Transfer Times.....

Tokarev57

• 3 weeks later...

We are seeing 90 days +/- if filed eForm. Only trusts or corporations can do this.

Individuals must still go the CLEO/print/photo route.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my approved Form 4 today for my WWII Thompson M1A1, which I'll shoot for the first time tomorrow.

NFA item: Machine gun
Form Type: Form 4, submitted on paper
Transferee Type: Living Trust
Forms Sent: 5/9/13
Approved: 3/11/14

I'm certainly going to try to e-file from now on.

• 2 months later...

I got a Form4 approved on 5/17 and received on 5/23. It was an individual, not a trust. It went pending on 9/26/13, just a few days short of 8 months. Looks like the new examiners ARE clearing the backlog up, but damn...I bought the gun in March of 13, so from purchase to possession...14 months. It's a Ruger integrally suppressed 22/45 MkIII.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The trend graph on NFA tracker appears to be on a downward angle, which is great. I have another Thompson in the pending pile as of May 7th, just wonder how long this wait will be. Form 4 individual, C&R.

Was at my local gun store the other day and struck up a conversation with the guy who deals with their NFA items.

He confirmed that ATF had hired 23 new personnel to get through the paperwork and they've gone from processing 1,200 forms a week to over 2,300. Also added they started seeing processed forms coming back in 7 months, average is 8.

Hopefully this trend continues.

Edited by Newy1928

The hiring is quite real. The vacancies were posted on the fed web page some time ago. I've been babbling for a while that in a year things will be much different. Been saying it long enough, I am probably down to about 10 months where if nothing improves I will self demote to "internet expert" status. If the internet rumors are true, that menas BHO himself demanded the hiring and reduction in wait times. I don't believe that for a second, but maybe no one would write it if it wasn't true.

This was passed to me by a friend who is logged on to e-forms:

We are pleased to announce the following updates to the eForms system:

1. Performance enhancements – We were able to address some of the technical issues. You will see improvements in the overall performance of the system.

2. We are able to add the ATF Form 1 back to the eForms system. Our plans are to closely monitor the performance of the system in order to determine if we will be able to add additional forms back to the system.

Below is an update on the status on our processing of paper and electronic NFA applications. In the future, this information will be available through links on the eForms login screen:

In follow-up to ATF’s letter dated April 16, 2014, regarding the status of the eForms system; this update is being provided to inform the industry of ATF’s progress in addressing eForms and paper NFA applications. To accommodate the substantial increase in application volume that has recently occurred, ATF is working diligently to decrease processing times while continuing to enhance the eForms platform.

What is our progress to date?

From a peak of over 81,000 pending NFA applications at the end of February 2014, as of June 18, 2014, ATF has reduced the number to less than 63,000 applications pending (23% reduction in pending applications). In the last four weeks, although the NFA Branch received over 17,800 applications we processed more than 22,400 applications.

• 3 weeks later...

I also got my form 4 MG-42 approved faster than my last transfers. 8 months from the day I mailed the application last November.

Just got a form four back, approved 7 months flat. From me to another VA resident. Paper Form 4. Things are getting better!!

That is good news.

Hope they continue progress with the time reductions.

When I had several form 4 transfers around 3 years ago, they were all 4 months -almost to the day, from time of initial mailing.

We e-filed a form 4 for an SBR back in February with the hopes of it clearing in 4-5 months. I received a call from my dealer a couple of days ago, expecting them to tell me that my stamp had arrived. Nope. Instead, he said that the BATFE had kicked my form 4 back because of some problem related to e-filing and now we have to start anew with filing a paper form 4. Ugh!

Form 4 (LLC to C&R)

Pending December 19, 2013

Approved July 21, 2014

Seven months.

Another one:

Form 4 (C&R to C&R)

pending February 21, 2014

approved July 23, 2014

FIVE months. (half the expected time that was quoted in February)

Calling that good news.

Edited by mnshooter