Where To Put Sbr Markings On Semi?

Hey guys, did a search didn't come up with any hits. Where are you guys putting your SBR markings for the semi's at? Anyone find a spot that looks nice on the weapon?

I'm just finishing up my west hurly semi build and I sent in the paperwork for the SBR. I figured I might as well put the markings on it before I black oxide it.

It's a west hurley 27a1 receiver on a 28a1 WWII frame with a horizontal grip and soon to be 10.5 WWII barrel with comp.

I would like to put it somewhere where it won't be too fugly.

Thanks in advance guys.

cplnorton2,

What markings are you putting on? I think you started with a WH Semi-Auto reciever and added a TSMG frame. If that is the case you are not building from parts since you started with a legal semi-auto. You are modifying a currently legal rifle ( the firearm is the reciever). The rifle should be registered as a WH SBR with the serial number that is on the reciever, no new markings required. The serial no & maunufacturer as required in 4a on Form 1 are already on the rifle. If you started with a 80% reciever or a weld up then your name & location go on the rifle along with the Serial number.

From Form 1 instructions:

h. SERIAL NUMBERS AND OTHER MARKINGS. If an existing firearm is being modified into an

NFA firearm, enter the existing serial number of the firearm into item 4g and the name and address

of the original manufacturer into item 4a. DO NOT ALTER OR MODIFY THE EXISTING SERIAL

NUMBER. If the NFA firearm is being made from parts, your name and address are to be entered

into 4a and a serial number you create is to be entered into item 4g.

Joe

cplnorton2,

What markings are you putting on? I think you started with a WH Semi-Auto reciever and added a TSMG frame. If that is the case you are not building from parts since you started with a legal semi-auto. You are modifying a currently legal rifle ( the firearm is the reciever). The rifle should be registered as a WH SBR with the serial number that is on the reciever, no new markings required. The serial no & maunufacturer as required in 4a on Form 1 are already on the rifle. If you started with a 80% reciever or a weld up then your name & location go on the rifle along with the Serial number.

h. SERIAL NUMBERS AND OTHER MARKINGS. If an existing firearm is being modified into an

NFA firearm, enter the existing serial number of the firearm into item 4g and the name and address

of the original manufacturer into item 4a. DO NOT ALTER OR MODIFY THE EXISTING SERIAL

NUMBER. If the NFA firearm is being made from parts, your name and address are to be entered

Not owning a SBR (yet), I'm only wondering why the AR15.com crowd has expended 3.2 gigawatts of power discussing how they have to mark their AR lowers with name and city for SBR use. There must be more to this?

cplnorton2,

Joe

If you start with a 16" WH Semi and do a Form 1 to put on a less than 16" barrel you are the Maker of a Title II Firearm.

As such you must add your name and City/State.

From Chapter 6. Nfa handbook, Batf

The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model,

and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon.96 The

marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to

section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements.

cplnorton2,

Joe

If you start with a 16" WH Semi and do a Form 1 to put on a less than 16" barrel you are the Maker of a Title II Firearm.

The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model,

and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon.96 The

marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to

My sot said when i convert mine, hes putting markings on underside of barrel, just so if i want to sell it later and have to take it off nfa reg, receivers not altered and can put the 16" barrel back.

cplnorton2,

Joe

My sot said when i convert mine, hes putting markings on underside of barrel, just so if i want to sell it later and have to take it off nfa reg, receivers not altered and can put the 16" barrel back.

My understanding and I am not an espert is the ATF says once a SBR it will always be one and will have to be transfered.

An SBR can be delisted by notifying the ATF in writing. Once they concur the long barrel can be reinstalled and the weapon is removed from the registry. (No tax refund by the way). A machine gun, however is always a machine gun, since the receiver is the controlled part of the firearm.