Hollywood Thompson Blanks In Fall 2011 GCA Journal Article

Chuck,

One of the original Star Trek episodes (a piece of the action) had a good Thompson presence. They may have been dummies but they sure looked good. There was also a very nice display of guns in the office of one of the bad guys. Any ideas?

BTW, that was really a great series of posts.

Bob D

Saw "Remagen" in it's original theatrical release. The German officer in charge of saving the bridge was played by

Robert "Napoleon Solo" Vaughn -there's another iconic hollywood gun creation: TV guide had an article devoted to "The gun from U.N.C.L.E."; (don't remember the issue date, but it had a caricature of Jackie Gleason on the cover) -imagine that happening today.

Will have to get the DVD and listen.

Edited by mnshooter

Chuck,

I just finished watching the episode "The Walking Wounded" and saw something I'd never seen before. In the scene where Saunders is about to shoot the Germans pushing the Ambulance out of the mud his Thompson has the plain stamped Lyman peep sight. I never saw that on one of his Thompsons before.... :)

Edited by Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye Joe,

Yeah, that gun shows up a couple of times in the 1st Season. Jeffrey Hunter as Sgt. Dane carries that gun in "Lost Sheep, Lost Shepherd." Saunders uses it in the shooting scene in "Walking Wounded.". I believe that to be one of the two MGM Thompsons that were purchased and sold by J Curtis Earl in the 1970's. One of the MGM guns was a late model 1928A1 with the Lyman L sight. The other had a Lyman adjustable sight and may have been a Colt gun.

Good eye, that's why they call you Hawkeye!

Edited by gijive
  • Upvote 1

Chuck,

What do you think about the interview with Rick Jason where he says that Vic got the Thompson because he(Rick) didn't want to lug around all that weight for three years, and that Vic complained about how much it weighed and the production company made him a wooden one for when he wasn't in a shooting scene?

Chuck,

What do you think about the interview with Rick Jason where he says that Vic got the Thompson because he(Rick) didn't want to lug around all that weight for three years, and that Vic complained about how much it weighed and the production company made him a wooden one for when he wasn't in a shooting scene?

Hawkeye Joe,

Having met Rick Jason on a couple of occasions, that was one of his favorite anecdotes that he would repeat often. I don't doubt that there is some veracity to his story, in fact an early TV Guide Fall Preview edition has a publicity picture of Rick Jason and Vic Morrow both holding Thompsons. I have the picture somewhere and will post it later.

Regarding the wooden Thompson, as I said in one of the first posts in this thread, I don't doubt it's existence, however, aside from being possibly used in long shots, all the scenes in the series, including non-shooting scenes, seem to use a real gun. I believe there was a non-firing real gun that he caried (for safety reasons) and when the firing scenes were required he switches to a functioning blank shooting gun. In the earlier episodes, especially, he has a gun with a normal compensator (opening) and in the shooting scenes he has one of the guns with the oversize hole in the compensator. Later in the 4th and 5th Seasons he actually shoots a gun with a normal size muzzle opening. The guns were rented on as as needed basis, so whatever Stembridge had during a particular Season was used.

Chuck,

One of the original Star Trek episodes (a piece of the action) had a good Thompson presence. They may have been dummies but they sure looked good. There was also a very nice display of guns in the office of one of the bad guys. Any ideas?

BTW, that was really a great series of posts.

Bob D

Bob,

I wasn't a Trekkie, but I have seen pictures from the episode you describe. Most everyone in televsion and film rented their Thompsons from Stembridge back then. The following screen captues indicate that the guns used on Star Trek were from Stembridge. Note large opening compensators and you can see the flattened barrel fins on the second picture of the two gangsters. Hope this brings back memories to the Trekkie's out there.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp227/Colt1928/Combat%20DVD%20Captures/Kirk_offers_a_piece_of_the_action.jpg

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp227/Colt1928/Combat%20DVD%20Captures/Gangsters_with_heaters.jpg

• Upvote 1

This is a great post and Combat is he reason that I wanted a Thompson as soon as i turned 21.

I cant even imagine how many miles I crawled with my friends killing Krauts and eating C Rations bought at the surplus store when I was a kid. I carried a thommy burst Thompson then. Several years ago I bought one of the leather Thompson holsters that mounted on jeeps and harleys used in filming Combat.

This thread brings alot of memories to life. I did buy all the episodes of all the years of Combat and watch them on the plane as I travel the US.

Edited by cavediver

• 8 years later...
Just wanted to resurrect this great topic thread. I had the pleasure of going to Franklin Canyon in 2014, complete with map courtesy of Marty Black and GIJive. Had a ball walking all around. There was nobody else there when I visited. Of course I crawled through the culvert!

• 3 weeks later...

I hike with my daughters there regularly, they loved visiting the American Horror sets that were standing for some time.

I grew up in the wrong country to watch Combat, but, have seen it since becoming an American.

Great thread.

BTW The permit process for filming with heavy gun-fire is totally debilitating in Los Angeles county these days.

I dealt with Stembridge when I first came to LA, then Ellis, then Gibbons and now ISS, primarily, sometimes Mike Tristano.

There used to be a lot of indie armourers, almost impossible to get a CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit, now with only a handful of cats permitted for FA.

Much easier filming action in the red-states.

Anyway, great thread very interesting thanks for taking the time to arrange and post it so well.