

congrats.....i noticed a strong slowdown at the end of last year of buyers...seemed like nothing was selling....so im going to guess were going to see a dramatic catch up in the next month or so....hoping to be into 2018 in a month or so....nfa tracker on trusts seems to show this.....individuals is a flat line at this point