First Full Auto - And Serial Question

Been on this board on and off for many years. I purchased my first Semi-auto Thompson in 1999

Today I picked up my first full auto. Took about 6 months

I have rummaged around the internet looking for information about my gun. The serial number is very low

I have a Bridgeport, Savage made M1. The serial number is only 3 digits. While I bought this on the internet (Spiwak) and the serial number was listed there, I don't like posting it online . I feel safe stating it is somewhere in the 800 range .

How can I find something out about this gun?

Welcome to the wonderful world of full auto ownership! I hope you'll be able to stop at one, if that's your plan. I couldn't!

All 601 of the WH M1s have an "A" serial number suffix. None ran as high as 800. I've seen four digit Bridgeport M1 serial numbers, but never one with three digits, which doesn't mean that some were not made. Photos would be very useful.

I bought the gun through David Spiwak. It is already in my safe for the night, but I will try to post some pics soon. I also HOPE this will be my only full auto. It is exactly the gun I have been wanting for decades. Nice parkerized finish, pretty good wood.. shooter not a wall hanger.

It was posted on Spiwak site as follows, our guess is that it was deactivated in the past with a plugged barrel and Uhrick reactivated it:

Item #8xx: Thompson M1 (Bridgeport) registered by John Urick. His stamp is under the rear sight. The rear sight has had two of the weak rivets replaced with tiny allen screws. Low serial number 8xxThe gun is Savage manufacture and in excellent condition with nice original finish and wood. Excellent bore

Edited by LongRifle

I bought the gun through David Spiwak. It is already in my safe for the night, but I will try to post some pics soon. I also HOPE this will be my only full auto. It is exactly the gun I have been wanting for decades. Nice parkerized finish, pretty good wood.. shooter not a wall hanger.

It was posted on Spiwak site as follows, our guess is that it was deactivated in the past with a plugged barrel and Uhrick reactivated it:

Item #8xx: Thompson M1 (Bridgeport) registered by John Urick. His stamp is under the rear sight. The rear sight has had two of the weak rivets replaced with tiny allen screws. Low serial number 8xxThe gun is Savage manufacture and in excellent condition with nice original finish and wood. Excellent bore

You know your class III gun is the most secure gun you have in your safe. I know the urban legend is that people will get your serial number then claim ownership. I have never ever heard of one case of this happening on any firearm. But there is no way anyone can claim ownership of that gun. It cannot be a stolen firearm for obvious reasons and I don't think there is a scam artist available that can forge paperwork and somehow get it into the ATF record system. But that is jmvho....

Edited by Z3BigDaddy

Congrats on the Thompson! Welcome to the great world of Thompson enthusiasts. I bought my first Thompson in 1986 (West Hurley) and stayed "single" (only one NFA) for 20 years... In 2006 a Wilson MP40 came along followed by a Smith and Wesson 76, a STEN MkII, then a BAR in 2009, another STEN, (had one converted to a STERLING)... Mutual fund market underperformed for too long (my excuse anyway) so I cashed out several, and now have added a Reising Model 50 with folding stock (2012), literally waiting anyday for the Reising Model 55 form to show up so I can pick it up. And last and BEST of all, have two Colt 1921A's in the incubator waiting to hatch out in March and April. As I get longer in the tooth have "invested more" in full auto's. So far much better return on my money, and far more fun. Its a passion, and hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

Sandman1957

• Upvote 1

You know your class III gun is the most secure gun you have in your safe. I know the urban legend is that people will get your serial number then claim ownership. I have never ever heard of one case of this happening on any firearm. But there is no way anyone can claim ownership of that gun. It cannot be a stolen firearm for obvious reasons and I don't think there is a scam artist available that can forge paperwork and somehow get it into the ATF record system. But that is jmvho....

+1 I have never understood the widespread paranoia behind the phobia of revealing serial numbers. :unsure: Now, clowns are another story. :ph34r:

As a police officer, I can find out just about everything about you--as can others--from your cars license plate. But never ever trust a clown!

Pogo.jpg

I hear ya bro!

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/z3bigdaddy/Thompson%20Stuff/gangster_clown_girl_machine_gun_pin_up_zpsaf3ce29d.jpg

I never liked clowns...until now.

Ok you guys, stop clowning around! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v344/thetoolman/24.gif

If the serial number ends in a "A" like mine, 587A, then it would be a West Hurley. If his does not, then it could be a real 3 digit early Savage gun.

My M1 Bridgeport is 511626 made in 1943.

We would love to see pics of it please.

Thanks for getting the thread back on topic... I was not sure how to do that . Been a registered user for a long time, but not an active participant....

So, I will indeed post some pictures once I figure out how to do that.

In answer to your question however, it is not a West Hurley the serial number is just 817 (I will fight my paranoia about posting serial numbers). On the right side it says Bridgeport, but the US Property stamp is a Savage style stamp. The gun has 2 stamps on the front left by the barrel. I don't have it in front of me now, but one looks like crossed and one is initials... J something from my memory. JEC or JHB or something like that.

I will work on the picture upload.

Looks sweet!

Is there a serial number stamped on the lower's trigger guard area?

Small Allen screws holding on the rear sight. Maybe pick up an unprotected L sight and no cross bolt stock. Is there a "S" in front of the mag well on the underside?

Is this a post sample? The nomenclature looks like it is engraved with no metal displacement. I know it's been refinished but there is no variation in the letters depths. There are very little machining marks. Richardson receiver?

Thanks for the photos.

Others will chime in with more info.

TC

Edited by ThompsonCrazy

It does have a serial number on the trigger... 312503. I cannot find any S on the lower. Nor can I find the Auto Ord stamp. Seems like a Savage lower due to the Full being placed over the Auto. According to American Thunder II, that is how Savage did it

Yes small allen heads holding site on.

This is not a post sample... if I understand what that means. This is a fully transferable gun that I just received

Clearly been refinished .

I picked this up from David Spiwak. His best guess that it was a DEWAT at some point, and reactivated and registered. The reason that site has the allen heads is that the guy that registered it put his name under it. R.W. Urich. So that it is easily removable.