My First Thompson

What Arthur says is correct - if a replacement barrel was necessary. If a replacement barrel was not necessary, then the compensator and installation was only $25. Auto-Ordnance did not distinguish between the what we call the Type 1 and Type 2 compensators. Other than the U.S. Marine Corps (because of the number of guns purchased), I doubt any customer even knew there were two different compensators. There is also little doubt some police department Thompson gun barrels were bulged or ringed during use and sent back to Auto-Ordnance for a barrel replacement and at times, the compensator option. Replacement barrels were priced with the front sight at $27.50. Of course, the front sight would not be needed if a compensator were to be installed.

A better question might be who made replacement barrels for Auto-Ordnance during the Colt's era?

All Model of 1921 Colt's were manufactured without compensators. The compensator became a factory option years later. Purists have howled about how the barrels (and Thompson gun) are not original when a compensator is installed. Perhaps, but it was all done by or on behalf of Auto-Ordnance Corporation while at the Colt's plant in Hartford. I guess one could also say the same thing about the Model of 1927 and Model of 1928 NAVY Thompsons. Interestingly, these models with or without compensators, seem to be accepted as original.

TD and Arthur,

Surely this means that Colt threaded the "good" (acceptable) original barrels without removing them by using a fixture to spin the complete upper receiver/barrel assembly on the lathe.

It wouldn't be hard to make.

Nowadays you can still thread your barrel for $15. I guess lots of guys do...Phil

https://www.ebay.com/itm/578-x28-Threading-Alignment-Tool-TAT-Die-Starter-for-45-Cal-Gunsmithing-/151312083059

TAT.jpg

Edited by anjong-ni

Cool post and super nice gun and accessories. Over my career, I dealt with so many dirty chiefs, city managers, human resource directors, and mayors. Got a couple chiefs fired and one de-certified (should have been two or three, but can't win them all). Some chiefs are good, but overall no real requirements for becoming chief besides politics or being friends/favorites with the city manager or mayor. The ego possessed by so many aspiring to such positions of power make them a narcissistic lot who think they are above the rules. Do the right thing and you're out on your arse. Human resource directors, mayors, and city managers are the same way. Most of them belong in jail/prison. Boardwalk Empire is alive and well even in this day and age. Edited by Waffen Und Bier

TD and Arthur,

Surely this means that Colt threaded the "good" (acceptable) original barrels without removing them by using a fixture to spin the complete upper receiver/barrel assembly on the lathe.

That is the question that was still up in the air in the 2016 thread below. Unless Chuck got a response from the Fenn Company describing what their device looked like and how it was used all we have is the November, 1927 letter to Colonel Cutts. It sounds as if the Fenn Manufacturing Company was performing this service at their own place of business in Hartford of attaching the Cutts to the barrels for AOC and charging them accordingly. One thing the letter confirmed is that Colt was not the one tasked with this time consuming and cost prohibitive operation.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?s=13b3c7112f6456463f96e6423e211ab0&showtopic=19474&hl=%20second%20%20type%20%20cutts%20%20and%20%20barrel&page=3

TD and Arthur,

That is the question that was still up in the air in the 2016 thread below. Unless Chuck got a response from the Fenn Company describing what their device looked like and how it was used all we have is the November, 1927 letter to Colonel Cutts. It sounds as if the Fenn Manufacturing Company was performing this service at their own place of business in Hartford of attaching the Cutts to the barrels for AOC and charging them accordingly. One thing the letter confirmed is that Colt was not the one tasked with this time consuming and cost prohibitive operation.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?s=13b3c7112f6456463f96e6423e211ab0&showtopic=19474&hl=%20second%20%20type%20%20cutts%20%20and%20%20barrel&page=3

Arthur,

Two attempts at contacting Fenn and sending information and photos to their research assistant did not produce any results. I was speaking with Tracie Hill about this recently and maybe I will make one more attempt? I'll keep the Board updated.

• 2 weeks later...

The Fenn Manufacturing Company was 1.5 miles from Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company. If you have a Colt TSMG with first pattern (maybe even type II) Cutts Compensator it is likely beginning in 1927 (to end date ?) it was transported from AOC's storage facility at Colt to 405 Broad Street for installation.

Fenn building 1936(?)

post-110-0-77500100-1588116148_thumb.jpg

View from Colt dome of Capitol Building Hartford. Fenn plant is behind it.

post-110-0-66796600-1588116243_thumb.jpg

How the Capitol Building with Fenn plant behind it looked in the 1920's.

post-110-0-00649800-1588116398_thumb.png

How Broad Street behind Capitol Building appears decades later.

post-110-0-54676800-1588116420_thumb.jpg

Welcome aboard from another relative newbie. Thank you for sharing the TSMG pics and all the info too from the others also, very nice piece Sir. This is a great place for you and others on the forum as they have been a great help to me, you will find the same is true.

TomIII

• Upvote 1