Colt # 4723

Stumbled upon this gorgeous condition Colt 21A at the Suffolk County Police Museum about 10 minutes from my house!!

I cannot find the provenance on this serial number (perhaps in Gordon's book which I don't have).

Thing to be aware of is that the Suffolk County Police department was not founded until 1960.

Up until then, every little town in Suffolk County on Long Island, New York had it's own police department.

This particular gun could have come from any number of them, including Brookhaven, Islip, Patchogue, Babylon, Riverhead, etc...

Anyway, the gun is in excellent shape, some minor wear about the rear of the receiver, but no pitting whatsoever. Drum is missing the winding key, but looks nice.

The wood is immaculate. It looks like it was manufactured yesterday. The finish is amazing, really something to see.

Downside is you can hardly see it in the case, the lighting sucks.

I'm going to get in touch with the curator and see if I can arrange to photograph it outside of the case.

Also if he has any idea of it's history. Nice manual (or catalog) right beneath it also.

Sorry for the photos, best I could do with the lighting and a flash.

Cheers, Craig Zamm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/zamm/ST1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/zamm/ST5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/zamm/ST2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/zamm/ST4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/zamm/ST3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/zamm/ST7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/zamm/ST6.jpg

Edited by Zamm

Zamm,

Great find. I checked in Gordon's book; no information was found. This is a new one!

Is that a "U" marking on the front cover of the drum? If so, the drum (or cover) is of WWII era. When you go back, please ask about the 1929 catalog. The cover appears a little too white but that may be the picture. My first impression was this catalog was one of the older reprints that surfaced recently on the market. These reprints are a must have for anyone that cannot find an original 1929 catalog or does not want to pay the going price for an original.

Again, this is a great find. Thanks for sharing and keep us updated.

I own the sister gun to this one. Both came out of a village PD in Suffolk. This particular one went to the Suffolk PD museum some time ago but the other stayed at the village PD until I found it there.

Philasteen,

Cool. I actually heard rumors years ago (possibly from Tommygunner) that there where a couple of Colt's floating around the Suffolk PD.

And there you have it.

Very cool, best,

Z

Zamm,

Great find. I checked in Gordon's book; no information was found. This is a new one!

Is that a "U" marking on the front cover of the drum? If so, the drum (or cover) is of WWII era. When you go back, please ask about the 1929 catalog. The cover appears a little too white but that may be the picture. My first impression was this catalog was one of the older reprints that surfaced recently on the market. These reprints are a must have for anyone that cannot find an original 1929 catalog or does not want to pay the going price for an original.

Again, this is a great find. Thanks for sharing and keep us updated.

T.D.,

Yes, I'll ask about the catalog.

It sure did look a bit too pristine, but you never know, they had some nice stuff in great shape there.

And going back to one of the shots of the drum, I was able to pull up the rez...there's the "U" big as day.

Z

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/zamm/ST10.jpg

Zamm

Nice find

When you manage to get the curator to open up the case for close photos.

Suggest you kindly offer to assist to properly mount the Thompson, something other than that hanging wire!!

Jeez that is just cheesy for what is arguably one of the most if not the most famous firearm in the Americas.

Of course the curator could take offense to any suggestion that the display is cheesy, so maybe wait until after you snap the photos.

Couple ideas, Gordon's stands, or I could think of a couple ways to mount posts off of the shelving supports.

either way the wire just does not do it justice now.

michael

I own the sister gun to this one. Both came out of a village PD in Suffolk. This particular one went to the Suffolk PD museum some time ago but the other stayed at the village PD until I found it there.

Philasteen,

Cool. I actually heard rumors years ago (possibly from Tommygunner) that there where a couple of Colt's floating around the Suffolk PD.

And there you have it.

Very cool, best,

Z

the suffolk county PD is a relatively young agency - it dates back to somewhere around 1960 and would not have bought Thompsons although maybe a few surplus ones wandered in. I think this tommy was given to the museum by the village around 1988 if I recall correctly. the reason the other Colt didn't go there (and I got it) was because the department chief kept it at home and didn't return it for many years post retirement. I got it out for sending in 4 M4/M16s and an holosight for each.

there is still one Colt left in a village PD on eastern long island but it is a Form 10 gun unfortunately and in rough shape. They were not interested in parting it. I also got excited about a lead on another in Westchester but it turned out to be a savage and a Form 10.

Zamm

Nice find

Suggest you kindly offer to assist to properly mount the Thompson, something other than that hanging wire!!

Jeez that is just cheesy for what is arguably one of the most if not the most famous firearm in the Americas.

Of course the curator could take offense to any suggestion that the display is cheesy, so maybe wait until after you snap the photos.

Couple ideas, Gordon's stands, or I could think of a couple ways to mount posts off of the shelving supports.

michael

Michael,

Yeah, I thought so too. They had enough sense to put felt where the wire threads through by the drum....

But, then they actually put a screw eye into the buttplate top hole where the top buttplate retaining screw belongs.

Yikes!! I did not want to linger much trying to see what type of damage it may have done.

I hope I can get a response from the curator or whoever may be in charge.

I tried a few years ago to photograph the one in the NY City police museum, but the curator would not even reply after 2 separate letters.

Then I remember reading that Gordon H. offered to clean up the gun, it is actually rusting right there in the case!!! And he got no response for his efforts.

Oh well, this one is in mint shape, oiled nicely. Hopefully I can get around to telling them to mount it in a more proper stand.

Best, C

the suffolk county PD is a relatively young agency - it dates back to somewhere around 1960 and would not have bought Thompsons although maybe a few surplus ones wandered in. I think this tommy was given to the museum by the village around 1988 if I recall correctly. the reason the other Colt didn't go there (and I got it) was because the department chief kept it at home and didn't return it for many years post retirement. I got it out for sending in 4 M4/M16s and an holosight for each.

there is still one Colt left in a village PD on eastern long island but it is a Form 10 gun unfortunately and in rough shape. They were not interested in parting it. I also got excited about a lead on another in Westchester but it turned out to be a savage and a Form 10.

Phil,

Yes, it was founded in 1960 by pulling together a lot of the towns departments.

There are still a few separate town departments out east, or what we call "the wilds" of Long Island,

such as East Hampton and South Hampton Police departments. :)

Great story, thanks for the info. Lucky guy!!!

C

Zamm

Nice find

michael

Michael,

Yeah, I thought so too. They had enough sense to put felt where the wire threads through by the drum....

But, then they actually put a screw eye into the buttplate top hole where the top buttplate retaining screw belongs.

Yikes!! I did not want to linger much trying to see what type of damage it may have done.

I tried a few years ago to photograph the one in the NY City police museum, but the curator would not even reply after 2 separate letters.

Then I remember reading that Gordon H. offered to clean up the gun, it is actually rusting right there in the case!!! And he got no response for his efforts.

Oh well, this one is in mint shape, oiled nicely. Hopefully I can get around to telling them to mount it in a more proper stand.

Best, C

If deerslayer doesn't have an extra stand I'll donate one of mine... Just sayin... It needs a proper stand

Zamm

Nice find

michael

Michael,

Best, C

When I first saw the picture I thought the screw eye was into the bare wood of the stock. At least they used an existing hole. A stand would be nice...

The best museum style stand I've seen were the ones that Bill Menosky designed and built for the SAR east show this year. The were unobtrusive, allowing the Thompson's to

be displayed in full glory. Attached photo at bottom of post.

-Darryl

Zamm

Nice find

michael

Michael,

Best, C

If deerslayer doesn't have an extra stand I'll donate one of mine... Just sayin... It needs a proper stand

Edited by darrylta

Well, Hopefully they will get in touch and I'll point out some of the things for sure. Great stands guys.

Z

:banghead: As is usually the case with me, I'm on Long Island today but leaving tomorrow before 12 noon. Always "almost" close to the Thompsons. But thanks for the gorgeous pics, very cool indeed.

Ron Mills

:banghead: As is usually the case with me, I'm on Long Island today but leaving tomorrow before 12 noon. Always "almost" close to the Thompsons. But thanks for the gorgeous pics, very cool indeed.

Ron Mills

Jeez Ron,

Next time give a shout-out and we'll get a beer and go have a look at that Colt!

Zamm

Ron Mills

Jeez Ron,

Next time give a shout-out and we'll get a beer and go have a look at that Colt!

Zamm

You got it! Thanks again for all the nice pics.

Ron