Anyone Ever Hear Of The Maytag Collection?

Brian,

This is a new one on me. It appears NO 2889 is a Roger Cox gun. Gordon lists it as being from the Clinton, Iowa Police Department. The Clinton, Iowa PD had two Colt Thompsons and Cox obtained both as per Gordon's book.

I went ahead and started the bidding at 5K - that should get the dealer excited!

OK, I wonder if that owner was the loneliest Tommy gunner in town :banghead: Only the old guys here will remember that connection.(I'm including myself in that bunch).

Some strange wear on the right side of the buttstock, or a strange grain. Other than that the gun sure looks good.

I'm out to sea for 6 months working starting Sunday, so carry on here lads. I'll keep the pirates away with me bare hands, arr. I'll check in sometime soon as seagoing internet allows.

R. Mills

same question for me, the buttstock just doesn't look correct, does it? the metal looks fine, the profile of the wood looks fine, but the finish on the butt looks unlike other colts I have seen.

anyone else got a view on this?

same question for me, the buttstock just doesn't look correct, does it? the metal looks fine, the profile of the wood looks fine, but the finish on the butt looks unlike other colts I have seen.

Yes, the wood appears to have been refinished. Sort of like a Birchwood Casey finish.

I'm suspecting he put the butt stock in a Maytag washer on H.D. cycle to clean,

not much finish on edges of butt plate. Then all wood was given a varnish of some

type to get it nice and shiney and smooth. I think I'd try to get it to have sheen instead.

Curious, he's also selling a S&W revolver mod.36 -- new in box, so why do I see the

dreaded wear scratch in the blue all around the cylinder? I guess they rotate themselves

in the box when they are bored.

Looks like the 28N would be a pretty shooter.

Bill

• Upvote 1

I'm suspecting he put the butt stock in a Maytag washer on H.D. cycle to clean,

not much finish on edges of butt plate. Then all wood was given a varnish of some

type to get it nice and shiney and smooth. I think I'd try to get it to have sheen instead.

Curious, he's also selling a S&W revolver mod.36 -- new in box, so why do I see the

dreaded wear scratch in the blue all around the cylinder? I guess they rotate themselves

in the box when they are bored.

Looks like the 28N would be a pretty shooter.

Bill

New in box...

In a new box...

Simple mistake.

• Upvote 1

Yes, the wood appears to have been refinished. Sort of like a Birchwood Casey finish.

OMG Chuck, B Casey is turning over in his grave (if he's dead) with that comment. I tried to rationalize that wood using the "harsh lighting" excuse but any way you look at it, the wood is horrible. But with a little love.............

I got to play too. But then Someone trumped me.... LOL!

Anyone get much communication with this guy to make us want to pay more than what it is at now?

same question for me, the buttstock just doesn't look correct, does it? the metal looks fine, the profile of the wood looks fine, but the finish on the butt looks unlike other colts I have seen. anyone else got a view on this?
OMG Chuck, B Casey is turning over in his grave (if he's dead) with that comment. I tried to rationalize that wood using the "harsh lighting" excuse but any way you look at it, the wood is horrible. But with a little love.............

Bug,

No offense meant to Mr. Casey, his products are pretty good if you are refinishing a nice double-barreled shotgun. The dull brown glossy finish just doesn't look right on a Thompson submachine gun.

A nice 28 overstamp sold for an asking price of $28K on GB a month or so ago. Any 1921 is over $20K, so in between... based on condition.

I personally think this may have replacement wood. No way to see the anchor in pics. I also believe it is reblued sometime. My opinion.

It does have a drum with it.

Very nice shooter as previously mentioned. My guess is a good buy around $22, might go more.

Edited by giantpanda4

Definitely has the aroma of a fish market.

Just to chime in.........I have sold quite a few guns over the years and have had this happen to me. Set a reserve, get bids right up to it but it doesn't sell. I relisted below the high bid......and I sat on the gun with no bids. Some kind of weird auction thing.....maybe it loses its luster and excitement. A high percentage of auctions that I have listed have been won by no feedback or low feedback bidders. I think this is in part to lack of knowledge and experience. With that being said....could be fishy too though :-)